Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Improvements to the Protection Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yeah it's added to your online account as well so you can see that date.

How do they come up with the dates?  We started a 2 year contract in June 2011 carrying the PP the whole time and is set to expire in a few weeks. looking on the website it says we are eligible for a upgrade in Nov 2014.... just wondering... As much as i love the NFLST, the prices for everything are getting way to high and we are seriously thinking of "cutting the cord" next month.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   ericmylad

ericmylad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Guys, I'm a little behind on what the Genie can & cannot do so I'm hoping someone could answer a few questions about it for me. 

I currenlyt have 2 HD DVR's & 1 HD Receiver.  If I sign up for the Genie, do I have to get Whole Home with the minis  or can I just keep my 2 existing HD DVR's & trade in the HD Receiver for the Genie?  My thought is to just give the non-DVR back & keep the others so I don't have to pay extra for Whole Home (why sign up for it if you can just set the exisiting DVR's?).  Has anyone done it this way?

I called about the upgrade this morning & they did offer me a free upgrade to the Genie but wanted me to get Whole Home as well.  I said I'd call back later as I wanted to research the Genie more (sounds like the HR44 is the best model?).

What's everyone think?  Your thoughts are appreciated.

#203 OFFLINE   Mystere

Mystere

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Why do you want to replace hd equipment with the mini's?  You are then going from 5 tuners (2 from the HD DVR and 1 from each of the 3 HD receivers) to the same 5 tuners.  Unless you want to pause live TV in a room then changing from an hd receiver to a mini is more of a downgrade.  Also I would never suggest getting rid of an HD DVR when upgrading to the genie.  You should probably rethink this upgrade.

I have HR-22's and they are slow as hell.  How is the speed of the mini's vs an HR-22?  The Genie would give me more then enough Tuners.  I would upgrade my HR-22's to mini's if they are indeed faster.

#204 OFFLINE   timdh

timdh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Why do you want to replace hd equipment with the mini's?  You are then going from 5 tuners (2 from the HD DVR and 1 from each of the 3 HD receivers) to the same 5 tuners.  Unless you want to pause live TV in a room then changing from an hd receiver to a mini is more of a downgrade.  Also I would never suggest getting rid of an HD DVR when upgrading to the genie.  You should probably rethink this upgrade.

I am not all that knowledgeable about the capabilities of the different equipment so I'm not saying I made the best choice. I just looked on the DTV web site and it looked like the Genie had more features than any other piece of equipment and had twice the storage space. I assumed the mini-Genies were acceptable substitutes for the equipment I have now but I could be wrong. Please correct any of these assumptions as I have until Monday evening to back out or make changes.

The Genie itself is a DVR right? What wouldn't I want the Genie over the HD DVR? Don't they do the same thing really? I don't really need 2 DVRs. I don't watch that much TV! :) 

Do the mini-Genies support HD video? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't be acceptable replacements for a generic HD receiver. What am I missing on this? I do like the idea of having full DVR capability in each room too. 

It was explained to me that I can use 3 Genies at a time which is plenty for our house. We usually only have 2 TVs on at a time and only once in a great while have 3 TVs turned on. 

Sorry I am not more informed. I just watch TV and as long as it works I am happy. My post was not to suggest that I got the most awesome deal ever but just to inform as to what was offered to me. I felt happy with my options but keep in mind that I am a pretty basic TV user. 

Thanks.

Tim

#205 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

How do they come up with the dates?  We started a 2 year contract in June 2011 carrying the PP the whole time and is set to expire in a few weeks. looking on the website it says we are eligible for a upgrade in Nov 2014.... just wondering... As much as i love the NFLST, the prices for everything are getting way to high and we are seriously thinking of "cutting the cord" next month.

That's a very good question, and one I asked to both the front line CSR and then her supervisor.  Neither one had a clue how the date is calculated, what actions by the customer can extend that date out, etc.  I find that a little odd, since there has to be a logical calculation happening to arrive at the date for each customer.  So someone knows how it's calculated, just not anyone I've spoken to yet.  For all we know, if you accept a programming discount your date moves out another 24 months.  They couldn't even confirm that wouldn't change the calculated date.

#206 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

That's a very good question, and one I asked to both the front line CSR and then her supervisor.  Neither one had a clue how the date is calculated, what actions by the customer can extend that date out, etc.  I find that a little odd, since there has to be a logical calculation happening to arrive at the date for each customer.  So someone knows how it's calculated, just not anyone I've spoken to yet.  For all we know, if you accept a programming discount your date moves out another 24 months.  They couldn't even confirm that wouldn't change the calculated date.

Please read post #187.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#207 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

I have HR-22's and they are slow as hell.  How is the speed of the mini's vs an HR-22?  The Genie would give me more then enough Tuners.  I would upgrade my HR-22's to mini's if they are indeed faster.

The Genie is faster than your HR-22's though you may be able to speed those up by turning off the Native option (if it's on) and turning off "Scrolling effects".

Native: Menu > Settings and help > Settings > Display > Video
Scrolling effects: Menu > Settings and help > Settings > Display > Preferences

If you don't need the extra tuners than you may want to go with clients/mini's but if the Genie dies, so do the clients/mini's.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#208 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Do the mini-Genies support HD video? If so, I don't see why they wouldn't be acceptable replacements for a generic HD receiver. What am I missing on this? I do like the idea of having full DVR capability in each room too. 

It was explained to me that I can use 3 Genies at a time which is plenty for our house. We usually only have 2 TVs on at a time and only once in a great while have 3 TVs turned on. 

The clients/mini's do support HD but feed off a tuner from the Genie.  The only perk to having a client/mini is that you can pause live TV.  That's about it.  HD DVR and HD receivers can still watch anything recorded on the Genie or on another HD DVR.  The major downside is if you have a Genie and clients only, if the Genie has a problem, your whole house is without television until you can get it replaced.

#209 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Since my post at #187 was rushed I'll put it this way.
Eligibility needs:

1st - having the PP on the account for at least 19 months. I say 19 because the first month after adding is free, so overall, it needs to be charged to the account for at least 18 months.

2nd - no promotional/discounted upgrades within the past 18 months while the PP has been on the account.

#210 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,815 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

The difference between hr34 and hr44 is like hr 23 and hr 24 in my opinion.

you are comparing apples to oranges here.  The HR24 has a newer faster processor than the HR23, the HR24 has built in DECA the HR23 does not.  these are some of the differences among others.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#211 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

I still feel this new PP increase is a rip off.

Don't ask for a 24 month commitment then on top of increased price since you still have to lease it anyway.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#212 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

My page says December 13 2013 for my upgrade.  I bet you anything you can not pick your upgrade. Because it says come back to that page and see what your upgrade is. :nono2:

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#213 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

Since my post at #187 was rushed I'll put it this way.
Eligibility needs:

1st - having the PP on the account for at least 19 months. I say 19 because the first month after adding is free, so overall, it needs to be charged to the account for at least 18 months.

2nd - no promotional/discounted upgrades within the past 18 months while the PP has been on the account.

Does that include any programming discounts?  For example if you pay full price for an equipment upgrade but get a set number of dollars off your bill each month for a certain number of months.  I assume if you accept just a program discount without getting new hardware that transaction would not count against you for the free upgrade?

I guess to me the wording is a bit misleading in the marketing material (go figure huh).  It says you are eligible for one free upgrade every two years (or quoted from the email "New Benefit:  Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge").  So technically, if you didn't receive a "free" upgrade in the last two years, you should be eligible for one.  It should really read that you're eligible for a "free OR discounted" upgrade every two years.  Otherwise, if you accept a discount every once in a while you could end up never eligible for the free upgrade you are eligible for every two years.  Confusing huh?

#214 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

The Protection Plan Upgrade is a win/win scenario. The customer wins by getting upgraded with a "new" receiver instead of waiting for their receiver to fail and be replaced with a used, refurbished receiver. DirecTV wins by saving on costs for service calls and locking in the customer with a two year commitment. It's a sound business move.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#215 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Does that include any programming discounts?  For example if you pay full price for an equipment upgrade but get a set number of dollars off your bill each month for a certain number of months.  I assume if you accept just a program discount without getting new hardware that transaction would not count against you for the free upgrade?

I guess to me the wording is a bit misleading in the marketing material (go figure huh).  It says you are eligible for one free upgrade every two years (or quoted from the email "New Benefit:  Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge").  So technically, if you didn't receive a "free" upgrade in the last two years, you should be eligible for one.  It should really read that you're eligible for a "free OR discounted" upgrade every two years.  Otherwise, if you accept a discount every once in a while you could end up never eligible for the free upgrade you are eligible for every two years.  Confusing huh?

I believe the wording in the Protection Plan Upgrade offer states it cannot be used with any other offers. 

#216 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

The customer wins by getting upgraded with a "new" receiver instead of waiting for their receiver to fail and be replaced with a used, refurbished receiver. DirecTV wins by saving on costs for service calls and locking in the customer with a two year commitment. It's a sound business move.

Yea 2 wins for Directv,   And how do you know what model Receivers Directv will give you for an upgrade. They could make you sign a 24 month commitment on a refurbished HR22.  What you honestly think you're getting a Free HR44.  LOL ! yea OK.!

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#217 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Yea 2 wins for Directv,   And how do you know what model Receivers Directv will give you for an upgrade. They could make you sign a 24 month commitment on a refurbished HR22.  What you honestly think you're getting a Free HR44.  LOL ! yea OK.!

Per Webster-Upgrade: To exchange a possession for one of greater value or quality, trade up......Given that, I don't think DirecTV would do something like what you're suggesting. Read post #182. In my case my HR24-500 was replaced with a brand new Genie.

#218 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

. Read post #182. In my case my HR24-500 was replaced with a brand new Genie.

Of course it was. You upgraded to a Genie, well you can't get anything other then atleast HR34.  

If someone wants to upgrade their H25 for HD DVR, what makes you think Directv is going to Give you a Brand new HR24?      Not going to happen!!!!  Maybe by extreme luck.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#219 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Given that, I don't think DirecTV would do something like what you're suggesting.

You think a customer with an SD receiver wanting to upgrade to HD DVR is getting HR24?   Sorry I see him getting HR22.   That's still a step up in the eyes of an upgrade. 

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#220 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Sorry but you guys are getting fooled, Directv is just trying to make their Price increase look pleasing to the EYE. Everyone knows when it comes near commitment end, Free upgrades are not or never were uncommon.

But some of you seem to think so!

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#221 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Of course it was. You upgraded to a Genie, well you can't get anything other then atleast HR34.  

If someone wants to upgrade their H25 for HD DVR, what makes you think Directv is going to Give you a Brand new HR24?      Not going to happen!!!!  Maybe by extreme luck.

"Any" HD DVR model would be a "upgrade' from a H25 model.

• damondlt likes this

#222 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Sorry but you guys are getting fooled, Directv is just trying to make their Price increase look pleasing to the EYE. Everyone knows when it comes near commitment end, Free upgrades are not or never were uncommon.

But some of you seem to think so! 

In reference to my post #182 my HR24-500 was failing. I was out of contract with DirecTV. I had two options. Stay out of contract and request a replacement HD DVR which would have been a used, refurbished HR24 or take advantage of the new Protection Plan Upgrade offer. Naturally I chose the latter. How was I fooled?

#223 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

"Any" HD DVR model would be a "upgrade' from a H25 model.

Exactly!

But I can get that free offer without subscribing to the protection plan for 2 years.

That's my point! Why don't they just come clean and tell us they aren't making as MUCH profit as they want on $5.99 instead of trying to make it look like they are doing us a favor for the extra money it costs the customer.

That brings me up to a $14 increase per month this year.
10% increase. That's official now Directv cost me more per month then my Car Insurance ($95), Electric Bill ($115) and 3 Cell phones ($157)

Directv($167)

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#224 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

In reference to my post #182 my HR24-500 was failing. I was out of contract with DirecTV. I had two options. Stay out of contract and request a replacement HD DVR which would have been a used, refurbished HR24 or take advantage of the new Protection Plan Upgrade offer. Naturally I chose the latter. How was I fooled?

You wouldn't have needed the protection plan for an upgrade while out of a commitment.

My sister just got a Genie 2 months ago for free, and she never subscribed to the protection plan.

Arris Touchstone DG1660

#225 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Exactly!

But I can get that free offer without subscribing to the protection plan for 2 years.

That's my point! Why don't they just come clean and tell us they aren't making as MUCH profit as they want on $5.99 instead of trying to make it look like they are doing us a favor for the extra money it costs the customer.

That brings me up to a $14 increase per month this year.
10% increase. That's official now Directv cost me more per month then my Car Insurance ($95), Electric Bill ($115) and 3 Cell phones ($157)

Directv($167)

Well, if you're not pleased with the cost of your DirecTV service what's stopping you from terminating? DirecTV is a business. As a businessman I understand that profits are the name of the game. Like they and other businesses I too look for ways of increasing my profit margin. Nothing illegal or immoral about it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...