Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Does anyone with 0x6BD have an HR24-500 that became non-responsive with 0x66D?  I am curious if the problem is fixed with 0x6BD (I sure hope so!) -- There were a few problems I had with 0x66D:

1. Sometimes when pressing Guide, the guide pops up, but data does not populate for about 20-30 seconds (the area where shows are listed has nothing in it) - this happens randomly and is not constant

2. Randomly when pressing a button on the remote or on the DVR itself, the HR24 will not respond for about 20-30 seconds.  Eventually the HR24 comes back to life but it takes awhile - and it can happen in the middle of pressing a sequence of buttons - so when I turn on/off captions, it sometimes will stop in between and I am stuck staring at the Info screen for awhile

I have a tried a number of 'tricks' to speed up the HR24 (re-installing 0x66D, clearing Guide cache, clearing NVRAM, checking the hard drive with the built in self-test). None of them worked.

Neither of these problems existed before 0x66D so I am hoping they will resolve themselves with 0x6BD.  I recently got 0x66D (2 weeks ago) so I'm not sure when 0x6BD will finally reach me - but if it fixes the problem I am hopeful I get it soon!

PS- Does anyone know if 0x6BD is available in the stream (as shown here: http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php?r=HR ) if I can force a download to get 0x6BD?

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Too soon to be 100% sure, but 0x6bd SEEMS to have fixed the "double-triple" number problem on my HR23-700

#23 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Maybe, but not everyone has one of those.

And I'm sure our plasmas at work with burnt in graphics from our monitoring software would more than prove to you that burn it does exist on plasmas.

Image Retention, or Burn-In has improved dramatically on plasma displays, but I agree wholeheartedly, it has NOT been completely eliminated, even in the newest consumer grade displays. Some people don't believe in equipment fans. Some people don't believe in UPSs to protect equipment. Some people don't believe burn-in exists any longer on plasma displays. Belief is such a personal thing. :dozey:

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

As others have said, the screensaver should not pop up on live tv.  The screen saver is for when you use pause.

If you are seeing the screen saver when you turn on your TV then you most likely have power saving turned on.

That Power Saver function doesn't do eSATA setups any good either.  Anybody with an external drive should disable the Power Saver function.  

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   statsumi

statsumi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Does anyone with 0x6BD have an HR24-500 that became non-responsive with 0x66D?  I am curious if the problem is fixed with 0x6BD (I sure hope so!) -- There were a few problems I had with 0x66D:

1. Sometimes when pressing Guide, the guide pops up, but data does not populate for about 20-30 seconds (the area where shows are listed has nothing in it) - this happens randomly and is not constant

2. Randomly when pressing a button on the remote or on the DVR itself, the HR24 will not respond for about 20-30 seconds.  Eventually the HR24 comes back to life but it takes awhile - and it can happen in the middle of pressing a sequence of buttons - so when I turn on/off captions, it sometimes will stop in between and I am stuck staring at the Info screen for awhile

I have a tried a number of 'tricks' to speed up the HR24 (re-installing 0x66D, clearing Guide cache, clearing NVRAM, checking the hard drive with the built in self-test). None of them worked.

Neither of these problems existed before 0x66D so I am hoping they will resolve themselves with 0x6BD.  I recently got 0x66D (2 weeks ago) so I'm not sure when 0x6BD will finally reach me - but if it fixes the problem I am hopeful I get it soon!

PS- Does anyone know if 0x6BD is available in the stream (as shown here: http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php?r=HR ) if I can force a download to get 0x6BD?

LIQiCE,

I have the same problems your describing on a HR22.. received 0x6BD last night and this morning the latency issue seems to be cleaned up. It no longer takes 30-40 seconds to delete a recording or bring up the menu. Sometimes I would fast forward through a recording and it would get stuck on FF1, would not go to FF2 or FF3, plus the FF graphic never popped up on screen. I ran through all the tests you describe and everything passed. I was about to call DTV to get a replacement this morning before I notice that we got a download. The guide is still populating but at least all my previous problems SEEM to be corrected... keeping my fingers crossed.

I was surprised by the download, because I just got 66D a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping this latency bug was a big issue and they fixed it. Else I may have to call in DTV and order my replacement receiver.

#26 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

according to my system menu I have 6BD since the 18th - on a DVR I had to replace because of these absurd lock ups with 66C that I THOUGHT were gone after 66d was pushed, but they weren't and I replaced the DVR because of an absurd number of partials that caused me to miss several baseball games. All these issues are mostly back but still  only on ONE of my DVR's -

Here's some other very interesting data - whatever was wrong with 66c was bad on the DVR but with 66D whatever was bad actually impacted my entire network, download speeds actually decreased by nearly HALF when that DVR (a brand new HR200 to replace what I thought was a broken HR500 that was all screwed up with the slow menu's and lots of partials) once 66d pushed. - I download a lot of large files and a have logs that show from the day the update was released my average download dropped to ~ 5 MB/s from my normal 9+ - so, three hours of equipment testing a new router later and no fix... once 66BD came down my download are back to close 9 MB/s but the crazy delays with the menu are still there. It's better, sometimes... but still dealing with anywhere from 20 second to a full 2 or 3 minute delay for somethings. Also still getting partials, but now at least it's just starting recordings late instead of just bailing out on the recoding after it started which is what 66c was doing for me.  I have a dozens of shows and baseball games where the first minute or two are missing because of whatever is causing these issues. Bottom line, there is something that has been hosed since 66C that is still causing issues, but --- at least since I got 66BD it's the rest of my network is running at full speed. I'm at a loss - checked all cabling, replaced everything RBR'ed a dozen times... it's just weird wacky stuff. 

It seems absurd to be upset about something like this, but after weeks of sometimes waiting minutes for the menu to respond it gets pretty hard to not want to hit the thing with a hammer.

#27 OFFLINE   waynedbs

waynedbs

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

The front panel lights on one of my two HR20-700's are dark after the update - no way to know if it's turned on or off.  Anyone else experience this?

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

The front panel lights on one of my two HR20-700's are dark after the update - no way to know if it's turned on or off.  Anyone else experience this?

You might have a failed Power Supply.  No way that I know of to fix that.  On the 24s, that would be easy to fix if you had a spare PS. I'm assuming the 20-700 doesn't work at all, is that correct?

No NR ever leaves everyone happy.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I woke up early this morning (East Coast) to force 0x6BD to install on my HR24-500.  After installing and letting it run for probably about 30 minutes (was getting ready while it rebooted) I ran through a bunch of different menus and remote commands and *knock on wood* so far 0x6BD has been good - no freezes or extreme slowness for me.

Hopefully some folks experiencing the problem with 0x66D will not have the same problems with 0x6BD.  For those still having problems, a couple of things I tried with 0x66D that didn't help but could help with 0x6BD:

I would try each of these individually to see if one in particular helped, if you still experience problems move onto the next...

1. Go to Channel 1 and let it sit for a few minutes

2. Go to Channel 1 and clear the NVRAM.  After switching to channel 1 let it sit for about 30 secs and then on your remote quickly press the following color buttons in this order: Red Red, Blue Blue, Yellow, Green - a message should appear in the lower left hand corner saying something like "Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared" - it is white text and can be hard to read if you're not looking for it.

3. Clear the Guide Cache by performing a Double Reboot,

- Doing this off memory so forgive me if it isn't exact -

Press MENU on your remote then go to Settings & Help -> Settings -> Reset -> Restart Receiver

Press the DASH (on the DTV Remotes, it is in the lower left below 7) on your remote to reset.
  After the receiver is finished rebooting (you see Live TV), reboot it again with the above steps to clear the Guide Cache

The 2nd reboot will take longer and this will mean the guide will take longer to populate and may impact upcoming recordings - so best to do this when no recordings are planned in the next few hours.

Will report back if any issues continue with 0x6BD - but I'm hopeful that the issue is resolved!

#30 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

I had the same issue. I pulled the plug, let it sit for 30 seconds, and replaced the plug. The machine rebooted and came back to life.

#31 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I am having the exact same non responsive problems with my DVR.  Honestly I have not tried all the things you have and am not sure what version of software.  Will check tonight and advise. 

#32 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

So far with using 0x6BD for a little while today - I've found I still have problems with the Guide taking a long time to populate but haven't had the DVR fail to respond to remote commands yet (except when the guide is taking a long time to populate).

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

So, what have you done?  Do the front panel lights come on if you pull the plug and reboot?  And then do they go off?  I"m having that problem.  20-700 again.  Time to pull out the 2TB drive and get a replacement.  I do own it.

Rich 

#34 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I woke up early this morning (East Coast) to force 0x6BD to install on my HR24-500.  After installing and letting it run for probably about 30 minutes (was getting ready while it rebooted) I ran through a bunch of different menus and remote commands and *knock on wood* so far 0x6BD has been good - no freezes or extreme slowness for me.

I hope that works out for you.  I too was hopeful after suffering through the debacle of 0x066a/c/d.  0x6BD seemed like it mostly solved the problems.  But after several days, I was pretty much back to the same.  It's maddening to try to change the channel when a commercial starts, and it doesn't happen until after the commercials are over and the show has returned.  This really seems like an epic fail for DTV's software engineers.  It's pretty bad when the HR20 and HR21 are the fast DVRs.

• GreenScrew likes this

#35 OFFLINE   boardwaxmax

boardwaxmax

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Received 0x6bd software download 48+ hours ago on my DirecTV HR21-200. Since this update I can't watch any recordings from my other DVRs.

21-200 will play it's own recordings and I can watch 21-200's recordings from other DVRs.. Amazingly the other DVRs have 66d software. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Received 0x6bd software download 48+ hours ago on my DirecTV HR21-200. Since this update I can't watch any recordings from my other DVRs.

21-200 will play it's own recordings and I can watch 21-200's recordings from other DVRs.. Amazingly the other DVRs have 66d software. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks!

You might try shutting down all your power to the MRV system, unplugging all your HRs and then bring up the MRV and then bring up each HR one at a time.  Don't worry if doing this seems not to work, it will take time for your UPL to populate.

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 324 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

HR24-500 - Two 1 hour shows recorded and when played back the minute timer on the bottom of the screen which comes up when you FF through a commerical shows the incorrect time.  The 1 hour recordings are there and can be watched, but at the end of 1 hour it shows the recording at 30 minutes.  Not a problem since all the shows record OK, just confusing the first time it happens.

If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#38 OFFLINE   boardwaxmax

boardwaxmax

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

You might try shutting down all your power to the MRV system, unplugging all your HRs and then bring up the MRV and then bring up each HR one at a time.  Don't worry if doing this seems not to work, it will take time for your UPL to populate.

Rich

Sorry, should have said I'd tried all the troubleshooting options. Nothing worked. Bizarre other DVRs, with 66d,  can view recordings from 0x6bd perfectly. So it's either bad software or needs more time...I'm thinking bad software..

#39 OFFLINE   hobbes

hobbes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

HR20-700   20130426-3D05

HR21-200   20130426-3DC3

Received 0x6bd on my boxes on 4/23 and 4/24. Since then, live and recorded programs on the HR21 have a strobe-like choppy quality I haven't seen before. Also, when Whole Home connecting with the HR20-700, playback stutters and I get pixelization.

Have soft rebooted the HR21 twice with no improvement.

- HR20-700 to Samsung DLP S5687W via Audio/Video Conx: HDMI; DECA to router
- HR21-200 to Samsung LCD LN37B650 via Audio/Video Conx: HDMI; DECA to router; Slingbox Pro via Conx: Component
- Slimline3, SWM-8 with 4-way DirecTV installed splitter, ~50' RG-6 Dish to SWM.
- HR20-700 Setup: Native - On; Network - Yes; eSata - No; OTA - No. CID - No.
- HR21-200 Setup: Native - On; Network - Yes; eSata - No; OTA - No. CID - No.

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,536 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Image Retention, or Burn-In has improved dramatically on plasma displays, but I agree wholeheartedly, it has NOT been completely eliminated, even in the newest consumer grade displays. Some people don't believe in equipment fans. Some people don't believe in UPSs to protect equipment. Some people don't believe burn-in exists any longer on plasma displays. Belief is such a personal thing. :dozey:

And I've gotten it on an LCD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...