Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously need to vent...re: installation cluster*

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

No, as far as I can recall the old vBulletin software at some point changed from "Original Poster" to "Thread Starter" for the remainder of its use. Now since the new forum software's debut its changed again from "Thread Starter" to "Topic Starter."   

I could swear I saw Thread Starter, but you're probably correct.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I am a Tech Support Trainer and this certainly isn't an "innocent misunderstanding" and I don't want any of my customers thinking that.  It is common knowledge that AK/HI require larger dishes.  If the CSRs that he spoke to didn't pass on this information then they are poorly trained or just inattentive.  They are trained to know this and the information is readily available. 

So what would it be?  A drastically mistake that was done on purpose?????? as a plot of the CSRs to mislead the customer to they go to another provider....  I suck on conspiracy theories....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#83 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

So what would it be?  A drastically mistake that was done on purpose?????? as a plot of the CSRs to mislead the customer to they go to another provider....  I suck on conspiracy theories....

One person would have been a misunderstanding, three people (including the guy who sent the email) is a much deeper problem.  To me it sounds like major training issue coupled with poor maintenance to the website. 

#84 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Anyway...UPDATE.

After the email reply gave me bad info in the form of a broken link I decided "what the hell" and emailed that SVP of Customer Relations lastnight....wow...that lit a fire :)

I just recieved a phone call from a very nice lady apologizing for everything.  She also offered pretty much immediate install (within 24 hrs) if I decide to go with them.  She also offered to waive my first months bill.

Now that is what I actually call "Making it right".

#85 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Agreed! :up:

FWIW, I'm also in HI and have a HOA.  I never asked permission to install the large dish.  If I remember right, I just got the dimensions of the shortest part of the oval dish and it was about 1M, so I was like, "OK, good to go!!!" :D  I've been here almost 4 years and haven't heard a thing about it.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#86 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Napoleon said it well; "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence".

#87 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Very true, I just got off the phone with "incompetence", attempting to talk to a clueless federal employee and then her equally incompetent supervisor at OPM! Why is it that someone who literally takes 5 minutes on Google finding a regulation and reads it knows more than the person they call who actually works at said organization?!?!?! :rolleyes:

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#88 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Anyway...UPDATE.

After the email reply gave me bad info in the form of a broken link I decided "what the hell" and emailed that SVP of Customer Relations lastnight....wow...that lit a fire :)

I just recieved a phone call from a very nice lady apologizing for everything.  She also offered pretty much immediate install (within 24 hrs) if I decide to go with them.  She also offered to waive my first months bill.

Now that is what I actually call "Making it right".

Now that is "done right"  you can careless if it happens to someone else....  

If it was me, I would make it my goal to have the facts corrected, without any compensation!  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#89 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

So if a waiter/waitress spills a beer on you, gives you wrong or badly cooked food, forgets about you for a LONG time, etc. at a restaurant, you expect absolutely NO compensation (free dessert, $ off bill, coupon, etc.) AND you will personally make it YOUR mission to train the guilty employees??? Last I checked that was the supervisor and/or manager's job!!!  :confused:

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#90 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

So if a waiter/waitress spills a beer on you, gives you wrong or badly cooked food, forgets about you for a LONG time, etc. at a restaurant, you expect absolutely NO compensation (free dessert, $ off bill, coupon, etc.) AND you will personally make it YOUR mission to train the guilty employees??? Last I checked that was the supervisor and/or manager's job!!!  :confused:

You are comparing apples to oranges.  Your analogy would be more like if a order a pasta dish but got steak instead!  I would expect the waiter to get me what I oder and let the manger know of the distraction of such employee.  I would not expect any compensation.  I guess I dont carry a feeling of entitlement with me.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#91 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'd kinda like to know what White Knight wants me to do?  I've emailed them...I've contacted the senior vice president...I told the lady who called me specifics about the website not going to a Hawaii link and the phone number not going to persons knoledgeable about Hawaii.  Am I supposed to make followup calls make sure they've updated their training programs?  Sent out a memo?  Fixed their website? 

#92 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

You are comparing apples to oranges.  Your analogy would be more like if a order a pasta dish but got steak instead!  I would expect the waiter to get me what I oder and let the manger know of the distraction of such employee.  I would not expect any compensation.  I guess I dont carry a feeling of entitlement with me.

DING DING DING!  lol.  Why do so many Americans expect something for nothing?  I play a free online game.  One night the servers went down outside of scheduled maintenance and people started demanding free stuff... for a game that is completely free.  I blame our current culture that everyone is entitled to whatever the want because they're American.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#93 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

DING DING DING!  lol.  Why do so many Americans expect something for nothing?  I play a free online game.  One night the servers went down outside of scheduled maintenance and people started demanding free stuff... for a game that is completely free.  I blame our current culture that everyone is entitled to whatever the want because they're American.

RIght on!  and to think it all started about a hot cup of coffe.  MacDonalds anyone??????

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#94 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's not that you expect anything yourself, but that you "expect" the so called professional company to make amends and show good customer service to keep you as a customer.  If not, they lose business, which DTV almost did in this case.  If they keep doing similar things with all potential customers, they won't be in business too much longer.  This is the point I believe that's trying to be made.  Sure, if it were in a restaurant the manager can come over and personally apologize, which to me holds a lot of weight and I wouldn't then feel as though I would need anything free, but in this instance DirecTV can't really do that, so the way that THEY THEMSELVES have established to make up for poor performance is to indeed offer "FREE STUFF".

That's my 2/100ths of a dollar anyway.

Edited by harperhometheater, 24 April 2013 - 05:17 PM.

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#95 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

And to think all of this started just because a poor CSR got the size of the dish wrong.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#96 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

I agree it was D*s fault in all of this.  Poor training and the lack of updated information on their website gives any company a bad smell.  On the other hand, the word "mistake" is in the dictionary for a reason.  I hate that it put you out when you were expecting the upgrade but I don't see any way to compensate for it other than apologizing.

EDIT: upgrade = installation

Edited by goinsleeper, 24 April 2013 - 05:26 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#97 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Folks, some posts have been deleted that were fairly rude and did not contribute to the thread. Please be nice to each other. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#98 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

You're not bigoted or anything. 

I play those same games and I agree people demanding free stuff for downtime is silly.  That is until the downtime becomes excessive.  Also, don't try to snow us, those games aren't free, they just don't have a sybscription model.  Pretty much anyone that plays them has spent as much, if not more money in the games cash shop than they would have if it were subscription base.

But then again...what would I know, I'm just an entitled American.

#99 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

And to think all of this started just because a poor CSR got the size of the dish wrong.

And buy A CSR... 

You mean three different CSRs.

But it really is cute watching you try to rewrite history.

#100 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I agree it was D*s fault in all of this.  Poor training and the lack of updated information on their website gives any company a bad smell.  On the other hand, the word "mistake" is in the dictionary for a reason.  I hate that it put you out when you were expecting the upgrade but I don't see any way to compensate for it other than apologizing.

EDIT: upgrade = installation

I didn't demand compensation, some people are just making it sound like I did to paint me as the villain.  Also, it goes beyond a simple "mistake" when 3 CSRs and the Website are wrong.  That shows systemic problems, not just one guy making an error. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...