Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR and Hopper Fees going up!!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Didn't they already have an increase this year?

Who cares if we , customers, will pay :(

Edited by P Smith, 18 April 2013 - 05:29 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Didn't they already have an increase this year?

A price increase ... not a fee increase.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yes.  Why are they doing two price increases this year?

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#24 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

While that is a correct statement, it doesn't change anything.  Call it a 'fee' increase, call it a 'price' increase, but the bottom line is the bottom line.  And I for one will be doing something about my bottom line.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

How soon people forget! Standard dvr fee went from $6 to $7. Dish wisely (for them anyway) held up raising the Hopper fees until after the the second version came out and convinced some more people to upgrade. $4 and $7 increases for equipment fees are quite large, even compared to the cabelcos. So much for being the "low priced" satellite provider.

Edited by MCHuf, 18 April 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Who cares if we , customers, will pay :(

True, but I think I'd rather find out all the increases at once, not one increase then a different increase a few months later. But over on the DirecTV side, someone was saying that they were going to have another increase as well. Will have to see if its true.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

How soon people forget! Standard dvr fee went from $6 to $7. Dish wisely (for them anyway) held up raising the Hopper fees until after the the second version came out and convinced some more people to upgrade. $4 and $7 increases for equipment fees are quite large, even compared to the cabelcos. So much for being the "low priced" satellite provider.

The increase does hit the "holy cow" level ... but whole home for $10 is probably underpriced and DirecTV's fee increase earlier this year paved the way for DISH to follow suit.

I was surprised that the 2nd Hopper was only $7 per month ... but it fit into DISH's "7 per outlet" calculation and a Hopper is only one more outlet. If a 2nd Hopper remained $7 and a 2nd Hopper with Sling became $14 it would become more understandable as Sling provides a second outlet.

The Hopper provides more utility than a Joey so I suppose it should have a higher price per month ... but it will be an unwelcome surprise - a gotcha - for the people who got a second Hopper and were happy paying a Joey monthly price.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not surprising at all, with the AMC/Rainbow lawsuit and the possible Sprint acquisition, guess who gets to pay for that, Even though they have the money for Sprint it will come out of our pockets, That's what happens when major companies when they create new technology and contracts you have to endure to pay regardless

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#29 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

The increase does hit the "holy cow" level ... but whole home for $10 is probably underpriced and DirecTV's fee increase earlier this year paved the way for DISH to follow suit.

As a consumer I wouldn't say that the $10 fee was low, I would say that the other guys are too high! But the equipment fees for all pay-tv providers are really getting out of hand. Tivo's new WHDVR set-up is starting to look attractive. It's too bad that ATT, DirecTV and Dish are exempt from the cable card rules. 

Edited by MCHuf, 18 April 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Is Rabbit TV a scam or for real? Is there any other internet TV besides Roku that is worth looking into?

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

All rabbit tv gives you is links. I wouldn't bother. The channels and conglomerates do what they can for Internet TV to not be worth much without a subscription until its old enough to be on Amazon or Netflix. You might want to check out iptvconnection.com

#32 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

DAMN!!

I get 2 hoppers and 3 Joeys tomorrow, and the Mrs. has actually asked for it, so I can't back out.

UGH!! 2 year committment with $11 per month more than I had planned  - really stinks.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#33 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

hmmmmm, let me think a moment,

now where did I store that vcr..... :smoking:

seriously? that big of an increase to skip commercials?

Better off with a older receiver........

chris

#34 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

Well, this will mean a service call for me.  I have a 2h/3j system and DOUBLING the cost of the 2nd Hopper - another $84/year is NOT worth it.  No avoiding the $4 increase in the DVR fee but it'll be a net savings for me.

#35 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

I've never understood the DVR fee to begin with.  When Tivo came out, they had a monthly fee so it could download guide data (a subscription service that involved nightly call-ins.)  ReplayTV built that guide data fee into their price, and that was that.  But with satellite, even the least advanced receiver downloads guide data as part of their satellite service, so there's no extra costs to the provider for the DVR.  Sure, there's a software/firmware component that has to be taken into account, but the fees seem far too high for that.  Hard drives fail, I get that, and that adds to support costs, but that's why you pay for the protection plan or a service call when things go wrong.

You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to record a program.  Period.  And a price hike simply makes the alternatives look better.

#36 OFFLINE   zackeryg

zackeryg

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Is Rabbit TV a scam or for real? Is there any other internet TV besides Roku that is worth looking into?

Don't waste your money.  Its just links to any webiste which has video on it.

For free you can go to wwitv dot com and see a updated list of all video sites for free.

#37 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Guess I'll be keeping my two 622's as long as possible.  Just had a $17 increase in my Dish bill in February that has me wondering if I should go back to Comcast after all these years.  Meanwhile Comcast boosted my internet service fee because I don't have the TV package.  As I understand it, I would get a $14 drop in the internet fee if I add Comcast TV.  I had no intention of doing that but Dish suddenly seems to be getting very greedy.  Now all options are on the table.

• husker61 likes this

#38 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hmm.

If D* holds the line for a while, I can make some $$ switching folks back from E* as soon as their commitment is up. 

I used to discourage folks from switching providers, but if that is the business plan now, I guess I have to go along.

Ka ching!

#39 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

There is no price protection, Dish has virtually never had price protection. People always confuse the discount they are promised on package prices with price protection. And Dish has never had any kind of protection against fees going up.

Edited by tampa8, 19 April 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

I get weekly mail from ATT trying to get me to move to the dark side of the Uverse. Maybe it's time.

DISH also needs to cancel their commercials where they blast D* for raising rates multiple times a year.

If you look at the economy stats, sure, the overall economy seems to be better. However, personal income and spendable income is down compared to 3 years ago. All the money is being made by companies. Charlie Ergen's company has how much cash and he wants us to add to it? QED
  • husker61 likes this

spam firewall