Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously need to vent...re: installation cluster*

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I told them in my email that I was rethinking going with DTV and may go with another provider.

You have to do what's best for your situation, good luck with what ever provider you choose.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Conundrum

I suggest you email the office of the president. They are very good at solving unusual situations like yours.

ellen.filipiak@directv.com  You will have to copy and paste the address, it didn't hyperlink for some reason.

Edited by studechip, 20 April 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Well technically the problem on my end is solved.  They have training issues on their end, but they aren't going to discuss those with an outsider...and I wouldn't expect them to.  Much more from me would just be fishing for free stuff trying to get them buy my loyalty.  While free stuff is nice, I've always thought people who go out just trying to get it are kinda lame.  Having said that, if the guy who replied to my original complaint did as he said and forwarded it up the chain and they contact me and try to "make it right", I may revisit my decision.  But until then I'm probably not going to bother.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,278 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I see this as an "innocent" misunderstanding.  What I would do on my part is to pass to DirecTV this info so that they can properly train their CSRs (even tho it might not go nowhere) in the hopes that it wont happen to the next customer.  I would not expect any "compensation" since they were no "wrong doing" or "misleading" 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

One possible benefit of sending an email to Ellen's office.  They could have your install expedited once you get your HOA approval.

#26 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I see this as an "innocent" misunderstanding.  What I would do on my part is to pass to DirecTV this info so that they can properly train their CSRs (even tho it might not go nowhere) in the hopes that it wont happen to the next customer.  I would not expect any "compensation" since they were no "wrong doing" or "misleading" 

Innocent misunderstanding?

I guess DTV fanboys are no different than gaming fanboys...kinda interesting to note.

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Innocent misunderstanding?

I guess DTV fanboys are no different than gaming fanboys...kinda interesting to note.

It was a screw up.

"More than likely" the webpage phone number no longer is directed to the right group.

You're new here, so I won't pick on you, "but" had you taken the time to find this place before and asked your question, you would have heard you needed a 1.2 meter dish.

A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

It was a screw up.

"More than likely" the webpage phone number no longer is directed to the right group.

You're new here, so I won't pick on you, "but" had you taken the time to find this place before and asked your question, you would have heard you needed a 1.2 meter dish.

I understand that...but at the same time as I noted multiple times...any reasonable person would assume calling the number listed as being for Hawaii should have provided accurate info.

But I will agree that I'm betting it just goes to the regular sales floor...probably saved a few bucks by getting rid of the Hawaii people.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I understand that...but at the same time as I noted multiple times...any reasonable person would assume calling the number listed as being for Hawaii should have provided accurate info.

But I will agree that I'm betting it just goes to the regular sales floor...probably saved a few bucks by getting rid of the Hawaii people.

There are tens of thousands of customer service reps, in many [many] locations.

The time of day you call has a lot to do with where you end up.

This isn't meant as an excuse, but just to give an idea of what you are dealing with.

A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

There are tens of thousands of customer service reps, in many [many] locations.

The time of day you call has a lot to do with where you end up.

This isn't meant as an excuse, but just to give an idea of what you are dealing with.

And not to come off as sounding boastful about the board here, but while there may indeed be knowledgeable CSRs, in the area of technical knowledge I personally find CS to be very poor for the most part over my many years with DIRECTV unfortunately and therefore never rely on it. I always come here to the board for that.

I only use CS for things like billing issues, discount deals, ordering equipment, service calls (for the increasingly few things I feel I cannot handle myself), etc. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#31 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

It would surely be easier to make a list of consumer products that have good customer service than making a list of those with bad customer service. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of with truly good customer service where the people are actually knowledgeable about the products and appear to care about the customer is Apple, though I've only ever dealt with them in the stores, I don't know how they are if you call them up.

Pretty much all companies seem to look at customer service as a cost center that's a necessary evil they wish they could do away with, so they'll do anything they can make it cheaper like outsourcing overseas, giving the minimal training possible so you always know way more than them if you spend more than a few minutes researching on the Internet, having so few CSRs you have to wait 10-15 minutes to talk to anyone so some people will give up, etc.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

It would surely be easier to make a list of consumer products that have good customer service than making a list of those with bad customer service. Off the top of my head, the only one I can think of with truly good customer service where the people are actually knowledgeable about the products and appear to care about the customer is Apple, though I've only ever dealt with them in the stores, I don't know how they are if you call them up.

Pretty much all companies seem to look at customer service as a cost center that's a necessary evil they wish they could do away with, so they'll do anything they can make it cheaper like outsourcing overseas, giving the minimal training possible so you always know way more than them if you spend more than a few minutes researching on the Internet, having so few CSRs you have to wait 10-15 minutes to talk to anyone so some people will give up, etc.

I've had wonderful CS from Amazon. Usually, it seems billing departments are the most frustrating.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

You don't need HOA's permission to install satellite dishes.......     All they can do is give you a guidelines on where they want you to install it which is fine.  But if the installation requires the dish to be installed in a location where LOS is required and it's in a spot where they don't prefer there is nothing they can do to deny you the right to service.   And if they levy a fine or any other cost due to that fact you can sue them and you will win.    

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

You don't need HOA's permission to install satellite dishes.......    

As has been posted earlier, this is a 1.2 meter dish, and not a Slimline.

A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

You don't need HOA's permission to install satellite dishes.......     All they can do is give you a guidelines on where they want you to install it which is fine.  But if the installation requires the dish to be installed in a location where LOS is required and it's in a spot where they don't prefer there is nothing they can do to deny you the right to service.   And if they levy a fine or any other cost due to that fact you can sue them and you will win.    

I suggest you read the OTARD (or re-read it), because your info on this thread and another is incorrect. 

Edited by trh, 21 April 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

Some people are still acting like I just called regular customer service...this is what I called.

Xie6CRi.jpg

#37 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Some people are still acting like I just called regular customer service...this is what I called.

Xie6CRi.jpg

But your call probably got routed to what turns out to be little more than regular CS on the technical training front if at all, is the point. :)

Believe me in my near 18 years with DIRECTV I've seen a lot worse technical incompetence from CS. Particularly from the level 1 front line CSRs.   

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Xie6CRi.jpg

No I'm not "acting like" much.

What I think happened is the webpage isn't up to date, so the number now goes into the CSR "pool".

Googling that phone number pulls up this webpage: http://www.directv.c...assetId=3550007

The question about the dish is listed:

HaCapture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

No I'm not "acting like" much.

What I think happened is the webpage isn't up to date, so the number now goes into the CSR "pool".

Googling that phone number pulls up this webpage: http://www.directv.c...assetId=3550007

The question about the dish is listed:

attachicon.gifHaCapture.PNG

Yes indeed,

While the 1.2m ODU is correctly mentioned, you can see the obsolescence of that webpage and undoubtedly the associated phone number on it by the equipment listed.

1.2m dish for HD service makes no mention the more modern single ODU option using a SWiM multiswitch. But even more revealing of this webpages' age is the mention of the long obsolete first generation 87cm "round" dish ODU for international service instead of the current 24 x 36 elliptical DTV66E. :nono2:     

#40 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

I told a CSR that my installer used the old "the truck broke down" excuse for being 2 hours late, and I got 25 bucks off my first bill! Maybe because I didn't sound like a whiner who seems to have led a pretty sweet life up until now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...