Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recommendations for satellite antenna, coax cable, and antenna tower

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm still curious as to why you would even need the tower?  If you get DirecTV, they provide your locals for you without the need of an over-the-air antenna. 

Good point.  According to DirecTV, the following local channels are available to residents of Idaho Falls

Channel 8 ABC KIFI

Channel 3 CBS KIDK

Channel 9 CW CW

Channel 24 FOX KXPI

Channel 31 IND KFXP

Channel 6 NBC KPVI

Channel 10 PBS KISU  

Edited by Bill Broderick, 23 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bungi43

bungi43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm still curious as to why you would even need the tower?  If you get DirecTV, they provide your locals for you without the need of an over-the-air antenna. 

I live in the middle of  no-where, but I am about 75 miles sight line to Chicago, and 65 to South Bend.  I'm a huge football guy, and I have 3 TV's in my sports room.  What I don't want to pay for are extra receivers for usage on Saturday's during the fall.  So when I moved into my new house, I hooked up an antenna and point it towards chicago, and hooked up an antenna and pointed it towards south bend.  I ran the antenna to every room in my house.  Now on Saturdays when I watch football, I can tune those TV's into my xbox for ESPN 3, or my antenna, and I only have to have one Satellite receiver to the 3 TV's.  So if there are multiple games on the OTA channels (CBS, Fox, NBC and ABC) which there usually are, I can tune my xbox or DirecTV receiver to ESPN, and pick up the OTA games on the antennas.  That also allows me to have some TV feeds sent to my guest rooms when I have family in from town.

I also have it run to my garage.  So for me, I get a ton of use out of my antenna, even with DirecTV providing me my locals.

Edited by bungi43, 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM.

spam firewall