Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any way to connect Hopper to EHD that is connected to router?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

I assume the answer is no, but it would be cool if there was a way to do this:

I have a new router, and one of the features is that you can connect a USB hard drive to the router, and then any computer connected wirelessly to the router can also access the HD. Is there any clever way to get the Hopper to recognize and use an EHD through the router?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

While I believe the answer is NO, itwould be a nice feature . The only thing you'd gain is use of another USB port on the Hopper. The Hopper would still be the only device that could read the EHD due to proprietary encoding of the video data.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

No.

Once connected to a router, a USB HD becomes a NAS.  The Hopper demands exclusive control at the hardware level and a NAS cannot provide that.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Wait, I think I am asking a question in more ignorance than I realized! If I have an EHD hooked up to a Hopper, can my other Hopper and Joey also access that EHD? I.e. accessing it while it is still connected to the original Hopper? If so - yeah, not a lot of gain (don't have the Hopper set-up yet.)

#5 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Ignoring the Joey, the EHD is only accessable from the hopper it is connected to.  So if you have a hopper in the living room and the bedroom and the EHD is on the living room hopper only the living room hopper will be able to access it, not the bedroom hopper.

Now the joey, joey's are connected to a specific hopper.  I can't remember (as my joey is in my sisters room not mine) if the joey can view the EHD of the hopper it is connected to.  If the joey can access the EHD then you could always switch the joey between hoppers to access the EHD when you want to.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#6 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

If I have an EHD hooked up to a Hopper, can my other Hopper and Joey also access that EHD? I.e. accessing it while it is still connected to the original Hopper?

Joey, yes (if it's linked to the Hopper with the EHD).  Other Hopper, no.  I don't see why Dish could not make it so the Hoppers could see each others EHD.  Hopefully we'll gain that ability in a future software release.

Edited by LtMunst, 18 April 2013 - 07:09 AM.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#7 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Also, DISH Anywhere can see the EHD.

#8 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Also, DISH Anywhere can see the EHD.

Not on the Iphone app, unfortunately.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Wait, I think I am asking a question in more ignorance than I realized! If I have an EHD hooked up to a Hopper, can my other Hopper and Joey also access that EHD? I.e. accessing it while it is still connected to the original Hopper? If so - yeah, not a lot of gain (don't have the Hopper set-up yet.)

If you have an EHD connected to 1 Hopper, it is accessible from the other receivers connected to MoCA.  You can see the EHD on the drop down list for the receiver from the main DVR screen.  Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Minor correction...  Joeys can access the EHD of a Hopper they are linked to... but another Hopper cannot access an EHD that is not directly connected to it...

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#11 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Hopper can access NAS devices thru DLNA.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hopper can access NAS devices thru DLNA.

It would be different story .. because you can't transfer events from EHD to NAS :(

spam firewall