Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously need to vent...re: installation cluster*

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

And the story continues...

I was called by the same nice lady that called after I emailed the SVP...she told me that uscheduled does not mean canceled...apparently the CSRs, The account managers, and the supervisors don't know the difference.  She said it is still scheduled for today between 08-12...it's 11:55 and I haven't heard from the tech.

All I can really say is.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

RIght, "unschedule" means that is your work oder is not assign to a tech….yet

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#123 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

RIght, "unschedule" means that is your work oder is not assign to a tech….yet

And by yet, you mean an hour after they were scheduled to arrive.

But a previous question has been answered.

#124 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Work orders are assigned on a "one by one" basis.  meaning that a tech will start with one job, and all of his remaining work would be on an "unscheduled" status until it is assigned to him or another tech.  then the status will changed to "dispatched" once the job he assigned to a tech.  one the tech "sees" the order he changes the status to "acknowledged" and when he is in your house, he will change it again to "on site" and when he's done, it will be changed to "closed"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#125 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

I suggest you read the OTARD (or re-read it), because your info on this thread and another is incorrect. 

I suggest you re read OTARD.. It specifically states you can not be denied installation of satellite dishes by HOA's and so getting permission is a moot point..  So the info is Correct.

Since obviously you didn't read it, I'll post it here for your enjoyment..

The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming.  The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas.  The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

SIG

Edited by satinstallerguy, 27 April 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#126 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Except you must not have read that the TS is in Hawaii and needs a dish larger than one meter, therefore OTARD does not apply.

#127 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Maybe the truck broke down.

#128 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Except you must not have read that the TS is in Hawaii and needs a dish larger than one meter, therefore OTARD does not apply.

You are correct.  Even though both DIRECTV & Dish require dishes >1m, unfortunately OTARD only allows for larger dishes in Alaska.  

There have been petitions to the FCC for a waiver for Hawaii but I can't find any that were granted.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#129 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

You know at this point I'm fully sympathetic to the TS here, who has every right to be beyond frustrated here with what's go on so far. And certainly wouldn't blame him a bit if he just angrily told DIRECTV to chuck it all and forget about the whole thing.

But OTOH how do you figure it? No doubt hundreds if not thousands of Hawaiian customers regularly call DIRECTV for new service in the islands there every year and their dishes and rest of their system go in without a hitch from the CS to the technician.

So what continues to happen in this case?

Just bad karma or something (not that I'm a Hindu)? Really makes no sense.  :confused:

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#130 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

I realize the OP is in Hawaii , but I was referring to the rule that applies to the rest of the country......   Refuting the claims by Conundrum regarding the OTARD rules about requiring permission from a HOA, not if the rule applies in Hawaii.     However, I'm sure they will include Hawaii much like Alaska...  It only makes sense.....

#131 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Currently, dishes greater than 1 meter in Hawaii have no protection from OTARD. Will that ever change? Possibly. The FCC asked for comments in 2010 about changing OTARD for Hawaii.  But they haven't yet. 

So until they do, the HOA is well within their legal rights to approve/dispprove the 1.2 meter dish.

But it is a moot point for the TS. He apparently has the HOA's permission. He just can't get DirecTV to do the install.

BTW -- here is a background paragraph from the FCC on a previous ruling regarding dish size in HI:

3. When the rule was originally adopted in 1996, the Commission received comments from atenna installers in Alaska that indicated antennas larger than one meter were necessary to receive DBS service there. Thus, as indicated, the rule applies to satellite antennas of any size in Alaska. Nothing in the record of that proceeding indicated that a similar situation existed in Hawaii, so no size exception was adopted for that state.

Edited by trh, 28 April 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#132 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

It has been a day since the last time the TS posted.  Perhaps he's busy watching DirecTV.  I sure hope so…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#133 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

It has been a day since the last time the TS posted.  Perhaps he's busy watching DirecTV.  I sure hope so…

or maybe he's still waiting for the installation guy to arrive. lol

#134 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

or maybe he's still waiting for the installation guy to arrive. lol

True, but I was looking at the glass half full…

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#135 OFFLINE   Conundrum

Conundrum

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

He arrived (two hours after the end of the window they gave me), it was installed...things were  bit dicey until I figured out he installed a CCK I don't need since my house is wired.  So I took that out of the loop and they can have it back.  I also had to shut down his desire to run the wire through my attic and drill a hole in my ceiling to the room with the TV/LAN hub box.  I made him route it around the outside of the house to the external cable connection box.  These houses were built pre-wired and I wasn't going to bypass that to make his job easier ]:-)

The Genie box and clients seem to still be a bit clunky at times, but some google searches show me it seems to be semi-common, hopefully some firmware updates will fix that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...