Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thank Grimm its...Tuesday

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Just doesn't have the same ring to it, but Grimm is moving to Tuesdays.

http://tvbythenumber...chedule/178837/

Also wondering when tonight's episode will air.

Answer: Next Friday at 9.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I don't know why NBC thinks playing Where's Waldo? with their schedule is a good idea. They are moving it to the first Tuesday of Nielsen May Sweeps. Oh well, I guess it means it may be renewed for next year.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

I certainly hope so. One of our favorites, and really the only scripted show we watch on NBC.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm kinda glad.  I don't really record anything on Tuesday nights while Friday has been full of cable shows.  It'll be nice to have something new to watch on a Wednesday after getting home from work.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

My guess would be that this is a good thing for Grimm, since Friday is often death valley where underperforming programs go to die.

Still, not a good idea to keep moving it; I think this is the 4th location in 2 seasons. There has to be a tipping point for that, and folks are creatures of habit (IOW I know folks who like to watch this on Fridays but upsetting that routine might mean they don't continue to watch at all).

There may be some synergy with the America's Got Talent audience, which if history is any guide will play on most Tuesdays starting pretty quick, and it does well so it might give Grimm reruns this summer some halo effect.

Edited by TomCat, 20 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Tuesdays tend to be a little slow for me, tv-wise. Therefore this might work for me....

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

OK, now I'm confused (and the Boston reshuffle just confused me even more). Has the "Ring Of Fire" episode aired yet? I feel like I might have missed it.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

No. It was pre-empted by coverage of the capture of the Boston Bombing terrorist.

Ring of Fire will be the final Friday episode on 4/26.

The final four episodes will begin airing on Tuesday 4/30.

http://epguides.com/Grimm/

Edited by renbutler, 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

No. It was pre-empted by coverage of the capture of the Boston Bombing terrorist.

My guide shows no Grimm until Tues 4/30. It shows ep 44 "endangered". Hopefully they show ep 43. "Ring of fire" instead. Will have to see if the info changes as it gets closer, but as of now no episode this Friday.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Things can change in the guide up to the last minute. The producers have confirmed the air date.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

My DVR didn't catch the 4/26. Had to select it manually to add to my Series

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

My DVR didn't catch the 4/26. Had to select it manually to add to my Series

Same here, the original airing date data made the dvr act like it is a rerun.

#13 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

My dish network guide now shows this fridays episode #43 . It also shows it as a new episode. Hopefully everyone's system catches it.

Thanks.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the headsup. I'll manually check mine.

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,896 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Grimm gets 3rd season.

http://www.thefutonc.../20130426nbc03/

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#16 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

It deserves it. I really enjoy this show, much more then Revolution.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I really do love this series, and it is one of those shows that I can't figure out quite exactly why I like it so much. The cast could not be better; the "Monroe" character might be the most entertaining character currently on TV, and I like Monroe's girlfriend. Somehow that they are together makes me happy. But I have no idea why.

I think the writing is pretty good also, but I think they will have to expand further than they have above monster of the week, to keep relevant into later seasons. I know they are attempting that with the over-arching conspiracy angle, but X-Files proved that it is hard to do that well and not be boring, and so far the conspiracy here seems pretty lame.

One element I would not have thought would be that compelling is the art direction/set decoration. For whatever reason, the lighting or whatever seems to give this show a certain mood of creepyness that adds to my enjoyment. Juliet's craftsman-style home is great; the show just would not seem the same if everyone lived in a ranch-style or split-level. What is intriguing to me is that I have no clue why that all seems to work so well together.

I do have one bone to pick, which is that the transformations seem ill-timed, as if they were there to serve the plot manipulation or maybe someone goes through a brief transformation just to keep the audience on track as to what that person really is. But we get it; they don't need to be so opportunistic regarding the timing of that, and they don't need to hit us over the head continually with it. Then it becomes predictable and boring and loses any shock effect.

If I were running this show, I would have only allowed extremely brief glances, like out of the corner of someone's eye or as a brief reflection in a mirror to reveal the transformations rather than in-your-face full-on 15-second shots of that. This is not a new and clever technique; Hitchcock used it to great effect showing the blood going down the shower drain in Pyscho, and Ridley Scott schooled everyone on exactly how to do this in Alien, by never showing a full shot of the monster until deep into the movie. Less is more.

(Apologies; the new forum format is buggy, and seems to currently not want to conform to a standard font size regardless of how I try to tame it with the controls.)

Edited by TomCat, 27 April 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,901 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

And their house is based on a real one:

http://www.mysouthwa...about-nick.html

#19 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

And their house is based on a real one:

http://www.mysouthwa...about-nick.html

Very cool. Thanks for that.

Hmmm. Maybe a little more Victorian or Queen Anne than Craftsman, at least from the outside.

Two shows with really great Craftsman-style houses were Gary (the wife's) and Numb3rs (the father's). Rob, too, I think. Probably won't see that on Justified.

Edited by TomCat, 27 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I were't they suppose to show Ring Of Fire yesterday?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...