Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Improvements to the Protection Plan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
419 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Registered
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

The question may be what you may want to get in the future.  Many people are talking about removing the PP after getting their upgrades but there is already an HR46 in the works.  It may be worth keeping to get the receivers they have come out in the future.

yeah good point.  plus with all this equipment I have,  I may want to keep for piece of mind.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

yeah good point.  plus with all this equipment I have,  I may want to keep for piece of mind.

Ironically the "peace of mind" was the original intent for the PP.  Now, with the speed that technology is advancing in the television world, it give you the added perk of getting what all the new customers are getting every couple years. :)

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#163 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ironically the "peace of mind" was the original intent for the PP.  Now, with the speed that technology is advancing in the television world, it give you the added perk of getting what all the new customers are getting every couple years. :)

But, you have to remember that if you have a DVR (say a HR23) and you decide to upgrade that with another DVR, it does not mean you will get an HR24. You will get any DVR that is available at that time. If you decide to go to the Genie platform with that upgrade, you might get a HR34 or HR44.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#164 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

But, you have to remember that if you have a DVR (say a HR23) and you decide to upgrade that with another DVR, it does not mean you will get an HR24. You will get any DVR that is available at that time. If you decide to go to the Genie platform with that upgrade, you might get a HR34 or HR44.

- Merg

Well yeah, an upgrade is going from one receiver type to another, not to another model of the same receiver type.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#165 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

So, going from an HR24 to an HR22 is an upgrade???

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#166 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

So, going from an HR24 to an HR22 is an upgrade???

Read my post again.  An upgrade is going from one type of receiver to another.  Going from HD to an HD DVR is going from one type to another.  There is no upgrade for the going from one model to another, as in going from HR24 to HR22.  Technically they can put that in the system but can't guarantee the receiver model.  You would never want to waste an upgrade in the hopes of getting a newer model.

#167 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Fyi for people who are planning on canceling the PP after they get their free equipment upgrade---not so fast there kowalski. Heard DirecTV is aware customers are going to try to do that and are most likely going to come up with some charge for doing so like how they charge a 10 ecf if you don't have the pp for a year.

Edited by Volatility, 07 May 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#168 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Fyi for people who are planning on canceling the PP after they get their free equipment upgrade---not so fast there kowalski. Heard DirecTV is aware customers are going to try to do that and are most likely going to come up with some charge for doing so like how they charge a 10 ecf if you don't have the pp for a year.

The smart thing would be to do something like the ETF.... Start it off at $191 dollars (2 year agreement).. every month you keep it goes down $7.99.... if you cancel it 3 months down the line you pay the remaining months in a ETF. You know there will be some that will try and wait six months then cancel just so Directv don't think they used the PP for new stuff.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#169 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't see there being much of a retroactive penalty for customers.  They would need to have the PP active for 18 to begin with, they'll have a new 24 month agreement(assuming hd equipment) and if it's removed, they would have to add it back and wait another 18 months from the start of it being chargeable.

#170 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Read my post again.  An upgrade is going from one type of receiver to another.  Going from HD to an HD DVR is going from one type to another.  There is no upgrade for the going from one model to another, as in going from HR24 to HR22.  Technically they can put that in the system but can't guarantee the receiver model.  You would never want to waste an upgrade in the hopes of getting a newer model.

You are correct in that it could very well be a waste of an upgrade to go from a HR2x to a HR2x as you don't know what model you will receive. Unfortunately, the way the DirecTV system works is that if you deactivate a receiver and activate a new one, that is considered to be an upgrade no matter what type of receiver you are going from and to. I was just tying to point out that you shouldn't expect to go from an HR22 to a HR24 as a certainty when performing the upgrade.

- Merg

#171 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

After performing the upgrade, DirecTV has the customer on the hook for 2 years with the new commitment. They really wouldn't care too much if someone canceled the PP after performing the upgrade.

- Merg

#172 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

You are correct in that it could very well be a waste of an upgrade to go from a HR2x to a HR2x as you don't know what model you will receive. Unfortunately, the way the DirecTV system works is that if you deactivate a receiver and activate a new one, that is considered to be an upgrade no matter what type of receiver you are going from and to. I was just tying to point out that you shouldn't expect to go from an HR22 to a HR24 as a certainty when performing the upgrade.

- Merg

I was trying to back you up to avoid the confusion that still seemed to happen based on usnret's post.

#173 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

After performing the upgrade, DirecTV has the customer on the hook for 2 years with the new commitment. They really wouldn't care too much if someone canceled the PP after performing the upgrade.

- Merg

I'm curious to see how much longer the agreement tactic keeps people with a service.  Our current culture is devaluing the dollar or, at least, saving a dollar.  Seems like more and more people are willing to throw money at the cancellation fee instead of maintaining service at regular cost. 

#174 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

the way the DirecTV system works is that if you deactivate a receiver and activate a new one, that is considered to be an upgrade no matter what type of receiver you are going from and to.

Excluding service swaps, of course.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#175 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

<snip>  Seems like more and more people are willing to throw money at the cancellation fee instead of maintaining service at regular cost.

What's that based on?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#176 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

What's that based on?

Mike

Experience.

EDIT: personal and professional

Edited by goinsleeper, 07 May 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#177 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

What's that based on?

Mike

Cold Hard Facts. Working in the Cancellation Department, I get many customers who are willing to pay the ECF as the long run cost of keeping the services for the remaining of their commitment is more expensive than the ECF is. Even with discounts it is still cheaper to cancel. Many people now a days do not care about value and just care about the bottom dollar because of the economic climate....these are sad days.

reason for edit: shortened post.

Edited by Volatility, 07 May 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#178 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Excluding service swaps, of course.

Correct. I tried to phrase that as a way to exclude replacements from my explanation.

- Merg

#179 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I just called in today to participate in the free equipment upgrade program since I'm a long time protection plan customer.  All I was looking for was to upgrade an old SD receiver to an HD receiver so it would work with my whole home Genie setup.  I called and they told me I wasn't elegible for the free upgrade until October.  I asked why and the rep couldn't tell me, other than that's what it said on her screen.  Now I did upgrade to the Genie back in February 2012 at a discount, but it definitely wasn't free (I think I paid $199 for it).  Either way, she couldn't say that was what was pushing my eligibility for the free upgrade out to October.  So I politely asked to speak with a supervisor to see if they would have more info on the eligibility calculation (as I don't want to do something else on my account to push that date out further).  The supervisor came on and told me the same thing and apologized about not being able to explain the arbitrary date for eligibilty of the free protection plan upgrade.  So I asked him how could I know that ordering something else in the near future would not extend that date out further.  I think he felt bad about not being able to explain the new policy, so he finally ended up giving me the free upgrade that I wanted anyway - he had to put an override in the system to do this.  He then gave me the caveat that he couldn't be sure that this wouldn't push my October date out even further.  I was fine with that, since this is the upgrade I was interested in with this program anyway.  I wasn't looking for a free upgrade that I wasn't entitled to, but the email I received just stated that this program started on May 16th with the eligibilty based on your tenure of being in the protection plan, which I meet.  It didn't say anything about getting other equipment in the past at a discount.  So just a heads up to those looking to call in - you may not be eligible right away according to their system.  And they don't seem to have the information they need to explain why.

I was more than happy with the final outcome.  It was just a strange call since they couldn't seem to figure out how that date is calculated and what action someone could take with their account (like accepting some type of discount for equipment or programming) that could recalculate that date even further out.

#180 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I just called and schedule my free upgrade to a Genie through the new protection plan free upgrade offer.  I live in the Pittsburgh, PA DMA so I am crossing my fingers that I get an HR44 rather than the HR34.

Directv customer since 1996.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...