Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boollean Search "first run" only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

When creating a Boolean Search, is there any way to specify that autorecord should only be done for "first run" episodes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,580 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

When creating a Boolean Search, is there any way to specify that autorecord should only be done for "first run" episodes?

Yes. After you enter the search and click AUTORECORD, you're presented with the same options as a Series Link: Show type, Keep, etc.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I missed that.. thanks..

Two more questions regarding restrictions I've noticed that, as far as I can tell, are undocumented.

1) There seems to be a maximum length of the Boolean expression, and it's not that large.  This makes this feature a little less iuesful than it could be.

2) In trying to get around the maximum length limit, I tried to create a Boolean expression using AANY and TTITLE using partial words; e.g. instead of 'warehouse 13' I specified 'wareh'.  This did not work; the show wasn't found.  Is this a known restriction or is there some way to get around this?

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,580 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I missed that.. thanks..

Two more questions regarding restrictions I've noticed that, as far as I can tell, are undocumented.

1) There seems to be a maximum length of the Boolean expression, and it's not that large.  This makes this feature a little less iuesful than it could be.

2) In trying to get around the maximum length limit, I tried to create a Boolean expression using AANY and TTITLE using partial words; e.g. instead of 'warehouse 13' I specified 'wareh'.  This did not work; the show wasn't found.  Is this a known restriction or is there some way to get around this?

Ya. The limit is still 50 characters, I believe.

There is no stemming capability, AFAIK, so partial words won't find complete words.

What we here call "boolean search" is really an unsupported feature. If you haven't already, you might want to peruse this thread to see whatever tips and tricks we've come up with over the years: http://www.dbstalk.c...elp-discussion/

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Be glad it's 50, when the new GUI was released, it originally was shortened to 30 :)

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Be smart about which title keywords you use, and always use the shortest word you can without it being a word in lots of shows.  How many movie titles that they show on SyFy have 13 in the title?  Maybe a few over the course of a year, how many series?  Probably none other than Warehouse 13.

I watch several shows on SyFy, heres an example of one of mine:  Using 13 for Warehouse 13 works fine.  You only should use 1 good word from each show title, thats what AANY is for, but it has to be the entire word as you have found.

AANY 13 DEFIANCE CONTINUUM TTITLE CCHANS 244, then red button, instead of all choose tv types, series, then after results choose autorecord, 1st run both or repeats, keep (your preference), start and end times....I believe my example search is 44 characters which includes spaces.  I have 2 dvrs with literally every SL being a boolean search..choosing your words carefully and they work pretty flawlessly and allow you to record easily 150 uniques shows within that 50 series limit on the HR2x series, I goota believe with that logic you could get 300 shows on an HR34/44.

Edited by CCarncross, 18 April 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the good advice and suggestions.  Even with the restrictions using Boolean expressions is still better in certain circumstances than setting a manual.  For example I currently have manuals to record whole blocks of prime time lineups on certain nights.  This is frustrating (to me anyway) because the results are bunched together in a single 3 hour block.  Using a Boolean expression lets me record the same block of programs separated out in the list (which is especially nice if my wife and I disagree on certain shows).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...