Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

And I've gotten it on an LCD.

Yeah get it on my ipad2 all the time. We know they don't use plasma displays in iPads.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone with 0x6BD have an HR24-500 that became non-responsive with 0x66D?  I am curious if the problem is fixed with 0x6BD (I sure hope so!) -- There were a few problems I had with 0x66D:

1. Sometimes when pressing Guide, the guide pops up, but data does not populate for about 20-30 seconds (the area where shows are listed has nothing in it) - this happens randomly and is not constant

2. Randomly when pressing a button on the remote or on the DVR itself, the HR24 will not respond for about 20-30 seconds.  Eventually the HR24 comes back to life but it takes awhile - and it can happen in the middle of pressing a sequence of buttons - so when I turn on/off captions, it sometimes will stop in between and I am stuck staring at the Info screen for awhile

I have a tried a number of 'tricks' to speed up the HR24 (re-installing 0x66D, clearing Guide cache, clearing NVRAM, checking the hard drive with the built in self-test). None of them worked.

Neither of these problems existed before 0x66D so I am hoping they will resolve themselves with 0x6BD.  I recently got 0x66D (2 weeks ago) so I'm not sure when 0x6BD will finally reach me - but if it fixes the problem I am hopeful I get it soon!

PS- Does anyone know if 0x6BD is available in the stream (as shown here: http://www.redh.com/dtv/index.php?r=HR ) if I can force a download to get 0x6BD?

This is my non-responsive problem with 6bd.  Had it with 66d, too.  Never had it before those two downloads on either my HR23 and HR24.  Now when I press RECORD, the red light and the on-screen information do not appear.  In fact, the HR23 and HR24 are actually recording, but they are just not telling you that.  35 seconds later after I press RECORD, the red light and on-screen information finally appear and the remote will work again.  That's right, during the first 35 seconds of a recording, both the HR23 and HR24 receivers are frozen and totally unresponsive to remote commands.  I can't even stop the recording during those 35 seconds.  I know this is software related because right after I first got 66d on my HR24, I forced a software download and 62c reappeared.  Then the HR24 started working properly again. 

#43 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

So far with using 0x6BD for a little while today - I've found I still have problems with the Guide taking a long time to populate but haven't had the DVR fail to respond to remote commands yet (except when the guide is taking a long time to populate).

I'm unhappy to report that I still have problems with the remote being completely non-responsive at times with 0x6bd.  The remote problem doesn't seem to happen as often on 0x6bd - but the guide problem happens all the time.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#44 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ever since I got 0x6bd one of my keyword series ("AALL HDTV RANGERS NNOT PREGAME" under category Sports -> Hockey) begins to record the game and then it stops after about 10-15 minutes and leaves me with just the beginning of the game.

It has happened twice since getting 0x6bd - hoping that it doesn't keep doing this.  Playoffs are about to begin!

#45 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

Ever since I got 0x6bd one of my keyword series ("AALL HDTV RANGERS NNOT PREGAME" under category Sports -> Hockey) begins to record the game and then it stops after about 10-15 minutes and leaves me with just the beginning of the game.

It has happened twice since getting 0x6bd - hoping that it doesn't keep doing this.  Playoffs are about to begin!

Just to be sure, set a MANUAL recording for the same approximate amount of time.  Real-time and manual recordings can overlap with each other with no problem.

#46 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Which is one of the reasons I want Voice Control for the 24 so my fingers can get a rest  :)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#47 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Why would you have burn in on LIVE TV, I understand if you hit the PAUSE button, but why in the hell if your watching LIVE TV

does that directv/customerexperience logo pop on? I dont care if its been 4 hours since I hit a button, I am watching LIVE TV.

the picture is changing constantly.  Good example is when I turn the TV on the screen saver logo is there, and you must press

a button to get LIVE TV back. This is just stupid. (DLP Televisions and Projectors do not have the burn in problems anyways)

It appears that the picture is changing constantly, but on many channels only part of the picture changes constantly. Pixels in any format age due to usage, and if the entire picture does not change randomly, parts will age faster than other parts, and that is burn-in.

Any channel that keeps a bug logo in the corner most of the day is a good example. Another is a TV At the airport that is on CNN all the time. They keep the same static lower-third graphic up all the time they are not in commercials. I can guarantee you that every TV more than 6 months old that is in an airport has burn-in, regardless of whether it is an LCD or not.

The "plasmas don't burn in anymore" argument is false. They burn in just as much as they ever have, because the technology has not changed; they are still plasmas. What has changed is that as a workaround they shift the picture a few pixels one direction or the other every so often, so that the burn-in is blurred and therefore not as visible. Still there.

But, that said, I still want control over the screen saver. I'd like to determine when it kicks in, and some fireplace or aquarium options would really be nice. It would also be nice if it didn't look like something from 1993. It's actually pretty annoying to have that dumb thing bouncing around if you pause and go to the iPad for a few minutes. We also don't really need the recently-added verbiage underneath which serves absolutely no purpose other than to make it that much uglier. At least they are not selling the space to advertisers (I hope DTV isn't reading this).

Edited by TomCat, 29 April 2013 - 07:18 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#48 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

TomCat I believe you are lumping Burn-In and Image Retention together. 

Burn-In is permanent, and doesn't really happen all that often anymore.  About the only time it does is in your example of a TV that is left on the same channel with the same image up for months at a time like the bottom ticker on CNN, or using it as a Windows monitor and leaving the Start bar up all the time.  That can and will develop burn-in and it is permanent, but it takes a lot to get it.

Image retention is more common, and it is better/worse on some TVs than others.  It is not permanent, and it will go away after a while if you watch different content that exercises the pixels differently.  For example if you were to watch a lot of 2.35:1 movies on a 16:9 screen eventually you may start to notice the black bars at the top/bottom starting to cause a noticeable difference in the picture when you watch other shows that are 16:9.  Or maybe you played a game too long, or left a channel with a ID bug in the corner on too long and you can see the heads up icons/bug outline after you switch to something else.  Watching other shows, using inverse slides (white letterbox bars top and bottom, black in the middle), etc. will eventually make that retained image go away.  It may take a few minutes or a few days, but it will go away.

Generally people using a TV in their home will not have to worry about burn-in, but they do need to be aware of image retention and how to avoid it, or help get rid of it if it happens.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#49 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

I was having this problem with 66C for a while with baseball games. I would get anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour or two of the game with about a 50% failure rate.

So far with 6bd, I've yet to get a partials like that (knock wood) except for delayed starts of a minute or two, but it hasn't ended anything absurdly early the way I was getting previously. Still have full up to 3 or 4 minutes delay when turning the box on, and sometimes up to a minute or two delay loading the guide and/or list - sometimes list is fast, but loading the show info to play is slow and I've noticed that trying to press stop at the end of a show rather than backing out or going to list or the guide is nearly always going to lock things up.

#50 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Should the HR24-500 lag issues be called in? I have 3 of them and reading others with the issue it leaves me wondering why we accept this receiver performance and talk about it here rather than call in a complaint? I'm just as guilty, and I imagine its because we all know its not defective hardware but rather buggy software that leaked through a porous QA process. Well, whatever the scenario, I have 3 of these receivers and after 3 weeks my patience is going very thin.

#51 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Should the HR24-500 lag issues be called in? I have 3 of them and reading others with the issue it leaves me wondering why we accept this receiver performance and talk about it here rather than call in a complaint? I'm just as guilty, and I imagine its because we all know its not defective hardware but rather buggy software that leaked through a porous QA process. Well, whatever the scenario, I have 3 of these receivers and after 3 weeks my patience is going very thin.

Agreed - it is on my list of things to do to complain.  I noticed I have an HR23-700 that is also experiencing the same symptoms as the HR24-500.  The interesting thing is that it is plugged into the same connection (that is then split with a SWM splitter) as the HR24-500 with problems.  The power inserter was also installed in this location (this was done by the initial installer, not me).

Another HR23-700 in a different part of the house doesn't have the problem - I wonder if this could be related?

Sounds crazy - I know, especially since I didn't have any problems before 0x66c - but I think I might be going crazy dealing with all the random delays out of my HR24.  I may try to replace the HR24 and HR23 in the same room with a single HR44 - if I can get one (would love to be able to outright buy an owned one, but this doesn't seem possible right now).

#52 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

I called several weeks ago when 0x66d caused both my HR23 and HR24 to freeze for 30 seconds after I pressed RECORD.  0x6bd didn't solve the problem.  My receivers start recording when I press RECORD, but the red light and the screen information don't come on for the 30 seconds that the units are unresponsive to the remote.  I have a case manager, and I have had 2 service calls.  The last technician here was an engineering liason person who said my units are fine, it's the software causing my problems.

#53 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Got the update last night, and for the second time in a row it wrecked the guide on one of my HR21s. Had to reboot twice to force the guide to repopulate. Hopefully it works a little better than last time, when it took 4 days to completely reload.

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,362 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Got the update last night, and for the second time in a row it wrecked the guide on one of my HR21s. Had to reboot twice to force the guide to repopulate. Hopefully it works a little better than last time, when it took 4 days to completely reload.

A software update causes the receiver to reset twice, dumping the guide data cache. This is normal operation. It takes approx 24'hrs for new new data to rebuild but your shows will record as usuall

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#55 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

The last 2 updates appear to me to reload the guide data faster than in the past. I got the new software, 4-30-2013 at 3:21 am. It has already filled in the full 13-14 days of info on my HR23 and HR24.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#56 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

A software update causes the receiver to reset twice, dumping the guide data cache. This is normal operation. It takes approx 24'hrs for new new data to rebuild but your shows will record as usuall

Yes, I realize that. But on that one particular receiver, the guide data for 95% of the channels doesn't come back unless I force a reload again. Even 12 hours later, almost every channel has "To Be Announced" from current time through to the end. Once I force a reload, the guide for the current time period immediately starts to populate.

#57 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I called this evening... CSR gave me some language about it being a known issue with a hotfix on the way "soon" --- gave me a 30 credit but that doesn't make it any less maddening how bad the last several weeks have been. Here's hoping the hot fix is soon, and it's an actual fix.

#58 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I called this evening... CSR gave me some language about it being a known issue with a hotfix on the way "soon" --- gave me a 30 credit but that doesn't make it any less maddening how bad the last several weeks have been. Here's hoping the hot fix is soon, and it's an actual fix.

They're just pulling your leg just to get you off the phone call, I just monitor this forum for any updates,  The only thing i notice on this SW is the updated channel logo"s which finally came but still missing some, and the new not subscribed message with ordering details with either calling,texting and order through Directv website, Like something you see from ordering PPV 

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#59 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

They're just pulling your leg just to get you off the phone call, I just monitor this forum for any updates,  The only thing i notice on this SW is the updated channel logo"s which finally came but still missing some, and the new not subscribed message with ordering details with either calling,texting and order through Directv website, Like something you see from ordering PPV 

Could be. Dunno... but I sure hope it's a known issue that is being worked on. 

#60 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Is my HR24/100 forever dead?  My two HR24's got Software 0x6bd, today 3:33a and one of them never came back to life.  It has a blue screen with the following: 

Scanning disk...

596 errors found.  3297 errors corrected. 

It shows a still-moving progress bar at 554 %

So its still trying to fix more errors than it found.  Should I leave it be?  Should I try a Reset?  Did the new software kill my HR24?  Any advice would be appreciated.

:scratch:

spam firewall