Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problem with NOMAD in Whole Home Setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   partymonkey

partymonkey

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I upgraded my setup to whole home at the beginning of this year.  DirecTV replaced two of my D receivers with an HR24 and an H25, and kept my HR23.  Since this setup was done, I have been unable to get my Nomad to prepare programs from the HR23.  This used to work perfectly fine (Nomad caveats aside) before.

All receivers report that they are connected to the SWiM and to the Internet when I do the dash key on the remote.  The receivers can play back Pandora, etc, and both DVRs are able to stream programs using the Nomad apps.  But as stated, I'm having trouble getting the HR23 to prepare programs for the Nomad for downloading.  It stays stuck on "Waiting to Prepare" forever, and then if I exit the Nomad app and come back it, it may report 59 min but doesn't progress beyond that.  These are not VOD programs.  The HR23 is not in use when trying this.

I have rebooted them several times, reset the Nomad a couple of times, and I am at a loss.

Here's a diagram describing my setup.  The setup was done by a Directv installer.

Can anyone give me any pointers/help?  Do you see any problems in the setup?

Attached Thumbnails

• Directv Setup.png

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,181 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

How'd you reset the Nomad? If it wasn't a 30-second "press and hold" of the red reset button, you might want to give that a try.

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   partymonkey

partymonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I did a "soft" reset, which I consider the 30-second red button, and a full reset, which erases the content and is the two minute plug in and red button hold.

This problem started with Whole Home was activated as best as I can tell.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Like Steve, I have some long standing experience with Nomad.

What I have experienced is Nomad weirdness when connecting through hubs and switches.

You show Nomad not connected directly to the router but to a hub instead. Also so are the DVR's.

From first hand experience I know that sometimes Nomad doesn't like it.  I have a Wi-Fi repeater in the home and although Nomad sees everything it won't work properly through a Wi-Fi repeater direct connection back to the router.

Others have posted issues with switches and secondary routers in the network.

I know you wrote it worked before but with HR24's something changed.

The best method is to bring Nomad and your DECA connection back to the router directly.

A router typically has 4 wired ports and if one is to Nomad and the other to DECA feeding the HR's, that should solve it.

If you have a modem that is separate from the router try this.

Modem--EOP---------------------EOP--Router   where the router replaces the hub.

But I won't pretend to know your system and if that is possible.   But getting everything wired on Cat 5/6 back to the primary router seems to solve almost all woes.

#5 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hub or switch?

#6 OFFLINE   partymonkey

partymonkey

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

@Rtm:   what I have is a switch, which is then connected to the modem+router.  The nomad and the DECA II are both connected to the same switch.

@NR4P:  thanks for your suggestion, but it is unfeasible for me to connect the nomad and the DVR to the modem+router directly.   (and before whole-home I had the same setup except that in that case the hr23 dvr itself went into the switch instead of through the deca II).

spam firewall