Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sluggish HR24 performance all the sudden

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Just registering more frustration with this issue. It continues here with an HR24-200 that replaced an HR25-500 with these same issues.

I've mentioned this in some other places, but going to put it here too, because I feel like there must be something to it...

This all started with 66C, and go to the point where it was actually impacting my entire networks performance - my download speeds were cut in half for a few weeks. Must have just been some crazy collisions going on. I have whole home DVR and the connection kit. Curiously two other boxes do not seem impacted, just one. I feel like it has to be with the network stack somewhere, but I just can't isolate it. The 66bd update has returned the rest of my network to normal, but the DVR is just as bad, if not worse. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Just registering more frustration with this issue. It continues here with an HR24-200 that replaced an HR25-500 with these same issues.

I've mentioned this in some other places, but going to put it here too, because I feel like there must be something to it...

This all started with 66C, and go to the point where it was actually impacting my entire networks performance - my download speeds were cut in half for a few weeks. Must have just been some crazy collisions going on. I have whole home DVR and the connection kit. Curiously two other boxes do not seem impacted, just one. I feel like it has to be with the network stack somewhere, but I just can't isolate it. The 66bd update has returned the rest of my network to normal, but the DVR is just as bad, if not worse. 

could it be an IR interference issue? is your remote set to RF

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

could it be an IR interference issue? is your remote set to RF

I wish it was the remote - I've tried using RF and and an iPhone app via the network, no better... Appreciate the attempt though.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,171 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:40 AM

To be a honest even though the 22-100 is slow it's consistent with every recordings I schedule like every DVR should be and that's what I started with when I signed up with Directv, but I might return it in place of the other 24-200 that I own, The only thing I don't like about the 22 apart that is slow is that when I reboot that box is excruciating slow by just turning off during the reboot process, maybe it's the external drive that's making it really slow especially 2tb EHD with 70 percent full.

Yup, take that external drive off and see how quickly it reboots on the internal drive.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

If you are using RF, try covering the IR window. Sometimes stray IR signals from the TV backlit screen can cause this sort of issues.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

dravenstone said 'This all started with 66C'.  Why would the remote, iPad etc fail and/or some interference back-light suddenly start with a firmware update?  It wouldn't.

When he gets 6bd his remote and iPad will suddenly be fixed and the back-light interference will go away..  At least for the most part.

When I got 6bd it did improve but I'm hoping that the next update will get us back to performance we had a few months ago before the burst of updates hit.

Bottom line - the updates need to be better tested before DirecTV sends them out.  How/why the CE people don't see these problems is still a mystery.  Some suggest that people make up these troubles but it that is the case why the pattern of new update after new update after new update.  How many 'updates' have there been in the last 3 or 4 months.  Maybe it is because the CE testers restart their receivers every week - who knows...  Time for changes in the process!

#27 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

dravenstone said 'This all started with 66C'.  Why would the remote, iPad etc fail and/or some interference back-light suddenly start with a firmware update?  It wouldn't.

When he gets 6bd his remote and iPad will suddenly be fixed and the back-light interference will go away..  At least for the most part.

When I got 6bd it did improve but I'm hoping that the next update will get us back to performance we had a few months ago before the burst of updates hit.

Bottom line - the updates need to be better tested before DirecTV sends them out.  How/why the CE people don't see these problems is still a mystery.  Some suggest that people make up these troubles but it that is the case why the pattern of new update after new update after new update.  How many 'updates' have there been in the last 3 or 4 months.  Maybe it is because the CE testers restart their receivers every week - who knows...  Time for changes in the process!

Yeah - I'd have to agree - I don't think I suddenly developed interference at the same time a bunch of other people had nearly identical issues. Doesn't mean I don't try and troubleshoot it - I'm open to anything that actually solves this, but it certainly doesn't feel like an issue on my end. I'm in a couple different threads related to these issues and fairly confident we are seeing something software related to the network stack causing these issues. The thing that keeps me confused is the consistent lack of consistency... :)

#28 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

0x6bd makes the problem better - but it definitely does not fix all of the problems.

You can see my numerous posts in the 0x6bd issues thread - but I still have issues with the Guide taking a long time to populate (Live TV goes into a small window and the Guide comes up right away - but it is completely blank - and all the while, the receiver stops responding to remote commands *AND* commands pressed on the receiver itself), and the random times where the remote stops responding entirely (often in the middle of a bunch of button presses, like to turn CC on or off it will hang in the middle of getting to the CC menu).

One thing I find interesting - I have an HR24-500 and HR23-700 along with the Power Inserter for SWM all hooked up in the same room, from a single cable that is split.  Both the HR24-500 (0x6bd) and HR23-700 (0x66c) have similar problems.

However, another HR23-700 (0x66c) in a different room has none of these problems.  I haven't checked my third HR23-700.

I doubt it is a problem with the power inserter or from me splitting the cable in the same room - but I might try simplifying my connections in that room to just the HR24 and see if that helps at all.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#29 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Just got off the phone with a DTV CSR. Said it's still a "known issue" and they will have a hot fix "soon" - no dates of course, but said it would be days, not weeks or months, but of course there was nothing they could do.

LiQiCE - I doubt it has anything to do with your connections, I've moved everything around that I can to simplify the connections and it makes no difference, it's just (another) borked release.

They did give me a 30 credit, but I'd rather my stuff "just worked"

#30 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Just got off the phone with a DTV CSR. Said it's still a "known issue" and they will have a hot fix "soon" - no dates of course, but said it would be days, not weeks or months, but of course there was nothing they could do.
LiQiCE - I doubt it has anything to do with your connections, I've moved everything around that I can to simplify the connections and it makes no difference, it's just (another) borked release.
They did give me a 30 credit, but I'd rather my stuff "just worked"

My performance seems to be getting worse. I'm getting sluggish remote performance plus now a black screen for 30 seconds or so. Once pic comes back, box behaves normally.

Edited by stlmike, 09 May 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

My performance seems to be getting worse. I'm getting sluggish remote performance plus now a black screen for 30 seconds or so. Once pic comes back, box behaves normally.

Mine too - progressively worse. On another thread (sticked up top) there has been some discussion around removing the box from the network or whole home maybe helping. I haven't had a chance to test any of that yet - but might be a thread worth reading.

#32 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

If you are using RF, try covering the IR window. Sometimes stray IR signals from the TV backlit screen can cause this sort of issues.

I switched to RF mode and that totally fixes my problem!  However, I have a Slingbox hooked to this receiver so the HR24 needs to be in IR mode.  I guess I'm stuck until a software update fixes IR mode or I move the Slingbox to another receiver.

#33 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

...The only other thing that I can think of is that on this particular unit I have keyword searches for sports like "AALLL Team name CCHAN 2 206...."

I've seen several reports of this with the latest NR...most, if not all, keyword searches kill performance.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...