Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I have 17 tuners?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdwannabee

hdwannabee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I currently have 6 HD DVRs (12 tuners) and 1 HD receiver.  I am interested in getting the Genie to replace my 1 HD receiver.  Will this be too many tuners as the 5 from the Genie will put me up to 17?  Can a setup have more than 16 tuners?

I know I could also replace an HD DVR with an RVU unit, but I would hate to get rid of an HD DVR, since I had to pay for it to get it in the first place.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

look here: http://www.dbstalk.c...im-isnt-enough/

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

As an alternative, you could set one HD DVR to use a single tuner.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Or you could run one tuner out of the legacy port of the SWM and just not have it involved in whole home.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I currently have 6 HD DVRs (12 tuners) and 1 HD receiver.  I am interested in getting the Genie to replace my 1 HD receiver.  Will this be too many tuners as the 5 from the Genie will put me up to 17?  Can a setup have more than 16 tuners?

I know I could also replace an HD DVR with an RVU unit, but I would hate to get rid of an HD DVR, since I had to pay for it to get it in the first place.

I have 24 tuners, no Genies, and have room for more.  Get D* to install a couple SWM16s and you won't have to give up anything.

Rich 

#6 OFFLINE   hdwannabee

hdwannabee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for all of the good info.  Good to know it is possible. Now my difficulty may be physically getting it done.  My current setup has the 4 cables from the dish coming down to the SWM16 mounted to an exterior wall.  From the SWM16, the 2 coaxial cables (Prewired in house) go from the exterior of the house to the wiring cabinet.

Installing another SWM would require more cables from the exterior of my house to the wiring cabinet, which I (or an installer?) may not be able to do.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for all of the good info.  Good to know it is possible. Now my difficulty may be physically getting it done.  My current setup has the 4 cables from the dish coming down to the SWM16 mounted to an exterior wall.  From the SWM16, the 2 coaxial cables (Prewired in house) go from the exterior of the house to the wiring cabinet.

Installing another SWM would require more cables from the exterior of my house to the wiring cabinet, which I (or an installer?) may not be able to do.

Give it a try, a good installer will find a way to install the cables.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   hdwannabee

hdwannabee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks! I will give it a try. But I may wait until the HR44s are available in the Houton area.

#9 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Since you are replacing 1 tuner with 5 tuners you will now have 16 tuners not 17.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

There are several ways this could be done. Post #2 links to an off-site article talking all about it. You have plenty of options here.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Since you are replacing 1 tuner with 5 tuners you will now have 16 tuners not 17.

He has 13 now, keeping 12 of them and adding back 5. So 17. At the end, he'll gain 4.

#12 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Whether the total is 16 or 17, doesn't matter.

You are forgetting multiples of the max of 8 channels per SWiM Cloud.

Genie takes 5 channels and thus one can only put 1 additional Dual Tuner DVR on an 8 SWiM Cloud with the 1 additional SWiM channel the current HD Non-DVR is on, which then becomes "unoccupied" unless you want to only use 1 tuner on a DVR, as noted above.

Other 8 SWiM Cloud could only take 4 Dual Channel DVRs.

Above, that, a SWiM32 or an additional SWiM is needed, also, as noted above.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 19 April 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:51 AM

Multiple SWM16s are the right solution, not a SWM32.

#14 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

16 tuners.... wow, and all im looking for is a working unit and a remote or web to record all my damn set shows as they lost each time a unit is replaced..... is that asking too much, apparently it is....

But 16 tuners, wow that would be sweet no doubt, good luck with that setup.

Edited by Datagg, 20 April 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

16 tuners.... wow, and all im looking for is a working unit and a remote or web to record all my damn set shows as they lost each time a unit is replaced..... is that asking too much, apparently it is....

But 16 tuners, wow that would be sweet no doubt, good luck with that setup.

Give it some time, the DVRs seem to "breed"... :)

Rich

• Datagg likes this

#16 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Multiple SWM16s are the right solution, not a SWM32.

Considering Multiple SWiM16s would need the 7 splitters/diplexers to make all units available on the cloud as opposed to 5 on the SWiM32 (not to mention 2 clunky PSUs for 2 SWiM16s v 1 smaller PSU for the SWiM32), its rather hard to make a blanket statement that the SWiM 16 is the correct solution and the other is not.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 23 April 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Considering Multiple SWiM16s would need the 7 splitters/diplexers to make all units available on the cloud as opposed to 5 on the SWiM32 (not to mention 2 clunky PSUs for 2 SWiM16s v 1 smaller PSU for the SWiM32), its rather hard to make a blanket statement that the SWiM 16 is the correct solution and the other is not.

There can be pros and cons for both, "but generally" twin SWiM-16s might make more sense.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

I would think regardless of anything else, the fact a SWM-32 will cost you around 4x more than two SWM-16s would be the deciding factor (since Directv does not supply SWM-32 for residential use)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   hdwannabee

hdwannabee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Well, I finally pulled the trigger.  HR-44 was installed today!  And yes, I now have 17 working tuners!

The Multiband technician was probably one of the best I have ever had in my house.  When he got here with the Genie, I told him that it would put me up to 17 tuners.

After looking troubled for a minute and going through my setup, he told me that he could trade out one of the DVRs for a mini-Genie, or he could disable one of the tuners on one of the DVRs.  He said that I would need a SWM-32 and Directv was not supplying those.  I asked him about cascading SWM-16s, and he said that the only problem would be that I wouldn't be able to share playlists across the 2 SWM modules.  I said that I would rather do that than trade in a DVR or disable a tuner.  I thought it would be better to install the additional SWM-16 and coax now, because if I wanted to, I could always go back myself and disable a tuner and put everything back on the one SWM-16. 

He had to call the office and get approval.  He did this, and installed the additional SWM-16, ran wires through my attic to my distribution panel, and I am now good to go.  Had some minor problems along the way, but nothing that wasn't resolved quickly.  Biggest problem was that the one DVR on the new SWM-16 wasn't getting satelite signal at first.  Then he realized that he needed to run power to the new SWM.

So far, I am liking the HR-44.  Only been a couple of hours.  We'll see how the family likes the speed and extra tuners.

One more question for now - Can I share playlists across the 2 SWM-16s?  I have a wired CCK that the installer left connected to the SWM group with my Genie.  If I use the CCK to connect the non-Genie SWM group to my network and the HR-44 to connect the Genie SWM group to my network, will they see each other and be able to share playlists?

Thanks for everyone's help!

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,792 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Yes

spam firewall