Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new customer have question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrMichael

MrMichael

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPurcellville, VA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I will be moving into a new house next month and plan on getting Directv.  Right now I only have 1 tv.  We will be getting at least 2 more over the year or so but right now at install time will be just one.  Is there anything I need to do to make sure that I don't have issues when we get those other tvs?  Besides obviously getting a box for the new ones when we buy them. How many tv's does a normal install support if you tell them just one with the genie dvr?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

DirecTv provides "NEW" customers with four rooms for free. To make use of this offer you need to get all the equipment up front. You would be required to pay for the additional outlets whether you used them or not.

Techs get paid for the number of receivers/clients they install. If you just order a Genie that is all the Tech is getting paid for and without a little ka-ching from you, all he is likely to install.

If you just order a Genie from DirecTv up front and want to add a client later it's likely they will charge you for the box and a truck roll.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Do you know if there are coax runs from a common location in the house, to the three rooms where you intend to eventually have TV's?  If so, I would just ask the installer to run the line from the dish to that location.  This way, when adding new TV's/receivers, you will just need to add a splitter in order to connect the new TV/receiver.

If coax runs don't already exist, I would just make sure to tell the installer about your future plans so he can do the install in a way that makes the planned expansion easier.

When you are signing up for DirecTV, I would also tell them about your future expansion plans.  They might be willing to make a note on your account to give you the additional receivers for free.  You definitely want to do any negotiating with them BEFORE you become a customer and are subject to the 2 year agreement.  That is when you will have bargaining power.

• MrMichael likes this

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

There is no easy answer here.  If you borrow a couple of tv's then you have to pay the extra monthly fee's on the boxes they provide now until you get your own tv's but they would run the additional lines now.  If you dont do it now, you would have to pay for the new equipment (receivers) and also pay to have additional lines ran when you were ready for the install at a later date.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Do you know if there are coax runs from a common location in the house, to the three rooms where you intend to eventually have TV's?  If so, I would just ask the installer to run the line from the dish to that location.  This way, when adding new TV's/receivers, you will just need to add a splitter in order to connect the new TV/receiver.

Without any "financial motivation" to the installer, that is NOT going to happen.

Edited by peds48, 17 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   MrMichael

MrMichael

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

Yes there are coax runs to all the rooms. It all goes to a central network box with all my cat 5e and coax. The wiring is all there.

There are 4 coax service line outside going into the house to this central location.

Edited by MrMichael, 18 April 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

For your initial setup, you will need the installer to get the dish connected to 1 of the 4 lines coming into the house.  Then, as long as there is an available outlet, he can connect the Power Inserter where the central network box is located.  When you get the additonal TV's, as long as you don't get two DVR's, you will just need to add a green label splitter at the central network box and connect it to the lines to the rooms that the TV's will be added.

I would still try to make a deal with DirecTV, to get the additional receivers when you need them for free.  They may be willing to do that, with you only having to pay the $49 for the installation.

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

You can't setup a deal for 2 more receivers/clients later in the year with the initial call to get service.  In the first year, D* cannot apply discounts to equipment and you will have an additional $50 fee if you upgrade.  By policy, the technician cannot install receivers/clients in rooms that don't have tv's.  Your best bet is to get everything you will need at your initial install.  Even if the sales person says you can get the upgrade after 6 months, you can't.  I would do as previously suggested and borrow a couple tv's for now, if you can do that, to make sure you get everything you need.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

,,,  By policy, the technician cannot install receivers/clients in rooms that don't have tv's,,,,. 

Not sure about this policy.   I have not seen it on the "books".  I think as long as one TV is available, the install can proceed

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Not sure about this policy.   I have not seen it on the "books".  I think as long as one TV is available, the install can proceed

Read the SPIG Cuz, it's all there in black and white. There isn't any get out of jail free card because the customer didn't have a TV. It's all the installers fault if the remote won't work. My charge back is minor so I don't mind, some contractors get hosed!

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Read the SPIG Cuz, it's all there in black and white. There isn't any get out of jail free card because the customer didn't have a TV. It's all the installers fault if the remote won't work. My charge back is minor so I don't mind, some contractors get hosed!

page number..
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

page number..

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

It must be a very big book since it has at least 1,800, 531, 5000 pages…. :rotfl:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   MrMichael

MrMichael

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

For your initial setup, you will need the installer to get the dish connected to 1 of the 4 lines coming into the house. Then, as long as there is an available outlet, he can connect the Power Inserter where the central network box is located. When you get the additonal TV's, as long as you don't get two DVR's, you will just need to add a green label splitter at the central network box and connect it to the lines to the rooms that the TV's will be added.

I would still try to make a deal with DirecTV, to get the additional receivers when you need them for free. They may be willing to do that, with you only having to pay the $49 for the installation.

Thanks for the info! There are 4 outlets where at the wiring is in the networking cabinet. We had our pre settlement walkthru yesterday so I verified the power and location of everything. I'm thinking that I don't want to pay for extra boxes that I'm not going to be using yet so i will probably just get the one tv setup and deal with the added TVs later I guess.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I would say just get one TV set up with the Genie Whole Home DVR for now.  Later on down the line when you decide to add other TVs you might be able to get a TV with RVU client built in that would work for you.  It sounds like the new Samsung RVU TVs improved a lot this year, and if you are going to be another year or two down the line they might work just as well if not better than the mini clients.  Also, I don't think adding an RVU TV requires signing a new 2 year agreement.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info! There are 4 outlets where at the wiring is in the networking cabinet. We had our pre settlement walkthru yesterday so I verified the power and location of everything. I'm thinking that I don't want to pay for extra boxes that I'm not going to be using yet so i will probably just get the one tv setup and deal with the added TVs later I guess.

Keep in mind if you want to add 2 more TV's in the first year, you're looking at $99 per client/HD receiver plus installation which is usually $49 and an upgrade fee of $50.  May be worth paying more per month at the start to avoid those costs.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...