Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

noisey

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dobok

dobok

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have a hr22 in my daughters bedroom and I noticed today when I walked in her room that her receiver is making noise. Is this the harddrive doing this and does it mean that it is going bad. If anyone else out there has had problems of this nature how long before it really goes !!!Thanks Dobok

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 20 April 2013 - 01:41 PM.
Moderator Tag Correction

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

There are only two moving parts in the DVR .... hard drive and cooling fan.  Sometimes putting small foam rubber pads under the DVR's feet can help isolate vibration-induced noise. Otherwise, if it's truly annoying, you'll need to replace the DVR. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have a hr22 in my daughters bedroom and I noticed today when I walked in her room that her receiver is making noise. Is this the harddrive doing this and does it mean that it is going bad. If anyone else out there has had problems of this nature how long before it really goes !!!Thanks Dobok

Dump the 22 and get a 24 and you'll have no sound issues.  

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Rich

That would be a good idea if there was an "easy" way to get it done. We know that DirecTV does not guarantees receiver model numbers

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Rich

I can't imagine a more misleading or less helpful statement. That implies that it is particular models that have noise issues, when as has been pointed out, all models have the two things that can get noisy, which are the HDD and the cooling fan, and there is no correlation between either of those and model numbers, at least certainly not strict correlation.

I have seen this complaint regarding probably every model available, including the HR20 and the HR21, of which I have had 8 different versions of with absolutely never a noise problem.

The only conclusion to be drawn is that if a model develops noise, that it is likely that the HDD or the fan is on borrowed time, and there really is only one way to solve that problem, short of adding an external drive (which will neither solve the noise problem nor determine the cause).

Call it in, get it replaced. Try to watch what you can and not record if possible; move what you can to a 16x9 DVDR if you like. Move on.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

I can't imagine a more misleading or less helpful statement. That implies that it is particular models that have noise issues, when as has been pointed out, all models have the two things that can get noisy, which are the HDD and the cooling fan, and there is no correlation between either of those and model numbers, at least certainly not strict correlation.

I have seen this complaint regarding probably every model available, including the HR20 and the HR21, of which I have had 8 different

Right on!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

I have seen this complaint regarding probably every model available, including the HR20 and the HR21, of which I have had 8 different versions of with absolutely never a noise problem.

The only conclusion to be drawn is that if a model develops noise, that it is likely that the HDD or the fan is on borrowed time, and there really is only one way to solve that problem, short of adding an external drive (which will neither solve the noise problem nor determine the cause).

Call it in, get it replaced. Try to watch what you can and not record if possible; move what you can to a 16x9 DVDR if you like. Move on.

Just what I said.  It just took you longer to get to the point.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,349 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

OT: why and who tagged the thread with "L740"  tag? After clicking on the tag it directing to dish SW thread about L740 version. Duh !

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, what made you infer that I meant that? 

spam firewall