Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rebranding Nomad to GenieGO

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Theoretically, it is the same as the Nomad--they are just renaming it (like they did renaming the advanced whole home hddvr to the Genie) with some new added features. So Im gonna take a whim and say you should be able to stream your market rsns like you currently can on the Nomad-- just not out of market ones as far as sports go. Probably some agreement with the sports carriers or whatnot.

Edited by Volatility, 22 April 2013 - 07:49 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I can stream my RSNs. And NHL Network and NBCSN. It is my out-of-market games that I pay for with NHLCI that it won't.  And according to Ellen's office, they have submitted a change to the Nomad page and owner's manual to list out-of-market games as something you can't watch with the nomad.  From my nomad PC client:

Attached Thumbnails

• SUN RSN.PNG

Edited by trh, 22 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Sports weren't even mentioned.  The only listings that weren't allowed were PPV titles and On Demand content. I'll see if anything is being changed for sports, though I would expect the same results as what you're getting from the Nomad. 

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#24 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

And OTA (and I think 3D).

#25 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

And OTA (and I think 3D).

3D as well.  Thanks for the mention.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#26 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

The following is a full list of content not available on the Nomad at this present time:

1. Movie rentals - PPV, Cinema, and for pay CINEMAplus titles
  2. Adult channels - Subscription & PPV
  3. Interactive channels (ex: DIRECTV Active)
  4. Any expired titles (ex: Expired PPV or DirecTV Cinema)
  5. Local OTA Content
  6. Out Of Market Sports May Not Be Available

Edited by Volatility, 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM.

• trh likes this

#27 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

DTV better start giving GenieGo away for free, that is what Dish does with it slingbox.  I changed my service from DTV to Dish, and I love the Hopper, it is about two years ahead of DTV. 

#28 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

The following is a full list of content not available on the Nomad at this present time:

1. Movie rentals - PPV, Cinema, and for pay CINEMAplus titles
  2. Adult channels - Subscription & PPV
  3. Interactive channels (ex: DIRECTV Active)
  4. Any expired titles (ex: Expired PPV or DirecTV Cinema)
  5. Local OTA Content

Thanks for that list. You didn't list out-of-market sports events. And what about VOD?

#29 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for that list. You didn't list out-of-market sports events. And what about VOD?

The VOD is with the CinemaTitles.

And sorry for leaving that part out will add that. I would like to point out my initial list came from D* and nothing was mentioned about out of market sports, but if a rep that replied when you contacted Ellen VP of Customer Care told you that, they usually have the most up to date info so I am running with that.   

Edit: Done :)

Edited by Volatility, 23 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

DTV better start giving GenieGo away for free, that is what Dish does with it slingbox.  I changed my service from DTV to Dish, and I love the Hopper, it is about two years ahead of DTV. 

Hmmm, this is a topic up for debate.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

^^^^^
That's really a matter of opinion. The Genie definitely is NOT 2 yrs behind though nor vice versa; ceteris paribus. The Genie allows recordings of 5 shows simultaneously which the Hopper is limited to 2 or 3 tuners for PrimeTime only (6 total) with the rest being free. Have you even tried the Genie out in your home? You may have a paradigm shift on your opinion if you do.

Edited by Volatility, 23 April 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

I mentioned earlier that it was said, "The GenieGO will be offered free with the new Protection Plan upgrade option.".  Other than that, the price is expected to stay the same with the option of $99 for new customers.  I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing more offers for the GenieGO when the out-of-home streaming becomes available.

Edited by goinsleeper, 23 April 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...