Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Miss the News Mix Channel

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

With the events happening rather rapidly in the Boston area, it sure would be nice if the News Mix was on so that we could monitor more than one channel at a time. 

• itzme likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

I agree. I rarely used it, but I liked it when I did. Having a plasma, I liked that it also would dim if I just left it on.

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

They all regurgitate what each other spits out when something like this happens. When it's a normal day Fox is lambasting liberals, MSNBC is wondering why conservatives are loony nowadays, CNN is trying to be neutral and coming off as no where close and HLN is honestly like watching a TV version of the Star and Enquirer. 

• eyalas likes this

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

maybe there is hope that it can come back in HD only.

MLBEI mix has gone HD only.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

They all regurgitate what each other spits out when something like this happens. When it's a normal day Fox is lambasting liberals, MSNBC is wondering why conservatives are loony nowadays, CNN is trying to be neutral and coming off as no where close and HLN is honestly like watching a TV version of the Star and Enquirer. 

It isn't needed on "normal" days but when an important event was going on it was a good place to keep up.

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

It isn't needed on "normal" days but when an important event was going on it was a good place to keep up.

Like I said though they all say the same as each other when an event like that happens so what would be the point of seeing it on multiple channels if it's all the same?

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

The News Mix channel would have been very useful, considering this week's events.

Though, I did not see a use for everyday events, a channel which would be a matrix of local station, in an affected area, be it a natural disaster 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing would have been very useful. For example, with NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, FOX, FOX News, MSNBC, et. al. speculating, the Boston stations were closer to the action and getting the news. It was their NBC affiliate last night which was the most on top of things. Another example, Hurricane Ike, In Houston, having the feeds of the stations in a matrix was useful. Fortunately, KTRK had their feed on the internet. And of course, 9/11, I had distant networks then and having the New York stations was very useful over the national news outlets.

The technology exists for major news events. But, NAB, the FCC and Congress makes this kind of arrangement next to impossible. So much for the airwaves serving the public interest.

Finally, last night, the above mentioned networks all looked like a second guessing contest. The only people who knew what they were doing, newscast wise, were the local Boston area TV stations.

#8 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

The News Mix channel would have been very useful, considering this week's events.

Though, I did not see a use for everyday events, a channel which would be a matrix of local station, in an affected area, be it a natural disaster 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombing would have been very useful. For example, with NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, FOX, FOX News, MSNBC, et. al. speculating, the Boston stations were closer to the action and getting the news. It was their NBC affiliate last night which was the most on top of things. Another example, Hurricane Ike, In Houston, having the feeds of the stations in a matrix was useful. Fortunately, KTRK had their feed on the internet. And of course, 9/11, I had distant networks then and having the New York stations was very useful over the national news outlets.

The technology exists for major news events. But, NAB, the FCC and Congress makes this kind of arrangement next to impossible. So much for the airwaves serving the public interest.

Finally, last night, the above mentioned networks all looked like a second guessing contest. The only people who knew what they were doing, newscast wise, were the local Boston area TV stations.

A news mix channel for something like this would have been nice. I think it would be a good addition for DirecTV to add a mix channel of the local new channels whenever something like this occurs. Obviously local channels get things right more so than the national channels faster.

#9 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

A news mix channel for something like this would have been nice. I think it would be a good addition for DirecTV to add a mix channel of the local new channels whenever something like this occurs. Obviously local channels get things right more so than the national channels faster.

I was actually able to watch a lot of local coverage from Boston using the Sports Pack. NESN was simulcasting WBZ-TV and CSN New England was simulcasting New England Cable News.

#10 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

I was actually able to watch a lot of local coverage from Boston using the Sports Pack. NESN was simulcasting WBZ-TV and CSN New England was simulcasting New England Cable News.

I never even thought of checking those channels.

#11 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

Apparent, DBSTalk now takes phrases and creates links to advertising sites. The link, in my post above, was not entered by me; it was generated.

It is bad enough to be hit with advertising from all directions, but to change people's posts goes a bit too far.

By the way, the link goes to an E-Bay site that sells t-shirts; somebody making a profit off a tragedy; even more disgraceful.

To the moderators and DBStalk, please turn off this "feature"

#12 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Apparent, DBSTalk now takes phrases and creates links to advertising sites. The link, in my post above, was not entered by me; it was generated.

It is bad enough to be hit with advertising from all directions, but to change people's posts goes a bit too far.

By the way, the link goes to an E-Bay site that sells t-shirts; somebody making a profit off a tragedy; even more disgraceful.

To the moderators and DBStalk, please turn off this "feature"

I don't see a link but that might be because I'm running ad blocker on Chrome. Either way though yea. That's not cool at all. 

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't see a link but that might be because I'm running ad blocker on Chrome. Either way though yea. That's not cool at all. 

The site generates income from advertising and memberships, without those there is no DBSTalk.  Ads are removed if you are a DBSTalk.com member, join HERE.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#14 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

If its SD its dead to me.

#15 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

The site generates income from advertising and memberships, without those there is no DBSTalk.  Ads are removed if you are a DBSTalk.com member, join HERE.

I am a dbstalk member.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am a dbstalk member.

To be more specific ... a "DBSTalk Club" member.

I tried viewing your previous post while logged out (no ads blocked) and did not see any links in your prior text. If you still see links in that message please send a PM so we can help investigate the problem.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

In his post (post #7) the words "Boston Marathon bombing" are a link for me.  If you hover your mouse over the words it says "Link Added by VigLink".  If you click on the link it takes you to an eBay listing for a Boston Marathon bombing remembrance t-shirt.  I'm using IE 9.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,465 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

In his post (post #7) the words "Boston Marathon bombing" are a link for me.  If you hover your mouse over the words it says "Link Added by VigLink".  If you click on the link it takes you to an eBay listing for a Boston Marathon bombing remembrance t-shirt.  I'm using IE 9.

No links in post 7 for me. However, there are two in your post. One for VigLink and the other for eBay.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

No links in post 7 for me. However, there are two in your post. One for VigLink and the other for eBay.

I'm seeing what you are seeing (IE7). I normally use FireFox but keep IE7 around for accessing a couple of sites that require IE (and I don't want to use a compatibility mode).

We had VigLink on the old site ... David has tweaked the settings and DBSTalk club members should now be able to turn it off in their settings. (Or leave it on and help support the site.)

As for the topic of the News Mix ... it seems that some want something that was not routinely offered when there was a news mix. The hurricane channel was (and is) a good idea when stations go wall to wall news for a major predictable event (giving DirecTV enough time to talk to the stations and set up the channel). A spur of the moment local news mix would be interesting ... but not being from Boston I wonder how much of last week's television broadcast was live news.

If DirecTV had a nimble system for contacting stations, getting permissions and building the mix they could have started the channel late Monday night ... but it would have needed to be blacked out outside of the Boston market at any time they were not airing content the stations had national rights to air (either that or black out that station's feed on the mix). There were peak times where I assume all Boston stations with news were news ... but DirecTV would need to be agile to show each feed when they could and drop each feed when they couldn't carry it nationally. It is a lot to ask.

In general DirecTV is in the business of picking up feeds and retransmitting them without editing. A local channel news mix could approach the production level of the Red Zone Channel ... with a dedicated staff making sure no rights were violated. That gets expensive.

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,465 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm seeing what you are seeing (IE7). I normally use FireFox but keep IE7 around for accessing a couple of sites that require IE (and I don't want to use a compatibility mode).

We had VigLink on the old site ... David has tweaked the settings and DBSTalk club members should now be able to turn it off in their settings. (Or leave it on and help support the site.)

Sorry to continue the thread hijack. I was on Firefox when I posted the link info. Yes, I've seen them on the old site as well. Personally, I don't care. They are not intrusive. They are passive. Just passing on info for those who do care.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall