Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Received 06BD on our HR24-500 on Thursday morning. It wiped everything from the hard drive...all recordings and all season passes. I thought it might be a failing drive, so I ran extended diagnostics on the disk and it reported no errors. First time we have had a software update completely wipe the hard drive (but I have heard of it happening before). It is a real bummer...had a lot of recordings we had not watched yet.

Wow - that completely stinks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,030 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Wow - that completely stinks!

The odd thing is that in the past, all our receivers have always updated within a day or two of each other. But so far, 4 days later, the HR24-500 is the ONLY receiver to get 06BD.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#78 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I received the update a few days ago and my hr21-100 has gone from normal slow to glacial.  It's gotten so bad, I've added Channel 1 to my custom guide so I can go there and let it do it's magic before I clear the nvram.

Things I'm seeing since the update

1.  General slowness to inputs.  Sometimes I'm not even seeing the light on the display flicker like it's received the input.  However, if I wait 10-20 seconds or so, it will take the input and change the channel or bring up the guide.

2.  When I press guide or list, I'll get the shell of the guide or the list, but then it will be 10 to 15 seconds before any texts shows up.  I know I've seen this in the past with the list and I've written that off to me having a really large whole-home list.  However, I've never seen it this bad with the guide.  It's almost 100% repeatable when I come out of standby and hit the guide for the first time.  However, it also happening  every 3rd or 4th guide press as well.

3.  The disk churning is back.  Awhile back, we had a software release that made the DVR's really quiet.  I even commented on it in the issues thread.  However, in the past couple of releases, all that work went away and we're back to noisy DVR's again. 

Edited by Getteau, 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#79 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

At this point I would be thrilled to only have 10-15 second delays. I've started to get delays that now are routinely 3 minutes. My worst so far is a full six minute lockup.

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,108 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

The odd thing is that in the past, all our receivers have always updated within a day or two of each other. But so far, 4 days later, the HR24-500 is the ONLY receiver to get 06BD.

I got it on different HRs at different times too.  So far, one 24-500 and one 20-700 have been adversely affected, the front panel went out on the 500 and the 20-700 is just dead.  Also had a 20-700 replaced because it kept rebooting.  All were replaced with 24s, as usual.  Now I have only one 20-700 left.  I gotta say, in a quiet room, the 24-100s are a bit noisy.  I've got six of them and they're all noisy.  Not nearly as bad as the chattering of the 20-700s with a Seagate in them, but still noisier than the 24-200 (I just got another one!) or the 24-500.  Kinda disappointed in that.  Aside from the noise, which varies in intensity from unit to unit, I really like the 100s.  (Sounds blasphemous coming from me, doesn't it?) 

Rich

#81 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,603 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

At this point I would be thrilled to only have 10-15 second delays. I've started to get delays that now are routinely 3 minutes. My worst so far is a full six minute lockup.

So why not get it replaced?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#82 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

I did. This DVR is three weeks old. It was fine for the first day. Then it got the software update. Right back to the same issues.

#83 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I could also get them to replace my 3 HR24-500s but the end result would be that I lose all my recordings but still have problems...  They need to fix the firmware - once they do that we'll be able to replace the receivers that really do have hardware problems.  No doubt there are some that have hardware problems but at least for me the troubles (at least the most annoying ones) started with the last slew of updates...  Just after the first of the year.

I have no doubt that the most annoying troubles I have would go away if they reverted back to the firmware I had the end of last year.  I know that's not going to happen!  

Its too bad you can't 'lock' your receivers and block any updates.  I realize that some changes have to be made because DirecTV changes the way do things on occasion but short of that if I could have 'locked' my receivers before the HDGUI update they would still be the much quicker HR24-500s I bought (leased) to be rid of my POS HR22s.

#84 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

I could also get them to replace my 3 HR24-500s but the end result would be that I lose all my recordings but still have problems...  They need to fix the firmware - once they do that we'll be able to replace the receivers that really do have hardware problems.  No doubt there are some that have hardware problems but at least for me the troubles (at least the most annoying ones) started with the last slew of updates...  Just after the first of the year.

I have no doubt that the most annoying troubles I have would go away if they reverted back to the firmware I had the end of last year.  I know that's not going to happen!  

Its too bad you can't 'lock' your receivers and block any updates.  I realize that some changes have to be made because DirecTV changes the way do things on occasion but short of that if I could have 'locked' my receivers before the HDGUI update they would still be the much quicker HR24-500s I bought (leased) to be rid of my POS HR22s. 

I too am inclined to agree that this is clearly a firmware issue. I've mentioned in other threads that I believe it's somehow related to the network stack. Things all started to go wrong for me before 66C but as soon as that one came it it got way worse... With 66C in fact it was so wrong that whatever was broken with that release impacted my entire network. Machines that were averaging ~9Mb/s on large file downloads suddenly began to average ~6.5/7Mb/s. So, I bought a new router (150 bucks wasted) and spent 5 hours trying to isolate the issue with cables, switches, routers, and laptops all over the place. Direct connections to the modem and speeds were back. On the network still slow. I gave up. 66d shipped and low and behold my network speeds went back to normal. Somewhere in the mix I got a replacement DVR shipped thinking it MUST be hardware related. (22 bucks wasted and all my recordings gone from that old DVR) - boom. back to broken as soon as 6bd loaded overnight.

Here's another interesting data point that I'm still not exactly sure what it means - the other DVR's in my house can play content from the "impacted" DVR via the list function of whole home DVR without delay. Weird right?

I am inclined to agree with Mike Greer here, this has got to be some sort of firmware issue, albeit one that is obviously stumping D* engineers - just the number of threads that are being posted on the issues here and in other forums, many of which have obviously similliar symptoms but to varying degrees, something I've been attributing to differences in the network configurations of various homes. Coupled as well with the unusually large number of firmware releases in the last several months and I just don't find a way to come up with it being something other than some faulty software. I DO get that this is probably impacting only a small number of users overall, but that's no comfort to those of us for whom it is impacting...

Edited by dravenstone, 07 May 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#85 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

I too am inclined to agree that this is clearly a firmware issue. 

So then….can somebody explain to me why my HR24 is behaving "normal" and I am running the same firmware?  Is it that I am just lucky to get the lone HR24 that works fine?

Edited by peds48, 07 May 2013 - 02:51 PM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#86 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

So then….can somebody explain to me why my HR24 is behaving "normal" and I am running the same firmware?  Is it that I am just lucky to get the lone HR24 that works fine?

Sure - I said this above:

many of which have obviously similliar symptoms but to varying degrees, something I've been attributing to differences in the network configurations of various homes. Coupled as well with the unusually large number of firmware releases in the last several months and I just don't find a way to come up with it being something other than some faulty software. I DO get that this is probably impacting only a small number of users overall, but that's no comfort to those of us for whom it is impacting...

Edit: Further, I'd point out that I even mentioned I have other HR24's on my account not showing this issue... You're not the lone HR24 that works, I've got two that work mostly fine, and one that doesn't... 

Edited by dravenstone, 07 May 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#87 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,108 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Of course you're not.  My 12 HRs are running fine.  Altho the NR destroyed a couple...but I've come to expect problems after most NRs.  

Rich

#88 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Can you explain why so many people suddenly have hardware problems?  Why so many software releases over the last few months?

Your HR24 is behaving because it is your HR24.  Could be you don't notice the lag, could be you don't have the lag because of something else in your setup or could be that something in the setup of the rash of people that have troubles is causing it.  Who knows but it started with the update after update after update after the update just after the update.

Even in my own setup I have three different experiences with my 3 HR24-500s.  One constantly misses remote button pushes, is slow to update the screen and occasionally locks up for 1-3 minutes.  One misses remote button pushes here and there but otherwise behaves albeit slower than it used to.  The third one doesn't miss button pushes but does seem slower than the other two.  Before latest update the most troublesome receiver was hardly even usable.

That would be three HR24-500 all with the same firmware all under the same roof that don't perform the same.

#89 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

many of which have obviously similliar symptoms but to varying degrees, something I've been attributing to differences in the network configurations of various homes. Coupled as well with the unusually large number of firmware releases in the last several months and I just don't find a way to come up with it being something other than some faulty software. I DO get that this is probably impacting only a small number of users overall, but that's no comfort to those of us for whom it is impacting...

Edit: Further, I'd point out that I even mentioned I have other HR24's on my account not showing this issue... You're not the lone HR24 that works, I've got two that work mostly fine, and one that doesn't... 

Well said - if I get time tonight I'm going to disconnect my SWM from my Internet connection to see if it makes a difference if the Internet is not accessible.  I may even plug each HR24 into its own small Ethernet switch that isn't connected to anything just to disable the network by making each HR think it is using an Ethernet cable....  Maybe that will tell us something.

I have a feeling there will soon be another software upgrade for the upgrade that didn't fix the upgrade that was supposed to fix the other upgrade that was release to fix the upgrade! !rolling  

#90 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Of course you're not.  My 12 HRs are running fine.  Altho the NR destroyed a couple...but I've come to expect problems after most NRs.  

Rich

Show off! :)

#91 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well said - if I get time tonight I'm going to disconnect my SWM from my Internet connection to see if it makes a difference if the Internet is not accessible.  I may even plug each HR24 into its own small Ethernet switch that isn't connected to anything just to disable the network by making each HR think it is using an Ethernet cable....  Maybe that will tell us something.

I have a feeling there will soon be another software upgrade for the upgrade that didn't fix the upgrade that was supposed to fix the other upgrade that was release to fix the upgrade! !rolling  

I'd be very interested in your results if you have the time - I haven't had the time, nor the inclination, to go messing around with the network again since my last round of testing but I've been thinking about doing something similar, if it helps might be worth keeping the machines off network until that next fix comes around ;)

#92 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

I flushed it yesterday by rebooting it a second time immediately after the first reboot. I didn't see Pandora or YouTube last night but it was there when I checked this evening. So they must have come back at some point. I don't know if the flushing did the trick but, yay. Thanks.

I've been able to get Youtube and Pandora back by clearing the guide cache. You do this by rebooting (Restart receiver, preferably without using a RBR), and after the receiver fully restarts (You see live TV) - then reboot again (you have 30 mins after the first reboot to do it - but rebooting right away is fastest of course).

This will clear your guide cache and will mean the guide will need about 24-48 hours to populate. Recordings that are coming up in the near term should still record but may lack the program's description. I recommend doing it at a time when you do not have any recordings coming up - for me that is usually before I leave for work in the morning.

Edited by mikeny, 08 May 2013 - 12:32 PM.

SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#93 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Which HR24 do you have?  It seems like mostly HR24-500s are impacted by the problem.  As has been previously noted, network configuration could be a difference maker too.

I disconnected my Internet connection a few days ago - it seems to help a little, but my HR24-500 still has problems.  I didn't try hooking it up to an empty Ethernet switch to see if isolating it will help - might be worth a shot.  I agree though - network stack seems a likely cause to me.

Unfortunately - I don't think Directv is working to fix this problem, or at least I don't think we'll see a fix for it until the next major National Release based on the recent Cutting Edge releases.  It could be another 6 months until the next major NR.

I'm still having problems with my HR24-500 similar to the problems others are describing.  An HR23-700 that is connected to the same outlet (using a SWM splitter) also exhibits problems - yet a different HR23-700 in a different room exhibits no problems.  I'm not sure why.  I tried connecting the HR24-500 without the splitter and it did not fix the problem - I also tried buying a new splitter just in case it went bad and that didn't help either.  It definitely is a firmware problem - but maybe we can collectively figure out how to isolate the problem and maybe do something to get our receivers working properly.  Obviously some folks don't have a problem at all - it would be interesting to find out the configurations of folks who have no issues.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#94 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,603 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Which HR24 do you have? 

HR24-500

Don't know if it matters, but I did the install myself, and damn is very good install.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#95 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

HR24-500

Don't know if it matters, but I did the install myself, and damn is very good install.  

How many receivers do you have in your house?  Do you have MRV?  Are you using DECA or Ethernet?  Is your receiver connected to the Internet?  The way your system is hooked up could help us determine how to fix those of us who have issues. Thanks! :)

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#96 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

5 days on this release and have seen screensaver on live tv twice already...

also still takes 3-5 minutes to get audio out of optical port when coming out of standby..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#97 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

The engineering liason technician who came to my house did oodles of tests and then said my problems with my HR24/500 are software.  I keep telling my case manager to please reinstate 0x62c.  It was the last software that worked properly with my HR24 and my HR23.  Does anyone else besides me have the issue where when you press RECORD the receiver locks-up for 30 or so seconds?  Thanks!

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 08 May 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#98 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

With 0x06BD, I have twice had to perform an RBR on my HR21-700 after it became unresponsive to both remote commands and front panel touches.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

HR34-700/AM21N on ESATA WD30EURS & TT Max 5
HR24-200/AM21 on ESATA WD20EURS & TT Max 5
HR21-700/AM21 on ESATA WD10000CSRTL & Antec MX-1

#99 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

With 0x06BD, I have twice had to perform an RBR on my HR21-700 after it became unresponsive to both remote commands and front panel touches.

How long did you give it to raise from the dead?  I ask because one of my HR24-500s will occasionally lock up for 1-3 minutes and then come back to life.

#100 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

How long did you wait? My impacted HR24 routinely can be in a locked state like that for minutes at a time before clearing up. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...