Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Inputs and Outputs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I guess I've really got three questions here.

First, my TV related system now consists of:

• DirecTV DVR
  • Sony Blue-Ray DVR
  • Panasonic DVR (read + write)
  • Old VHS VCR,
  • JVC Super S-VHS VCR
  • Sony Beta VCR (barely works)
  • Sony ED-Beta VCR (needs fixing)
  • Turntable that I rarely use
  • Computer

I used to have an old Receiver, with an ocean of inputs and outputs on the back, but none of them were for Component or HDMI.  I thoroughly disliked that receiver, and gave it away, forcing myself to get a new one.  I'll be at B&H Photovideo tomorrow, so maybe I can pick out something that will work for me.  I don't need all of the above connected at the same time, but I'd like to connect as many as is reasonably possible.  Two or three is too few.

I live in a small apartment, so I don't have any need for a powerful amplifier.

I also have no need for i-related stuff in a receiver, as I use Android.

I don't mind paying extra for quality, but won't waste money on more power that I can't use.

I would prefer it to have 'phono' inputs from my turntable, but apparently these are no longer available?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good receiver, with a lot of inputs, that might be a good choice for me? 

-----------------------

Second question.  I called Sony earlier today about buying either their STR-DH520 or STR-DA1800ES Receiver.  They told two things that puzzle me:

a) that only one output works at a time (either HDMI, component, or composite - but only one!!)

B) if I connect an HDMI input, only the HDMI output can be used, and ditto for component signals.  I thought all the outputs would be powered simultaneously?

Is this true, or was she mistaken, or should I be looking at a different manufacturer?

-----------------------

Third question, I have considered buying a Hauppauge HD PVR, which will allow me to store recorded material on my computer, just as I used to do with video tapes.  This way, even if the DVR dies completely, my most important recordings will be stored in more than one place.  At some point in the future, it will become part of my system, so I need to get to the "component outputs" from my system, so the Hauppauge will connect things to my PC.  Once something is stored on the PC, I won't need it stored on the DVR, which will free up that space for other recordings.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by mikemyers, 18 April 2013 - 10:12 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 480 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think you can find a receiver with enough inputs, unfortunately the chances are good that it will be at or near the top of the line with a price tag to match.  Lower priced receivers tend to omit analog inputs and outputs, and S-video inputs are practically non-existent on new gear.

WIth regard to the outputs only working one at a time, that might be true on a lower-end unit. On better receivers, analog inputs (component, composite, S video) will be upconverted so they can appear at the HDMI output. But even on the best receivers, a signal originating on HDMI (like a DVR or a Bluray) will only appear on an HDMI receiver output and will not appear on any analog receiver output.  Copy protection at work here.

You know, something you might consider is a good used top-line receiver from 2 or 3 years ago.  That might be a better fit for your needs.  For example, a Pioneer Elite SC-05 has all the inputs you would need including phono.  They can be had used for under $500.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Regarding your Panasonic DVR which i take to be a DVD recorder, if it has HDMI out, connect it that way, and then chain all your VCRs together, out of one to in of the next, and plug into DVD recorder.  I'd put the S-VHS unit first up to the Panny and connect via S-video if panny has that jack, then connect your second best VCR,  then the barely working Beta.  As for the Beta ED on the DL, don't want to ruin your day, but getting it fixed will not be easy or cheap.  If it is just belts, you have a chance of getting it going yourself, but if it has a need for a motor or head or something, it is not good.  so, maybe you don't bother connecting it at all.

You can play VHS and Beta, and copy VHS and Beta to DVD.  You can't make a Beta copy of anything (and I'm not sure you would want to, but if you did, connect it's input to the composite out of the Panny.  Be advised, you have them in a ring, and you can get feedback if none of them are playing anything.

You mentioned a sony Blu-ray DVR, did you mean you have a blu-ray recorder?  if you only dub HD camcorder footage, it can input to another HDMI input on your receiver.  If you want to record from Beta, VHS, or DVD, see if the Panny DVD recorder has an extra analog output jcak set (mine does) and connect that to an analog in on the Blu-ray recorder (if it has one) (I don't have a blu-ray recorder yet, so I don't know how many jacks of whatever flavor they have.

As for the turntable, do you think you will ever use it again?  does it work now?

Maybe a USB phono adapter?  have one lady that loves hers, have another client that never got his to work, so you decide on that.

Edited by gov, 18 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, especially the idea of buying a used receiver.  That might solve everything. 

I just checked - a friend of mine in India gave me the Blue-Ray device, but it only plays, doesn't record.  At one point I thought it a good idea to save all my recordings on DVDs, just like years ago I had a huge collection of my recordings on video tapes, but I've lost interest in that.  One way or another, I'd prefer to somehow get them onto a hard drive in my PC.

Turntable - I haven't used it in 30 years, but what does one do with a huge stack of records?  I should probably just give it all away....   I like the idea of how to wire all these devices together.  It sounds better than what I was originally thinking of. 

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

LOL, what to do with the vinyl?

I know for myself, I don't want to chuck 'em, but I'm not sure my turntable works any more.  I should put all my vinyl into my PC and then put them on a thumb drive or something.

#6 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

I went to B&H in New York, and found several receivers that will do most of what I want.  After talking to the tech people there for a while, we came up with this one:

http://www.bhphotovi...Channel_AV.html

It's not that expensive (good), isn't over-powerful (also good), has what might be enough inputs and outputs (not what I wanted, but half the price of the units that had a huge number of inputs and outputs), and doesn't have a "phone" input (but none of the others did either).

Vinyl.....     not sure what to do with all of it.  I'm pretty sure my turntable still works, but who knows.  Throwing the records out sounds like a crime, considering how old they are.  I need to find something like the ASPCV (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Vinyl)....

How to copy my videos?  I purchased this:

http://www.bhphotovi..._USB_Video.html

Will get to try it out in a few days.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

the 1212 model selling at eBay for 1/3 price - $50 ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...