Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

R22-100 got it yesterday morning and now AM21 will not connect.  Redid antenna setup twice, then unplugged from wall and disconnected AM21, reconnect and plug in and boot up, still no off air antenna connection.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I may try to replace the HR24 and HR23 in the same room with a single HR44 - if I can get one (would love to be able to outright buy an owned one, but this doesn't seem possible right now).

I'm having the same troubles as you with my 3 HR24-500s.  Better than the version before but it still sucks.  One thing to be careful of is that in reality an HR44 will likely be a temporary fix.  I know from personal experience...  I paid for my 3 HR24s to get rid of the problems I was having with 4 HR22s.  I paid $600 and a new 2 year commitment only to have them screw up the software on the HR24s.  It was good while it lasted but now the troubles seem to go in cycles.  

Whichever version of software gave us the worthless HDGUI was the first slap in the face and now it seems about every 5 or 6 months they screw up the firmware for 3 or 4 months.

It's getting to the point that it may not be worth screwing with anymore....

#63 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Is my HR24/100 forever dead?  My two HR24's got Software 0x6bd, today 3:33a and one of them never came back to life.  It has a blue screen with the following: 

Scanning disk...

596 errors found.  3297 errors corrected. 

It shows a still-moving progress bar at 554 %

So its still trying to fix more errors than it found.  Should I leave it be?  Should I try a Reset?  Did the new software kill my HR24?  Any advice would be appreciated.

:scratch:

Yep, HDDVR is dead, or dying… Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#64 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

This latest release, 0x6bd, definitely slowed down my channel change times on my HR23.
I rest the receiver, cleared the NVRAM, I have scrolling set to OFF, I have / had Native set to OFF.
I just switched the Native to ON just for the heck of it to see how much longer it was than with it OFF.
LOL, it is faster.
I have not tried this on my HR24 yet, probably do that in the morning when I am in that room.

Edit: I can't tell any difference on the HR24.

I noticed something on my HR23 last night that I have never seen before.
I play a recording, fast forward to the end, choose to delete it.
It deletes the program, the Playlist comes to the screen for a flash then it comes back to the screen and some of the text is messed up. Example: I have about 10 recordings, the 3rd one from the top is the movie "Taxi HD";. It will show as "Ta....HD". All of the other programs have long names and they show up like normal.
I can press the escape button to remove the Playlist from the screen, Press the List button and the screen and text is just as it should be.
Weird.

Edited by jimmie57, 04 May 2013 - 06:16 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#65 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 692 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

This latest release, 0x6bd, definitely slowed down my channel change times on my HR23.
I rest the receiver, cleared the NVRAM, I have scrolling set to OFF, I have / had Native set to OFF.
I just switched the Native to ON just for the heck of it to see how much longer it was than with it OFF.
LOL, it is faster.
I have not tried this on my HR24 yet, probably do that in the morning when I am in that room.

My 6 HR24-100's were always the cream of the crop of all my IRD's after returning the previous HR23's I was shipped, until the 0x6bd update.  Channel change times now feel like the HR23's I used to own, and the HR20-100, HR21, HR22's I still have a few of.  I wish the software engineers would not have significantly crippled my HR24's as they did with this update, Even a novice like me can notice a huge decline in speed with the HR24's I have.   :(

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#66 OFFLINE   BNut

BNut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Add me to the list of people who had problems with the 0x6bd software update on an HR22-100. My unit updated on Tuesday, April 30th and we instantly noticed problems with choppy video and audio. Another person described it as a strobe like effect which was similar to what we experienced. It affected live showed a little bit but was VERY noticeable on any shows that were recorded on the DVR. Even if they were recorded BEFORE the software update, they were still very choppy when playing back.  We also noticed problems with the DVR dropping input from our remote control and huge delays when selecting shows from the guide or are list of recorded shows. I also had the jitter on my screen like it was some type of anti image retention feature where the entire guide would shift by one or two pixels back and forth. It actually gave me a headache trying to read stuff because the image was constantly moving around by a few pixels.

After reading the advice here I tried the Red Button reset and then encountered the "Scanning Disk..." screen that takes roughly 45 minutes before it goes away after only scanning 9% of the disk. It reported 11 errors and says it corrected 1 but yet I still had the same number of errors found on the second reboot.  The reboots didn't have any improvement on the problems so I called DTV spoke to support, and as soon as I said "Scanning Disk" they said "known issue and we'll send you a replacement for $21.55" with tax. I'm hoping a I get a unit newer than my current HR22-100 but not sure what DTV's policy is on that. The support person said it would not be OLDER than my current one so we'll see. Support said I may get the new unit as soon as Monday but definitely by the end of next week.

Thanks again to everyone for posting their issues here so I didn't feel like I was going crazy!

Brian

Edited by BNut, 04 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

The reboots didn't have any improvement on the problems so I called DTV spoke to support, and as soon as I said "Scanning Disk" they said "known issue and we'll send you a replacement for $21.55" with tax.

Known issue = their fault yet you pay 21.55. I just don't get that.
For me a replacement unit did NOT solve the delay issues, but I never had issues with play back quality just getting guide/list etc is borked.
Good luck let us know if the new DVR solves all your issues.

Edited by dravenstone, 04 May 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#68 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

The trick into better remote response for channel changes to me is trying to flip channels continually in fast paced motion, there will be a delay at times when doing that but it works.
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#69 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I received this update on the morning of 5/2/13 and so far I haven't gotten YouTube and Pandora back.  System Test was ok. On Demand works.  This is only for 1 HR24-500.  The other two have You Tube and Pandora.  I rebooted yesterday and this morning.

SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#70 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 225 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I received this update on the morning of 5/2/13 and so far I haven't gotten YouTube and Pandora back.  System Test was ok. On Demand works.  This is only for 1 HR24-500.  The other two have You Tube and Pandora.  I rebooted yesterday and this morning.

I've been able to get Youtube and Pandora back by clearing the guide cache.  You do this by rebooting (Restart receiver, preferably without using a RBR), and after the receiver fully restarts (You see live TV) - then reboot again (you have 30 mins after the first reboot to do it - but rebooting right away is fastest of course).

This will clear your guide cache and will mean the guide will need about 24-48 hours to populate.  Recordings that are coming up in the near term should still record but may lack the program's description.  I recommend doing it at a time when you do not have any recordings coming up - for me that is usually before I leave for work in the morning.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#71 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Is anyone else having problems getting the Extra Innings channels to come up?  The HD channels simply never come on for me anymore and always show the DirecTV logo.  I can only watch the games on the teams' RSNs.  Why is this happening?

#72 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,528 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Is anyone else having problems getting the Extra Innings channels to come up?  The HD channels simply never come on for me anymore and always show the DirecTV logo.  I can only watch the games on the teams' RSNs.  Why is this happening?

You were offered advice here..... http://www.dbstalk.c...ings/?p=3133551

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#73 OFFLINE   BNut

BNut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Known issue = their fault yet you pay 21.55. I just don't get that.
For me a replacement unit did NOT solve the delay issues, but I never had issues with play back quality just getting guide/list etc is borked.
Good luck let us know if the new DVR solves all your issues.

I don't pay for the monthly protection plan which is why I have to pay for the shipping. At least that is what I was led to believe when I spoke with the CSR.

#74 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Received 06BD on our HR24-500 on Thursday morning. It wiped everything from the hard drive...all recordings and all season passes. I thought it might be a failing drive, so I ran extended diagnostics on the disk and it reported no errors. First time we have had a software update completely wipe the hard drive (but I have heard of it happening before). It is a real bummer...had a lot of recordings we had not watched yet.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#75 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

The on-demand Watch Now feature is fantastic.   But D* really needs to improve the on demand search UI.  Requiring T9-style searching is awful when you can't see the remote keys in a dark room.     Plus many of us use universal remotes without phone-style keypads. 

Try searching for South Park.  It's horrid.   I get a few random episodes, in a random order.   It should be more like netflix, where it neatly organizes shows by season/episode. 

Burn in is not a problem any more on newer Plasma TVs or on LCD or LED TVs.

Oh I assure you it is still a problem.   We bought a brand new 2012 Samsung plasma, and it has the KTLA-5 logo permanently burned in from watching the morning news.  :(

#76 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Received 06BD on our HR24-500 on Thursday morning. It wiped everything from the hard drive...all recordings and all season passes. I thought it might be a failing drive, so I ran extended diagnostics on the disk and it reported no errors. First time we have had a software update completely wipe the hard drive (but I have heard of it happening before). It is a real bummer...had a lot of recordings we had not watched yet.

Wow - that completely stinks!

#77 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Wow - that completely stinks!

The odd thing is that in the past, all our receivers have always updated within a day or two of each other. But so far, 4 days later, the HR24-500 is the ONLY receiver to get 06BD.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#78 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 805 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I received the update a few days ago and my hr21-100 has gone from normal slow to glacial.  It's gotten so bad, I've added Channel 1 to my custom guide so I can go there and let it do it's magic before I clear the nvram.

Things I'm seeing since the update

1.  General slowness to inputs.  Sometimes I'm not even seeing the light on the display flicker like it's received the input.  However, if I wait 10-20 seconds or so, it will take the input and change the channel or bring up the guide.

2.  When I press guide or list, I'll get the shell of the guide or the list, but then it will be 10 to 15 seconds before any texts shows up.  I know I've seen this in the past with the list and I've written that off to me having a really large whole-home list.  However, I've never seen it this bad with the guide.  It's almost 100% repeatable when I come out of standby and hit the guide for the first time.  However, it also happening  every 3rd or 4th guide press as well.

3.  The disk churning is back.  Awhile back, we had a software release that made the DVR's really quiet.  I even commented on it in the issues thread.  However, in the past couple of releases, all that work went away and we're back to noisy DVR's again. 

Edited by Getteau, 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#79 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

At this point I would be thrilled to only have 10-15 second delays. I've started to get delays that now are routinely 3 minutes. My worst so far is a full six minute lockup.

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

The odd thing is that in the past, all our receivers have always updated within a day or two of each other. But so far, 4 days later, the HR24-500 is the ONLY receiver to get 06BD.

I got it on different HRs at different times too.  So far, one 24-500 and one 20-700 have been adversely affected, the front panel went out on the 500 and the 20-700 is just dead.  Also had a 20-700 replaced because it kept rebooting.  All were replaced with 24s, as usual.  Now I have only one 20-700 left.  I gotta say, in a quiet room, the 24-100s are a bit noisy.  I've got six of them and they're all noisy.  Not nearly as bad as the chattering of the 20-700s with a Seagate in them, but still noisier than the 24-200 (I just got another one!) or the 24-500.  Kinda disappointed in that.  Aside from the noise, which varies in intensity from unit to unit, I really like the 100s.  (Sounds blasphemous coming from me, doesn't it?) 

Rich

spam firewall