Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hopper not connecting to broadband, joey will.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   elmc

elmc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts
  • Locationmi

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

We upgraded to the hopper earlier this week. The day the tech was here was the only day the hopper would connect to our internet connection.

I've tried disconnecting our router and connecting directly to the modem and it still won't connect.
The bottom Ethernet connection is ghosted out sometimes, sometimes it's there.
It will show packets being transfered even though it says failed connection.

We have no other problems with any devices connecting to the internet. We had no problems with our 922.

If I run a Ethernet line to the room where a joey is, that individual joey will connect just fine.

What is going on here? Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I hope that you're problem is solved by now but in case it isn't:

1. The H/J system has a third component, HIC (Hopper Internet Connecter) that is supposed to be part of the install. The problem is that the system will work without the HIC so it's often left out. I personally had one put in after converting even though my 2H/2J (now 1 J) worked fine. Your install is guaranteed for (I think) 30 days. If I were you I'd get Dish back onsite to fix your problem and would ask for a HIC.

2. If you aren't using a HIC, your Hopper that is wired to your router should have bridging enabled. The bridge connects the NIC on the ethernet side with another internal NIC on the MOCA side of the Hopper. This is not enabled in the default setup. To check this go to the settings-network-moca screen and double press the blue button on the remote. The "Bridging" button should appear and you can enable it. That should connect the Joey via the MOCA. The second NIC in the Hopper on the MOCA side is the reason that many systems will work OK without a HIC but that Hopper now has the extra burden of being the client for the MOCA network. IMO it's better to have a HIC to do that job.

2H/1J

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

The HIC is only used when you are not able to connect your broadband to your Hopper.  Otherwise, it is not needed.  Please unplug the Hopper from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot.  Please let me know if you continue to have issues with the broadband connection.  Thanks.

We upgraded to the hopper earlier this week. The day the tech was here was the only day the hopper would connect to our internet connection.

I've tried disconnecting our router and connecting directly to the modem and it still won't connect.
The bottom Ethernet connection is ghosted out sometimes, sometimes it's there.
It will show packets being transfered even though it says failed connection.

We have no other problems with any devices connecting to the internet. We had no problems with our 922.

If I run a Ethernet line to the room where a joey is, that individual joey will connect just fine.

What is going on here? Any suggestions?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...