Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Merge 2 accounts

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Corrigan

Mike Corrigan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

My mom just signed a 24 month contract with DirecTV in December. On her account she has a Genie and 3 C31 clients. My account is contract free, and has 5 HD/DVR receivers. Last month my mom moved into my spare bedroom, and isn't using her DirecTV anymore. I called DirecTV to merge our accounts, and they said I can only merge accounts with a spouse. I know I could just cancel my account, and move her receivers into my house.  Is there an option that would allow me to keep my receivers, and send hers back?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,616 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

No, That would be basically swapping contracts and that is not possible

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

incorrect. merging accounts is possible as i do it all the time in crg. which ever account has the longest agreement is the one that remains and the ecf is waived on the other one. But if it is your moms it can't be done it has to be like a spouse or fiancé.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Haven't  encountered this specific situation but have had some tricky situations.  Generally, somebody somewhere in the D* organization can figure out something, the problem is getting connected to that person and being able  to communicate calmly the problem to them and being somwhat flexible in how it might be tolerably fixed.

Hope it works out for you.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

LOL, alternate putting each system on vacation for 6 months?  At least half the time you'll have the system you want.

(just kidding :coffee )

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

To the original poster, check the status of your receivers to see if any of them are owned as opposed to leased. Call the access card department and verify them individually by the RID number.

If any of your units are owned, you can deactivate them, keep them, then add them to your mothers account and reactivate them there.

Any that are leased would have to be returned to DirecTV upon deactivation.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

But if it is your moms it can't be done it has to be like a spouse or fiancé.

I rest my case.  Unless the OP want to marry "mom"

I guess I should have clarified relationships 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I rest my case. Unless the OP want to marry "mom"

I guess I should have clarified relationships

yeahhh cause your post made it seem like it can't be done period.

Edited by Volatility, 18 April 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Corrigan

Mike Corrigan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

My mom is rebuilding her house, so her stay is going to be temporary. She has been through a lot these past few months, and needs all the financial relief she can get. I am going to try Gov's advise and put her account on vacation. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

I am going to try Gov's advise and put her account on vacation. Thanks for the help guys.

This is your best solution

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

My mom is rebuilding her house, so her stay is going to be temporary. She has been through a lot these past few months, and needs all the financial relief she can get. I am going to try Gov's advise and put her account on vacation. Thanks for the help guys.

Just bear in mind, that while her account is suspended, the agreement does not continue to expire. So if your goal is to ride out her agreement and just keep yours, then suspension may not be the best option. If that is your goal, then I would just remove what services you can and go down to the lowest package.

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Oofda.

I guess my attempt at humor kinda backfired if that was the best answer.

:righton:

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Corrigan

Mike Corrigan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

.... I would just remove what services you can and go down to the lowest package.

I have already done this.

Question: Can I hook her Genie up at my house using the same dish my receivers are hooked to? I called Direct, and they said no. Not sure they meant technically it wasn't possible, or that it was against their terms of service.

#14 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

the other account will need a swm for the genie to work, but the services on her end can not be suspended for it to work as you can not activate her leased reciever on your account as this situation is inellgible for a merge. so what you are trying to do won't work.

Edited by Volatility, 24 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

As far as hooking her Genie up at your house goes, that depends.  Do you have a SWM setup with a SWM 16 multiswitch?  If so then yes you should be able to hook her Genie up as long as you make sure to not overload the leg of the SWM-16 you hook it up to (the Genie has 5 tuners, so you can only hook up one other DVR, and a receiver and that would take you to the max of 8 tuners per leg).  If you don't have SWM at all then the Genie won't work at all as it requires SWM.  If you have SWM but only a SWM LNB, or a SWM 8 then you will have way too many tuners since you said you already have 5 HD/DVRs (not sure if that means 5 HD-DVRs, or 5 total receivers comprised of HD-DVRs and HD receivers).  Either way you would have a minimum of 11 tuners (5 for the genie, 2 for a HD-DVR, and 4 for HD receivers), which wouldn't work on a SWM-8 or SWM LNB.

I would recommend putting a bandstop filter on her genie so it isn't trying to talk over DECA to the rest of your recievers.  I imagine receivers from different accounts trying to talk over DECA to each other could cause issues.

As far as it being against the terms of service, I don't think that would be the case at all.  You would have two active accounts with active receivers run off the same dish (at one address), that happens at apartment complexes and stuff all the time.  It's only really against the terms of service when you do it the other way around, one account active at two addresses.

It's all kind of a moot point right now though, since if you try hooking it up while the service is suspended she won't be able to use it at all anyway.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall