Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

How long did you give it to raise from the dead?  I ask because one of my HR24-500s will occasionally lock up for 1-3 minutes and then come back to life.

Definitely more than three minutes in each instance.  I've seen lockups before with recovery and the execution of all of the remote commands that had been buffered. 

Hope it doesn't happen again.

HR34-700/AM21N on ESATA WD30EURS & TT Max 5
HR24-200/AM21 on ESATA WD20EURS & TT Max 5
HR21-700/AM21 on ESATA WD10000CSRTL & Antec MX-1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'd be very interested in your results if you have the time - I haven't had the time, nor the inclination, to go messing around with the network again since my last round of testing but I've been thinking about doing something similar, if it helps might be worth keeping the machines off network until that next fix comes around ;)

If you take your HRs off MRV, you'll see a difference in performance.  For me, MRV is the best thing D* has come out with in years.  But, I can't deny how well a 20-700, for instance, runs when it's off my MRV system.  

Rich

#103 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

I flushed it yesterday by rebooting it a second time immediately after the first reboot. I didn't see Pandora or YouTube last night but it was there when I checked this evening. So they must have come back at some point. I don't if the flushing did the trick but, yay. Thanks.

If everyone would take our suggestions to flush your Guide data when your HRs get sluggish, I think we'd see a lot less complaints.  Can't hurt and it usually helps.

Rich

#104 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

How long did you give it to raise from the dead?  I ask because one of my HR24-500s will occasionally lock up for 1-3 minutes and then come back to life.

Mine do that when I delete a lot of content.  Just have to be patient...oops, forgot who I was replying to.  Ever try an exorcism on your 500s... :rolling:

Rich

#105 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

How many receivers do you have in your house?  Do you have MRV?  Are you using DECA or Ethernet?  Is your receiver connected to the Internet?  The way your system is hooked up could help us determine how to fix those of us who have issues. Thanks! :)

I have 5 HDDVRs

1 HR34

1 HR24

1 HR23

2 HR21

I am using an Eagle/Aspen 5LNB to a 4 way ground block.  Ground block goes then to a SWM16 switch.  power for the switch is connected to the middle port. using a 2 way to feed HR34 and HR24 on port 1 of SWM.  SWM 2 is  using a 2 way to feed the HR23 on one leg  and the other leg feeds another two way with a BSF inline.  This last 2 way feeds my sister's 2 HR21 that are not part of  my WHDVR (selectively) 

My HR34, HR24 and HR23 are all connected via ethernet to a Linksys SD216 ethernet switch. which connects to my Airport Extreme.  My 2 HR21 both have DECA for WHDVR (between them), but they don't have access to DOD (selectively)

Edited by peds48, 08 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#106 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

With 0x06BD, I have twice had to perform an RBR on my HR21-700 after it became unresponsive to both remote commands and front panel touches.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have 2 HR21-700s on this version and have no problems except occasional double button presses.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#107 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have 5 HDDVRs

1 HR34

1 HR24

1 HR23

2 HR21

I am using an Eagle/Aspen 5LNB to a 4 way ground block.  Ground block goes then to a SWM16 switch.  power for the switch is connected to the middle port. using a 2 way to feed HR34 and HR24 on port 1 of SWM.  SWM 2 is  using a 2 way to feed the HR23 on one leg  and the other leg feeds another two way with a BSF inline.  This last 2 way feeds my sister's 2 HR21 that are not part of  my WHDVR (selectively) 

My HR34, HR24 and HR23 are all connected via ethernet to a Linksys SD216 ethernet switch. which connects to my Airport Extreme.  My 2 HR21 both have DECA for WHDVR (between them), but they don't have access to DOD (selectively)

Thanks - I'm assuming your receivers hooked up Ethernet have both MRV and DOD?  I might try hooking up my HR24 via Ethernet instead of DECA and see if that makes any difference.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#108 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have 2 HR21-700s on this version and have no problems except occasional double button presses.

The 21-700s are probably the best of the 21 series DVRs, but they are getting old now and you can expect more and more problems with them.  Naturally, everyone won't experience the same problems.

Rich

#109 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

I have 5 HDDVRs

1 HR34

1 HR24

1 HR23

2 HR21

Why do you have ethernet hooked up to the HR24 and HR23?  If you have ethernet hooked up to the HR34 then it should be acting as a DECA adapter to get your DECA cloud hooked up to the internet.  So you should just be able to use the internal DECA on your HR24, and use a receiver DECA on the HR23 and not have to mess with running ethernet from them to a switch.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#110 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Why do you have ethernet hooked up to the HR24 and HR23?  If you have ethernet hooked up to the HR34 then it should be acting as a DECA adapter to get your DECA cloud hooked up to the internet.  So you should just be able to use the internal DECA on your HR24, and use a receiver DECA on the HR23 and not have to mess with running ethernet from them to a switch.

I'd be interested in knowing more about this, as I have a switch located on the same shelf as my "bad" HR24 - since it feels network related (but the streaming services I use on the same tv connected to that switch have no issues at all) I would love to disable the DECA component on that HR24 and use a wired ethernet connection and see if it helps at all. Take me less than two minutes to plug an ethernet cable into the HR24 and get it onto my network. I'm simply not sure what steps to take to make that happen on the box - by which I mean telling it to use the ethernet connection rather than the DECA built into the machine. If it helps, I have a switch next to each HR24, so if I needed to disable globally I could. I would prefer to keep whole home working, but certainly willing to experiment with taking that machine off of whole home for the short term.

thanks for any thoughts on that. 

#111 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'd be interested in knowing more about this, as I have a switch located on the same shelf as my "bad" HR24 - since it feels network related (but the streaming services I use on the same tv connected to that switch have no issues at all) I would love to disable the DECA component on that HR24 and use a wired ethernet connection and see if it helps at all. Take me less than two minutes to plug an ethernet cable into the HR24 and get it onto my network. I'm simply not sure what steps to take to make that happen on the box - by which I mean telling it to use the ethernet connection rather than the DECA built into the machine. If it helps, I have a switch next to each HR24, so if I needed to disable globally I could. I would prefer to keep whole home working, but certainly willing to experiment with taking that machine off of whole home for the short term.

thanks for any thoughts on that. 

dravenstone,

I also have an Ethernet switch next to my HR24, so I decided to try hooking it up via Ethernet.  The HR24 will not recognize the Ethernet connection without a reboot/restart of the receiver.  But - after I did so, the HR24 feels faster - no delays so far.  One note - The rest of my DVRs are still on DECA and not connected to the Internet so my HR24 cannot see any other receivers (essentially no MRV) - but it is connected to the Internet.  I've only been running for about an hour since rebooting, so I will update if after some time the problems start again - but so far so good!  No "empty" guide that takes forever to populate, no black screen / long delay after pressing "Exit" to stop playing a recorded show, no non-responsive DVR when pressing remote buttons.

Thanks to peds48 for giving me this idea to try.  I will try hooking up the HR23s to the rest of the network (I have an Internet Connection kit that is currently unplugged) so the HR24 can see them and see if MRV hurts performance at all.

#112 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

dravenstone,

I also have an Ethernet switch next to my HR24, so I decided to try hooking it up via Ethernet. The HR24 will not recognize the Ethernet connection without a reboot/restart of the receiver. But - after I did so, the HR24 feels faster - no delays so far. One note - The rest of my DVRs are still on DECA and not connected to the Internet so my HR24 cannot see any other receivers (essentially no MRV) - but it is connected to the Internet. I've only been running for about an hour since rebooting, so I will update if after some time the problems start again - but so far so good! No "empty" guide that takes forever to populate, no black screen / long delay after pressing "Exit" to stop playing a recorded show, no non-responsive DVR when pressing remote buttons.

Thanks to peds48 for giving me this idea to try. I will try hooking up the HR23s to the rest of the network (I have an Internet Connection kit that is currently unplugged) so the HR24 can see them and see if MRV hurts performance at all.

Well that's encouraging. I've got the DVR connected to the switch but can't do a reboot until the ball game I'm recording ends in a few hours. Man - I hope it works. I have the rest of the machines all connected to the network via deca but can easily swap them out to use Ethernet if I can't mix them and keep whole home on.
Fingers crossed we are zeroing in on a solution.

#113 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

I hooked up the DTV Internet connection kit and can see all of my receivers for MRV from my HR24 - still no issues and normally I would have seen an issue by now. Don't want to declare victory just yet - maybe after a few days being issue free but I would encourage folks having problems with their HR24 due to 0x66c or 0x6bd to try hooking it up via Ethernet even if it is just hooked up to an empty switch.  This would turn off DECA and at least so far for me seems to cure the slowness problems.  Obviously disabling DECA and not hooking it up to the same network that your other receivers are on would disable MRV.

#114 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Why do you have ethernet hooked up to the HR24 and HR23? 

Because before the HR24 I had and HR20 and I did want to have the extra equipment dangling behind the receivers so I decided to stay with ethernet until at least my main three HDDVRs have DECA built in.  so far I only need one more, the HR23

Edit. I had all of the HDDVRs connected via ethernet BEFORE MRV was rolled down as BETA.  It was recently (about a year, give or take) that I acquire the HR24 and the Genie.  I had an HR20 and HR22.  I got rid of the HR22 since it had a hard drive failure and the Genie replaced my best HDDVR, the HR20, which I still have since DirecTV did not wanted it back but is not being used

Edited by peds48, 09 May 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#115 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

A few hours in after reboot and I too can report so far so good switching to Ethernet rather than deca. Everything is functioning thus far as it is supposed to, including whole home. List and guide both popping right up for the first time in a loooooooong while. I will also hold off declaring victory but it feels like we might have ourselves a legit solution.

#116 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

A few hours in after reboot and I too can report so far so good switching to Ethernet rather than deca. Everything is functioning thus far as it is supposed to, including whole home. List and guide both popping right up for the first time in a loooooooong while. I will also hold off declaring victory but it feels like we might have ourselves a legit solution.

Thats great news - I'm glad that it is also working for you.  This morning - I turned on the TV, and the guide popped up right away - no delay.  I'll update again in a few days whether issues return or not.

It seems all of our suspicions about the firmware issue being network related was spot on - I wouldn't have guessed that it was specific to DECA though.

#117 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thats great news - I'm glad that it is also working for you.  This morning - I turned on the TV, and the guide popped up right away - no delay.  I'll update again in a few days whether issues return or not.

It seems all of our suspicions about the firmware issue being network related was spot on - I wouldn't have guessed that it was specific to DECA though.

Same - was good this morning and had no real issues to speak of last night. Keeping my fingers crossed. I record a lot of programs throughout the day and since this started I've been getting a lot of partials. on 66c things would end early (most longer programs) since bd came down it caused a lot of things to start one or two minutes late, so just perusing my list when I get home today and see if everything started on the top of the hour instead of 1 or 2 minutes late will give me some good insights into how we are functioning. 

I too was surprised that it seems directly related to DECA, but I'm just glad to have something functioning normally again - Since I had the CCK installed already, switching to ethernet on this particular machine didn't really impact me at all (other than just working) - Whole Home is still working fine and the other two HR's are both still on DECA and functioning without incident. Thanks for all the good dialogue - be nice if we were finally at the end of the road with this mess. (at least until the next firmware update)

#118 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Error Report - 20130510-33C6

HR23-700

The screen saver on my HR23-700 just kicked in during live TV.  Looks like the bug still hasn't been fixed.  Power Save features are off.

Edited by Getteau, 10 May 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#119 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I have a couple interesting problems with this new release on my R22-200.

The guide cache no longer exists.  If I do a software reset, the guide, all the little thumbnail pictures, and the TO DO list are gone.  If I do a power down reset, the TO DO list remains but the guide & thumbnails are gone.  In addition, the first show that is recorded has a "$" next to it in the guide.  If you do a MORE INFO on the recording, it says "this Pay Per View recording......blah blah blah" even if the recording was made from a local channel!!  Fortunately, it plays back correctly but it's annoying.

And, like others have reported, the DVR appears to be very sluggish when given a remote command.  When a show is selected from the playlist you get a black screen for a considerable amount of time before it starts playing.

If I didn't know better, I'd say their software development efforts are going backwards-or maybe it's just a plan for everyone to upgrade to a genie.  Like some other posters pointed out, all of this may not be worth the effort.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#120 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Sad to say I am still having the guide load slowly and occasionally slow channel changes or going back to a channel after exiting a recording using Ethernet.  However - other problems do not seem to be occuring - namely non-responsive remote.

dravenstone - like you said, I also was having recordings delayed by a minute or two - this has not occurred since going to Ethernet.  Interestingly - it also has not been happening on my HR23/700's which still are connected via DECA suggesting like you previously said that the HR24 is blasting the DECA network with bad packets or something - causing all of the DVRs on the DECA network to have problems.

I may try switching more HR23/700's onto Ethernet to see if that helps (I can unfortunately only do that with 2 of my 3 HR23's).

Edited by LiQiCE, 11 May 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...