Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Three VIP722 Household Switching to Hopper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mr_mark95

mr_mark95

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have a very large installation that uses three VIP722s.  I have a total of nine TVs on three levels.  I also have OTA going to each.

Level one has two TVs and is a simple installation.  I have two RG6 coming to the 722.  One is from satellite and one is from OTA.  I have an RG6 connection going to TV2 but not sharing the OTA.

On the 2nd level I have four TVs.  I have two RG6 coming to the 722.  One is from satellite and one is from OTA.  I have an RG6 connection going to TV2 but not sharing the OTA.  I also split the output from TV1 to a 3rd TV.  This allows me to view TV1 or TV2 on a 3rd TV.  I also run an output to a fourth TV from TV2 which will allow viewing whatever TV2 in tuned to.

On the 3rd level I have three TVs.   I have two RG6 coming to the 722.  One is from satellite and one is from OTA.  I have an RG6 connection going to TV2 but not sharing the OTA.  I also split the output from TV1 to a 3rd TV.  This allows me to view TV1 or TV2 on a 3rd TV.

My first thought was to keep one of the 722s and replace the other two with two Hoppers.  If I am reading correctly they will not let me keep any of the old equipment.  Is this correct?

It would be hard for me to implement with two Hoppers.  I do not share RG6 between floors.  I have six lines coming in.  Two going to each floor.  Since I only needed one  each for the 722s I use the other ones for the OTA.  It starts on the 3rd floor going directly into that TV1.  I then split it from there using the 2nd RG6 back outside and then use the 2nd line going in to the other two floors to each TV1.

I really have two TVs on each floor that need to have their own tuners.  With the extra TVs I can just split the input and make them view whatever is being seen on another tuner.

I am paying $34 a month ($17 each) for the 2nd and 3rd 722.  I am paying a $10 DVR fee.

Will I save money with Hoppers and is this even something I should consider doing?  I had to pull teeth to get the three 722s a few years back.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Is this correct?

- yes

bill ? see here http://www.dbstalk.c...-fees-going-up/

Edited by P Smith, 18 April 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

I am paying $34 a month ($17 each) for the 2nd and 3rd 722.  I am paying a $10 DVR fee.

Will I save money with Hoppers and is this even something I should consider doing?  I had to pull teeth to get the three 722s a few years back.

At the current price for the Hoppers it would almost be a no-brainer to upgrade to three of them and throw in a few Joeys.

With the new priceing it would appear to me, on the gut level, that you would be better off staying with what you have.

I planned on adding a second Hopper but now I most likely will not.  It would seem to me that Dish should relax the rules on keeping a 722 active once this price increase goes into effect.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall