Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR and Hopper Fees going up!!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm in the first year and they've done a price protection discount for that period.  I wonder if that will increase to offset the increase in fees during the first year?

Assuming they don't, the more I think about the gross increase in fees, the less pleased I am.  Yeah, I can drop things to keep the bill down, but then I'll be missing the things I want to watch.  To each his own I suppose, but these increases have made me even less 'loyal' to these companies.  And while I've been mostly 'all about me', I'll be even more so now.

Unfortunately this is a family forum and I can't just type the 2 word phrase that is dancing around my head!!   :(

There goes the Blockbuster channels!!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

There goes the Bloockbuster channels. :) 

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#43 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I've never understood the DVR fee to begin with.  When Tivo came out, they had a monthly fee so it could download guide data (a subscription service that involved nightly call-ins.)  ReplayTV built that guide data fee into their price, and that was that.  But with satellite, even the least advanced receiver downloads guide data as part of their satellite service, so there's no extra costs to the provider for the DVR.  Sure, there's a software/firmware component that has to be taken into account, but the fees seem far too high for that.  Hard drives fail, I get that, and that adds to support costs, but that's why you pay for the protection plan or a service call when things go wrong.

You shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to record a program.  Period.  And a price hike simply makes the alternatives look better.

^ This (let them disable the extra features on the dvr without a fee but having it just to record a program is ridiculous. My first dvr was a ReplayTV with no fees whatsover.)....and the channels constantly showing the same things over and over and over. Plus popups over shows, more commercials, little variety. Both providers and television stations need to WAKE UP...BECAUSE INTERNET + ROKU + NETFLIX/Amazon Instant Video gets more appealing every day.

Edited by mike1977, 19 April 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

There goes the Blockbuster channels!!

Rub it in, why doncha???  :)

Yeah, most likely I will drop the since the only channels I care about in it are the Epix channels, and I care even less about a dvd in the mail.  So I'll save $3/month and drop the BB@Home to just the EPIX package.

I can't drop from the T250 because of a couple channels that I really like there.  So any other savings will have to be from 'dickering for dollars' from the Dish pig!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#45 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Effective May 22 (according to DIRT member):

DVR Fee - From $10 to $14

Hopper Fee - From $7 to $14

Wow... so glad I was slacking on moving from my 622 to the Hopper/joey.  I was already non-plussed about the fee increase I'd have had to deal with before this.  To think, I was about to ask Ray for a quote...   hah!

Any dirt members watching... tell Charlie, no thank you... I don't need to be funding your Sprint purchase.  Keep this up and you might just drive me to Verizon... they already give me internet and have been begging for my TV business.  So far I've said no because Dish has always treated me well, but since that seems to be sliding maybe it's time I saved some money instead.

Edited by koralis, 19 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

• husker61 likes this

#46 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Coming on the heels of a price hike in February, I find this to be a dangerous move.  Dish is going to have to work hard to justify the increased charges, which I suspect have a lot to do with the legal fees involved in defending the Hopper.

I'm investigating my alternatives.

• husker61 likes this

#47 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

My gut says this is less about needing/wanting more money than it is about trying to control two-Hopper households.

A lot of people were wanting 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey... and if it cost you the same per month to have either config, why wouldn't you want 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey?  It's a no brainer!  Of course you'd rather have the tuners over just a Joey.

So... how does a company control demand?  Raise the price on what they want you to take less of...

From the consumer end, yeah it is a huge price hike... but look at it from the Dish end...  They make more money off of TWO customers who each have one Hopper than they do ONE customer with two hoppers...  Dish would rather be using those Hoppers for new installs of new customers, than stacking them up with existing customers.

That, to me, is the driving force behind this price increase... not a cash grab... but an attempt to nudge their customer base towards making the decision that Dish wants them to make.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#48 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

My gut says this is less about needing/wanting more money than it is about trying to control two-Hopper households.

A lot of people were wanting 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey... and if it cost you the same per month to have either config, why wouldn't you want 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey? It's a no brainer! Of course you'd rather have the tuners over just a Joey.

So... how does a company control demand? Raise the price on what they want you to take less of...

So they should jack up the price of Hopper #2 and leave the pricing of Hopper #1 and DVR fee alone. Otherwise they're just begging current customers to leave to get better deals from their competitors.

From the consumer end, yeah it is a huge price hike... but look at it from the Dish end... They make more money off of TWO customers who each have one Hopper than they do ONE customer with two hoppers... Dish would rather be using those Hoppers for new installs of new customers, than stacking them up with existing customers.

That, to me, is the driving force behind this price increase... not a cash grab... but an attempt to nudge their customer base towards making the decision that Dish wants them to make.

To leave Dish behind because their pricing no longer makes sense to their current customers? An odd nudge in my opinion.

Seems more likely that they kept pricing lowish and to entice people to switch over to the new technology and lock in, then hit them with fee increases. They seem to think that what they are offering is good enough that people will shrug it off. I'm not shrugging. I'm certainly not going to be recommending Hopper systems to anyone that asks my opinion. Frankly, it leaves me with a less-than-glowing feeling about Dish as a company and I can't say I'd recommend Dish even with the older recievers at this pt.

Edited by koralis, 19 April 2013 - 02:12 PM.

• husker61 likes this

#49 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Oh, I understand the 2 Hopper dilemma they created for themselves.  What isn't clear to me is why my single-1st-gen Hopper install is going up $4.  How does this nudge me in any direction other than to look around at what else is out there?

• husker61 likes this

#50 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Effective May 22 (according to DIRT member):

DVR Fee - From $10 to $14

Hopper Fee - From $7 to $14

If you have two hoppers and two joeys, your cost will be:

DVR Fee (includes first Hopper) - $14

2nd Hopper Fee - $14

Joey - $7

Joey - $7

:(

I have 2 Hoppers.. For $28.00 a month, I'll go out and buy a TIVO and get a cable card for $8.00 a month. Will pay for itself in less than 2 years. 

I do enjoy my Dish, but the price increases are getting worst than cable.

This will push me to cable or Direct. 

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#51 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

A lot of people were wanting 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey... and if it cost you the same per month to have either config, why wouldn't you want 2 Hoppers instead of a Hopper + Joey?  It's a no brainer!  Of course you'd rather have the tuners over just a Joey.

So... how does a company control demand?  Raise the price on what they want you to take less of...

From the consumer end, yeah it is a huge price hike... but look at it from the Dish end...  They make more money off of TWO customers who each have one Hopper than they do ONE customer with two hoppers...  Dish would rather be using those Hoppers for new installs of new customers, than stacking them up with existing customers.

If I want 2 Hoppers then I shouldn't be penalized so to speak for more fees, That's like if directv ever allow 2 genies for the same monthly fee as the genie minis but since no one wants minis, they'll get 2 genies and suddenly the fee increases, Why should a company dictate what to get if that is not what I want, This is one of many reasons the two CEOs want a merger.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I didn't say I liked or applaud price raises :)

Just saying I think this one is more complicated.  I think Dish underestimated how many people would want a 2-Hopper install for the extra tuners and realized they were not charging "enough" for that to discourage casual customers from doing that install instead of a Hopper + Joey install.

As for the single-Hopper price going up $4... that probably is tied more to the introduction of the Hopper w/ Sling and a desire to grab a little more cash... so I guess part cash-grab part psychology in play here.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Seen a bill today for mid April - mid May period, same $10 for H and $7 for J. :blowout:

#54 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Seen a bill today for mid April - mid May period, same $10 for H and $7 for J. :blowout:

Which will change effective on May 22, I really hope they don't follow through because then Directv will follow suit. But wishful thinking.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#55 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Which will change effective on May 22, I really hope they don't follow through because then Directv will follow suit. But wishful thinking.

DirecTV will follow suit how? Their fee for a multi-room DVR is already $25.  And AFAIK, you can only have 1, though it does have 5 discreet tuners, and a 2-tuner OTA add-on available.

I've done my price comparisons, and I'm going to have to eat the cost.  While I could save $28/month by switching to the local phone company, I'd be giving up a few channels that I really enjoy.  Ditto for downgrading from AT250.  But for me, it's only a $4 change.  And I've been with the beast that is DirecTV hardware, and I can't stomach going back, not to mention the fact that even a 2-tuner DVR is going to end up costing me more than Dish.

When the day comes where I can stream NASCAR and ATP/WTA tennis, unplugging completely looks like a seriously good option.  Until then, I'm stuck.

• Jaspear likes this

#56 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

DirecTV will follow suit how? Their fee for a multi-room DVR is already $25.  And AFAIK, you can only have 1, though it does have 5 discreet tuners, and a 2-tuner OTA add-on available...

Doesn't that OTA add on just access 2 of the five tuners?

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

The directv fee includes the DVR and HD fee. But an am21 does not add tuners. Of course the genie works with regular receivers as well.

#58 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

The directv fee includes the DVR and HD fee. But an am21 does not add tuners. Of course the genie works with regular receivers as well.

The D* 'advanced receiver fee' is a combo of HD, DVR and MRV.  E*'s fee is a combo of DVR and MRV as HD is free for life with E*.

Lloyd

#59 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Here's some things to ponder about these increases.

1.  Hopper lease fee is doubling - IOW a 100% increase

2.  Hopper/Joey 'DVR' fee is kind of a misnomer.  It is actually DVR=$7, MRV=$3, and since the non-Hopper DVR fee isn't increasing, in reality neither is the Hopper DVR porting.  All of the increase is in the MRV, from $3 to $7 which is a 133% increase.

Note that puts the DVR+MRV within a dollar of the same fees for Direct.

Also because of the exorbitant percentage increase, I think a class action (or even individual) lawsuit could be winnable because  of a 'material or significant' change in those fees, similar to what was done in the cell arena.  Of course with a class action the consumer gets pretty much nada and only the lawyers make out.  And doing an individual lawsuit would cost more than any probable recovery.

Lloyd

#60 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

DirecTV will follow suit how? Their fee for a multi-room DVR is already $25.  And AFAIK, you can only have 1, though it does have 5 discreet tuners, and a 2-tuner OTA add-on available.

Just to clarify, the D* Advanced Receiver charge is correct at $25/mth, unless you opt-in for email/paperless billing with ABP (auto bill pay). Then, additional $10 off for 24 months.

Correct, only 1 Genie/HR34 allowed per account when ordering through D* (currently)..rumor has it that may change, but no further info. This link may help with ordering additional HR34s from external source >> http://www.amazon.co...iews/B006YTAGBO (click MOST HELPFUL FIRST)

OTA (AM-21) is available for local feed, but does not add tuners (just maximizes local channels where applicable)..highly recommend to use AM-21 with external, mid-range antenna from http://solidsignal.com or http://amazon.com.

-=K=-

Edited by kaminar, 20 April 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...