Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How much power really needs to be disconnected?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

Greetings, all,

I have a SWM16 with the PI connected to its' power in port,  the Genie on SWM1 out, and 3 HR2x on SWM2 out.  I need to replace the barrel connector in the line at the Genie wallplate (upgrade to blue center type).  While I understand I should depower the Genie before doing this, is it necessary to depower the PI/SWM?  Doing so means a trip to the attic, which I'd like to avoid, but will do if needed to keep from potentially damaging that or other equipment.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and suggestions; they are greatly appreciated.

"You gonna love it to death, baby!"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I may not be the one to ask, as I have been known to work on "hot lines", but with the PI running to the PWR port, I wouldn't power anything down to change out an RF connector.

Edited by veryoldschool, 17 April 2013 - 10:15 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I never power anything down but I do have all the replacement parts on my truck.

Except for one time. I had to drive a long way to get that power supply.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well,

some of us have had to reset a PI a few times (by unplugging and plugging back in), and it apparently would not hurt the PI at all and 'might' help it if it was powered down.  If the attic AC outlet was on a known breaker or fuse, and was not in common with the one to the Genie and was easier than a trip to the attic that might be a way to consider doing it.

Just as a general thing as a homeowner, I try to check both of my attic areas a couple times a year whether I need to go up there for anything else or not.  I check for water leaks, vermin and to just remind myself what I have stored up there.

FWIW . . .

#5 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

<p>Thanks all for your replies.&nbsp; VOS, I too am a &quot;hot line&quot; worker if I think I can get away with it (was in BART maintenance and engineering for 27 years before retiring).&nbsp; Especially after I quit drinking several years ago, and now have a much steadier hand.&nbsp; Less fear, too.</p>

Edited by Wolfmanjohn, 17 April 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#6 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,331 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

These PI have short circuit protection for those installers that like to change the fittings with the PI plug in…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

These PI have short circuit protection for those installers that like to change the fittings with the PI plug in…

Good to know.  Didn't see any sparks yesterday and all seems to be working fine, so I guess I didn't tank anything.

spam firewall