Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Miss the News Mix Channel

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

According to what CNN said, the Boston stations were pretty much running continuous coverage at the beginning,Thursday night and of course all day Friday..Just like New York did after 9/11.

Also, WSBK could have been pulled at; it's a superstations, though I think it is now affiliated with MyTV, after dropping CW. They were simulcasting WBZ, as it is a partially owned by them. By the way, I know DirecTV does not offer KTLA, KWGN, WPIX, WWOR and WSBK as a superstation package, while DISH does (something I do miss since switching, because it was nice getting the newscasts from these cities). But, the signals for these stations are available continental US. This may be an option fro DirectTV, to obtain breaking news in LA, Denver, New York or Boston; WGN, would always cut in if something happened in Chicago.

Thank you for looking into the links issue; it is greatly appreciated.

I'm seeing what you are seeing (IE7). I normally use FireFox but keep IE7 around for accessing a couple of sites that require IE (and I don't want to use a compatibility mode).

We had VigLink on the old site ... David has tweaked the settings and DBSTalk club members should now be able to turn it off in their settings. (Or leave it on and help support the site.)

As for the topic of the News Mix ... it seems that some want something that was not routinely offered when there was a news mix. The hurricane channel was (and is) a good idea when stations go wall to wall news for a major predictable event (giving DirecTV enough time to talk to the stations and set up the channel). A spur of the moment local news mix would be interesting ... but not being from Boston I wonder how much of last week's television broadcast was live news.

If DirecTV had a nimble system for contacting stations, getting permissions and building the mix they could have started the channel late Monday night ... but it would have needed to be blacked out outside of the Boston market at any time they were not airing content the stations had national rights to air (either that or black out that station's feed on the mix). There were peak times where I assume all Boston stations with news were news ... but DirecTV would need to be agile to show each feed when they could and drop each feed when they couldn't carry it nationally. It is a lot to ask.

In general DirecTV is in the business of picking up feeds and retransmitting them without editing. A local channel news mix could approach the production level of the Red Zone Channel ... with a dedicated staff making sure no rights were violated. That gets expensive.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

WSBK wasn't running news 24/7, they were clearing the CBS programming pre-empted by WBZ.

#23 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

According to what CNN said, the Boston stations were pretty much running continuous coverage at the beginning,Thursday night and of course all day Friday..Just like New York did after 9/11.

Also, WSBK could have been pulled at; it's a superstations, though I think it is now affiliated with MyTV, after dropping CW. They were simulcasting WBZ, as it is a partially owned by them. By the way, I know DirecTV does not offer KTLA, KWGN, WPIX, WWOR and WSBK as a superstation package, while DISH does (something I do miss since switching, because it was nice getting the newscasts from these cities). But, the signals for these stations are available continental US. This may be an option fro DirectTV, to obtain breaking news in LA, Denver, New York or Boston; WGN, would always cut in if something happened in Chicago.

Thank you for looking into the links issue; it is greatly appreciated.

WSBK never ran the CW.  It had UPN but did not get the CW when the WB and UPN mergert happened.   It is not partailly owned by WBZ---they are both wholly owned by CBS.    It did nto have 24/7 news coverage either----though it did have quite a bit.

I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#24 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

How did you like Newsmix during the Tornado outbreaks over the past 2 weeks, trying to find the best coverage - especially Friday night when good quality pictures were hard to come by?

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 01 June 2013 - 01:00 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

I take it you didn't turn on The Weather Channel who was dipping into live coverage from local stations in OKC and St Louis? Or even CNN who, instead of showing their usual overnight encores, is having continuing live coverage with CNN International's anchors?

Edited by KyL416, 01 June 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I take it you didn't turn on The Weather Channel who was dipping into live coverage from local stations in OKC and St Louis? Or even CNN who, instead of showing their usual overnight encores, is having continuing live coverage with CNN International's anchors?

I saw plenty of it. TWC only went to local stations sporadically. CNN had essentially one video from a storm chaser getting hit by a tumbleweed and then his windshield breaking which they looped and looped and looped. Who cares about the overnight CNN info? They knew and reported nothing at 5am they did not know at 12 Midnight. In fact they did not have any new video overnight.

Again, this is where NewsMix shined.

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

I saw plenty of it. TWC only went to local stations sporadically. CNN had essentially one video from a storm chaser getting hit by a tumbleweed and then his windshield breaking which they looped and looped and looped. Who cares about the overnight CNN info? They knew and reported nothing at 5am they did not know at 12 Midnight. In fact they did not have any new video overnight.

Again, this is where NewsMix shined.

How? It showed the same channels you are complaining about.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

I do not understand what the news mix channel would have added.  If you live in an area that is having the storms, then your local channels are the best source for up-to-the minute coverage of the situation.  If you are not in the path of the storm, then I do not understand your facination with needing to have good quality pictures on Friday night.  Unless you wre in the path of the storm, in which case you should have been taking cover, what were you looking for on the news that could not switch from channel to channel or wait until morning?

I understand the facination with sports mixes, where each channel is covering a different live event, but I do not understand the need to see which news outlet has the best coverage of the same tragic event.  The local channels provide the best information for those who are in the path of the storm and must take action.  Everything else just seems like voyeurism to me.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...