Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously need to vent...re: installation cluster*

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

Why do people get involved with HOAs?  The first question I ask a real estate agent is if the house I'm interested in has an HOA.  We have two HOA homes in our family and they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.  Or am I missing something?  

Rich

• joe58 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Why do people get involved with HOAs?  The first question I ask a real estate agent is if the house I'm interested in has an HOA.  We have two HOA homes in our family and they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.  Or am I missing something?  

Rich

As with anything, YMMV when it comes to HOA's. We have one where I live and they're practically invisible. My dish is plainly visible on the side of my house.

We did have someone who took it upon themselves to be a "rat" to our HOA and report every little nit picky thing. The HOA basically told them to STFU.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Rich

Right on! HOAs can be a PITA

• joe58 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Rich

Depends on if you want to live on the same block as the guy with the mail box on a 20' pole labeled as "air mail" or the guy across the street (who works for the state DOT) who painted their soffits with reflective green paint.  Looked OK during the day, but at night when cars drove by, it didn't. Then again, there are some HOAs that go overboard.

Edited by trh, 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to ask the OP, what exactly are you looking for here?  A mistake was made, you now have the correct info.  You've stated that for past 5 years you've been without American TV service, and might now want it anyway.  What's 3 more weeks to wait for the best TV out there? 

HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'd like to ask the OP, what exactly are you looking for here?  A mistake was made, you now have the correct info.  You've stated that for past 5 years you've been without American TV service, and might now want it anyway.  What's 3 more weeks to wait for the best TV out there? 

and….this was the point I was trying to make wayyyyyyy early on this thread…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Rich

Rich

Go try and find a house in a new new neighborhood or develpment without a HOA....let us know what kind of luck you have.

#48 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would think the title of the thread would answer that.

#49 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

and….this was the point I was trying to make wayyyyyyy early on this thread…

Actually your point was to be a white night for DTV and protect them from the mean old hater.

Yeah, that came through loud and clear.

Edited by Conundrum, 22 April 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Actually

Everyone needs to vent every once and a while, but at some point it's time to move on, so "actually" what is the point now?

15 posts in this one thread should have been enough, right?

A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Rich

I ask the same question, because I'll only buy a house that has an HOA.  I've owned 5 houses in my life, 3 with HOA's and 2 without.  Never had an issue with any of the HOA's I've belonged to (including the current one) , but had lots of trouble with the 2 that didn't have them - including costing me money on resale.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

As with anything, YMMV when it comes to HOA's. We have one where I live and they're practically invisible. My dish is plainly visible on the side of my house.

We did have someone who took it upon themselves to be a "rat" to our HOA and report every little nit picky thing. The HOA basically told them to STFU.

You're lucky.  In Maryland, where some of my in-laws live they can't put up anything but a split-rail fence, no above ground pools, have to apply to put in trees, things like that.  And the president of the HOA lives across the street.  Not a pleasant person.

Rich

• joe58 likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Go try and find a house in a new new neighborhood or develpment without a HOA....let us know what kind of luck you have.

Come to NJ.  I've got a developement down the road a bit from me that started selling houses in the million dollar range (then the housing market tanked and they're unloading them for ~ $650,000) and no HOA.  Buy a house for half a million to a million dollars and you rarely see any signs of HOAs here.  Not trying to argue, just curious why folks get involved with them.  

Rich

#54 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

The thing in Hawaii is though, if TS or any other's HOA for that matter, does not allow the 1.2  meter ODU, that means they don't allow DIRECTV service altogether since there are no smaller dish alternatives. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#55 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Most of us spend time researching electronic devices costing hundreds before we but them. I hope everyone spends even more time doing diligence when buying a house costing thousands.

#56 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

It still doesn't change the fact that DirecTV is at fault 100% here since THEY are the ones that created and own the phone numbers and websites and have poorly trained CSRs on the other end of that so called "Special Hawaii phone number"! Joe Sixpack wouldn't and understandably shouldn't have to do ANY MORE RESEARCH than to call that so called "Special Hawaii phone number"! Otherwise what's the point of even having it? Some of you guys have seemed to lose touch with reality. It's analogous to blaming the victim for putting themselves in the position to have the crime put upon them for God's sake!

I don't know about you, but after serving my country for years outside the good ole US of A and then experiencing that incompetence and blatant mistake, I'd be pretty pissed off too!

Edited by harperhometheater, 23 April 2013 - 02:04 PM.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#57 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,716 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Come to NJ.  I've got a developement down the road a bit from me that started selling houses in the million dollar range (then the housing market tanked and they're unloading them for ~ $650,000) and no HOA.  Buy a house for half a million to a million dollars and you rarely see any signs of HOAs here.  Not trying to argue, just curious why folks get involved with them.  

Rich

HOA: Home Owners Anarchy.

• joe58 likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#58 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

It still doesn't change the fact that DirecTV is at fault 100% here since THEY are the ones that created and own the phone numbers and websites and have poorly trained CSRs on the other end of that so called "Special Hawaii phone number"! Joe Sixpack wouldn't and understandably shouldn't have to do ANY MORE RESEARCH than to call that so called "Special Hawaii phone number"! Otherwise what's the point of even having it? Some of you guys have seemed to lose touch with reality. It's analogous to blaming the victim for putting themselves in the position to have the crime put upon them for God's sake!

I don't know about you, but after serving my country for years outside the good ole US of A and then experiencing that incompetence and blatant mistake, I'd be pretty pissed off too!

bingo

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

It still doesn't change the fact that DirecTV is at fault 100% here ….

Nobody is denying this fact.  They did a mistake, it was corrected my the CSR who followed with the e-mail.  I think we should let this one rest….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

You and I know that's NOT the way this thread went. I felt guilty for the OP as I read it, like he was the one on trial by the DTV lovestruck masses that frequent here.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

Protected By... spam firewall...And...