Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22, 0x06BD - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
139 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sad to say I am still having the guide load slowly and occasionally slow channel changes or going back to a channel after exiting a recording using Ethernet.  However - other problems do not seem to be occuring - namely non-responsive remote.

dravenstone - like you said, I also was having recordings delayed by a minute or two - this has not occurred since going to Ethernet.  Interestingly - it also has not been happening on my HR23/700's which still are connected via DECA suggesting like you previously said that the HR24 is blasting the DECA network with bad packets or something - causing all of the DVRs on the DECA network to have problems.

I may try switching more HR23/700's onto Ethernet to see if that helps (I can unfortunately only do that with 2 of my 3 HR23's).

That's a bummer. I, unfortunately, can report that things are still not perfect, but they are MUCH MUCH better. After about 24 hours of solid performance I now get occasional delays in bringing up guide or executing commands. The one big thing I've noticed same as you though is that even when locked up at least the remote commands register on the box so I know it's not as completely down and out as it was before. And thus far, recordings haven't been impacted. I'm afraid this isn't a 100% fix, but it's loads better than previously. LMK if moving everything to ethernet helps, I can easily take my other two boxes off of DECA if that helps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

One thing that I think helps with Ethernet is that as it slows down (it seems to get worse over time) - I can unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in - and that actually helps to speed up the HR24.  So that is definitely one advantage over using DECA.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#123 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Interesting - that's a good tip. I'll give it a shot as that is dramatically easier to do with ethernet. I'm walking out the door now, but will hit it when I get back and see how it works out.

thanks.

#124 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Sad to say I am still having the guide load slowly and occasionally slow channel changes or going back to a channel after exiting a recording using Ethernet.  However - other problems do not seem to be occuring - namely non-responsive remote.

dravenstone - like you said, I also was having recordings delayed by a minute or two - this has not occurred since going to Ethernet.  Interestingly - it also has not been happening on my HR23/700's which still are connected via DECA suggesting like you previously said that the HR24 is blasting the DECA network with bad packets or something - causing all of the DVRs on the DECA network to have problems.

I may try switching more HR23/700's onto Ethernet to see if that helps (I can unfortunately only do that with 2 of my 3 HR23's).

What is "going to ethernet?"  How do you do that?  Also what is the DECA network?  Thanks!

#125 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Can you explain why so many people suddenly have hardware problems?  Why so many software releases over the last few months?

Your HR24 is behaving because it is your HR24.  Could be you don't notice the lag, could be you don't have the lag because of something else in your setup or could be that something in the setup of the rash of people that have troubles is causing it.  Who knows but it started with the update after update after update after the update just after the update.

Even in my own setup I have three different experiences with my 3 HR24-500s.  One constantly misses remote button pushes, is slow to update the screen and occasionally locks up for 1-3 minutes.  One misses remote button pushes here and there but otherwise behaves albeit slower than it used to.  The third one doesn't miss button pushes but does seem slower than the other two.  Before latest update the most troublesome receiver was hardly even usable.

That would be three HR24-500 all with the same firmware all under the same roof that don't perform the same.

Here's a problem I've never seen.  I have a 24-500 that's named "M2".  Last week, I noticed my recordings on that HR were starting a quarter to half way thru the show.  Finally got around to fixing it by flushing the Guide data.  The rest of my HRs started at  the correct time.  Something new?

Rich   

#126 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Here's a problem I've never seen.  I have a 24-500 that's named "M2".  Last week, I noticed my recordings on that HR were starting a quarter to half way thru the show.  Finally got around to fixing it by flushing the Guide data.  The rest of my HRs started at  the correct time.  Something new?

Rich   

I haven't had that trouble.  I don't think I've read anywhere that anyone else has had that trouble either...  There have been so many updates over the last few months who knows what new and interesting things we'll find! :)

#127 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yesterday I finally played around with disabling DECA and using my 3 HR24-500 with and without Internet access.  If I basically disable 'Whole-Home' by plugging each HR into a small Ethernet switch to nowhere things sped up quite a bit.  Overall response was much better although not quite as good as it was before we got the update that included the HDGUI way back when.

I couldn't leave 'Whole-Home' disabled - Being able to use 'Whole-Home' is probably the biggest reason I put up with DirecTV's sorry software.  Once I plugged all three HR24s into a single Ethernet switch to get whole-home running again things did slow down quite a bit but remote response still seems better than it has been over the last few months and firmware versions.

I then added Internet access to the Ethernet based whole home and that's how it is now.  So far the remote response still seems to be improved and I haven't had any lock-ups but the lock-ups don't usually start until about 10 days after I restart.  One thing I do see is that 'On-Demand' is much quicker over Ethernet than over DECA..  At least it was last night...

I'll leave DECA disabled for a while and see how it goes.

Edited by Mike Greer, 13 May 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#128 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Wife reported she dad a few lock ups today and I see a number of late start partials of one or two minutes and one 0 minute recording (ugh, but fortunately the sox were off today and it was just a replay of last nights misery) -

Unplugged the network cable for a moment and put it back on to see if that helps clear things up again per the tip from LiQiCE above - will see how that goes since I'm on Netflix binge watching BSG tonight ;)

Things are still MUCH better since moving to ethernet from DECA, but it's unfortunately not a 100% solve yet.

#129 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

What is "going to ethernet?"  How do you do that?  Also what is the DECA network?  Thanks!

I recommend doing some Googling or reading a Directv FAQ, I'm probably not able to explain it well enough.  The basic idea though is that you can connect your HR24 to your Whole Home Network and Internet to share recordings / get Directv On Demand via Coaxial cable using DECA (that is just the name of the protocol) or you can use an Ethernet cable, which is what you typically use (at least when wired and not wireless) to connect to the Internet.

The HR24 seems to respond faster when using Ethernet versus DECA, although both dravenstone and I have still been experiencing some slowness problems with Ethernet so this isn't the 100% fix - but it makes it better.

#130 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Wife reported she dad a few lock ups today and I see a number of late start partials of one or two minutes and one 0 minute recording (ugh, but fortunately the sox were off today and it was just a replay of last nights misery) -

Unplugged the network cable for a moment and put it back on to see if that helps clear things up again per the tip from LiQiCE above - will see how that goes since I'm on Netflix binge watching BSG tonight ;)

Things are still MUCH better since moving to ethernet from DECA, but it's unfortunately not a 100% solve yet.

dravenstone - have you moved your all of your DVRs to Ethernet?  I was only able to move one of my three HR23s over to Ethernet, but I did that and then disconnected the other two HR23s from the network (turned off the Internet Connection Kit) and this seems to have helped the HR24.  So right now, I have 2 of my DVRs on DECA and they can see each other, but cannot see the other two DVRs that are on Ethernet and have Internet access too.

Like you - it still isn't perfect, I am really hoping a new firmware release will fix it, but it seems to have made it better.  I wish I had a good way to monitor traffic, I suspect I would see a lot of extra traffic coming from all of the DVRs.

#131 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

I was so hopeful when I read the later part of this thread.  I converted my HR24 to ethernet, then disconnected the CCK, then converted my HR20 and HR21 to ethernet, then removed the DECA's on those, plus multiple reboots.  There seemed to be modest improvement for awhile, but after a day and a half, it's just as bad as ever.  I had a couple of two minute channel changes this morning.  I'm afraid that the temporary improvements might have just been due to rebooting.

#132 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I haven't had that trouble.  I don't think I've read anywhere that anyone else has had that trouble either...  There have been so many updates over the last few months who knows what new and interesting things we'll find! :)

Yup, first I have problems with losing my SLs on an HDD that shouldn't have lost my SLs, then this weird problem.  Factor in the four HRs that I've lost (and replaced) in the last 6 weeks and your Curse seems to be migrating.   :dance:

Rich

#133 OFFLINE   CopyCat

CopyCat

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

The Firmware for the HR24-500 just changed

.......Date: 2013-05-14 11:45:36
Transponder: Tp21
Old Version: 06BD
New Version: 06D7

If it an't broke, don't fix it

Slimline Dish w/SWM-5LNB to 8 way splitter.
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-52XBR2
HR24-500 HDMI Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR21-200 - Component Emerson LCD SLC195EM8
All networked via CAT5 to a Netgear 10/100/1000 Switch connected to a Cisco Linksys E4200 to DSL.

#134 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

here's hoping...

#135 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

no update here yet, nothing scheduled yet. Issues continue but the trick of pulling the ethernet cable seems to help a little and I'm still better with deca disabled than not. Delays are still present but appreciably shorter than when I was still on deca. Will keep looking for an update and then try re-enabling deca...

If anyone gets a new update please keep us posted.

Edited by dravenstone, 14 May 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#136 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

0x06D7 must have been a test, 0x06BD is back in the stream.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#137 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

3 hour PPV block ran long. If scheduled recordings past 3 hrs, kept viewing on screen. 

#138 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

You won't believe this.  My case manager said she consulted with the engineers who reviewed my SEND REPORT data said they thought my HR23 and HR24 freeze-up problems were because I had too many partial recordings on the receivers.  That's even though they both have more than 50% disc space available,  Outraged, I told her that my two receivers worked perfectly for years and years, all through 0x62c, until 0x66d came down.  My HR23 and HR24 problems were exactly contiquous with 0x66d and stayed after its successor, 0x6bd.  She said they, DTV, would continue to investigate my problem.  Thanks, DTV!

#139 OFFLINE   kkl

kkl

Mentor

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'm beginning to lose hope that this problem will ever be solved.  For me, it's now been two months and four software versions, and the problems are as bad as ever.   :bang  I'm afraid that DTV still  doesn't know what the problem is and that's why they haven't fixed it.  The related issue may be that it is affecting very few of us.  This thread is fairly quiet and you'd think it would be blowing up if very many people had to sit around for 2 minutes to change channels, stop playback, or wait for the guide to appear.  I dread losing all of my recordings, but I'm starting to think about requesting a replacement.  What do others think?

#140 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm beginning to lose hope that this problem will ever be solved. For me, it's now been two months and four software versions, and the problems are as bad as ever. :bang I'm afraid that DTV still doesn't know what the problem is and that's why they haven't fixed it. The related issue may be that it is affecting very few of us. This thread is fairly quiet and you'd think it would be blowing up if very many people had to sit around for 2 minutes to change channels, stop playback, or wait for the guide to appear. I dread losing all of my recordings, but I'm starting to think about requesting a replacement. What do others think?

Replacement didn't help me. As soon as it got the update right back to the same nightmare you are having. I'm with you on the minutes of waiting at a time - when it locks up it is amazing how long it can take. I have a whole system on getting the start of a ball game to go without seeing the game if it is still in progress. Necessity mother of invention and all.

spam firewall