Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with the Dish

Picture freezing on TV 6 Days without any service

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEast Boston, Ma

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

I switched from Direct TV to Dish about a month ago.  Then all of a sudden this past Friday night my TV image began freezing. Then it would lose it signal and reboot. Then the picture would re-appear for about 3 minutes then the same issue will occurr over and over again. It seems like the Anolog box (*HD Ready) appears to be shutting off and rebooting on its own.

So the tech came to my home and basically said the Dish and the box is fine and replaced a couple of fitters on the outside.  Of coure the issue did not act up when he was here.  But after he left, about 2 hours down the road, the same issues occurred.  So now I got another appointment visit on Sunday morning from this third party company.  This time, I will not sign anything he gives me to sign to close out this issue until the Dish runs normal for a week with no problems. 

Has anyone got an opinion out there, and has anyone experienced such issues??? 

Thanks! 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Tell us a little more about your system.  What satellite dish do you have, what model receiver and how many?

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I switched from Direct TV to Dish about a month ago.  Then all of a sudden this past Friday night my TV image began freezing. Then it would lose it signal and reboot. Then the picture would re-appear for about 3 minutes then the same issue will occurr over and over again. It seems like the Anolog box (*HD Ready) appears to be shutting off and rebooting on its own.

So the tech came to my home and basically said the Dish and the box is fine and replaced a couple of fitters on the outside.  Of coure the issue did not act up when he was here.  But after he left, about 2 hours down the road, the same issues occurred.  So now I got another appointment visit on Sunday morning from this third party company.  This time, I will not sign anything he gives me to sign to close out this issue until the Dish runs normal for a week with no problems. 

Has anyone got an opinion out there, and has anyone experienced such issues??? 

Thanks! 

Please PM me your account number so I can review the notes the last technician left on your account.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. 

My cable has remained out since Thursday, April 18 after 2 visits from a third party contractor.  On Mondy, April 22, they plan on making a third visit late in the afternoon.

My account number per your request is: REMOVED. My name is. 

Also, I was a recent subscriber of Direct TV for 13 years.  When Dish did the installation process, they did not run their own cable wire.  They used the Direct TV wire. 

Also, during Sunday morning, the guy provided me with a new HD cable box, (the same one as before). After he left, about an hour later, the tv screen froze again and the system began its rebooting process. 

Also, on Sunday night when I was sitting in my living room, I seen the cable box go off and on automatically after I turned it off hours before. 

Here's my opinion:  I believe something shotted out or water may have gotten in to the old cable wire they did not replace.  The other thing it could be is that the codes to the cable box are not properly updating??? I've been a subscribe with Dish for about a month, and this problem I stated above, just began happening 4 days ago all of a sudden.  

The tech tested the actual dish and said my signal is really good as well. 

So this is the story as of right noiw. If this isn't fixed today, I will have to demand Dish to get their own tech out here to fix this problem or I will have to freeze payments since I have been without service for over 4 days now.  I got no problem paying the bill if I was being provided with service. 

I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner.  Thanks in advance for your time on this matter.  Please get back to me.... 

Domenic (Donnie) Bernabei 

Edited by DonnieBoston, 22 April 2013 - 12:08 PM.

• James Long likes this

#5 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thank you for your account number, suggest you go back in and erase it from the post.

#6 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

UPDATE:  The tech came for a third time Monday afternoon.  This time he replaced everything, which included the eyes on the dish, cable wire from the dish to the TV and another new HD box which is the third one.   He also separated the box to be by itself on a shelf.  Since then, the Dish has been working fine. I had it on for many hours yesterday and for one hour Tuesday morning.  

The other thng that was mentioned is that the HD box I have is really not compatable with the analog dish I have on my house.  So I sked the tech for an analog box, since I do not need HD.  I have an HD antenna on my roof.  He said he needed permission to do that.  I said well if it happens again that I want it, because it is Dish's fault I am running in to these issues.  They offered me the package that I got, and it should work.  If this is a scam for me to upgrade, I will indeed report them! 

Anyways, for now, everything is fine.  I will let you know if I got further issues.  I'm still waiting to hear back from you if you found out any further information for me. 

Thanks. 

Edited by DonnieBoston, 23 April 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#7 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Again Donnie we need more information on your equipment if you need help.  DISH does not have any analog equipment their broadcast from the satellite is all digital just like Directv is all digital.  DISH does offer SD, Standard Definition and HD, High Definition broadcasts but the same satellite dish can receive both.  The 1000.4 and 1000.2 Eastern Arc dishes are probably what you have and will work with all DISH receivers.

#8 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for getting back to me.  The Dish I have is a round dish.  I soon will take a picture of it to show you. When I had Direct TV, they gave me a bigger dish that was HD, tho they gave me an analog box. 

I figured since I gave you my account number, it would provide you with the type of receiver I am using.  I will provide you with that and more info if possible Wednesday morning.  And like I said, Dish is the one offering me the package.  Regardless that I am not using an HD signal, it should still work properly.  It's on their end.   Like I stated in an earlier post, as of yesterday afternoon and this morning, the Dish has been working fine after the work the tech provided. 

Again, thanks for getting back to me.  I will provide you with more info Wednesday morning. It is raining in Boston today, so You will have to wait a while loinger for an image of my dish.  Thanks! 

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

We don't all work for Dish. 

You keep saying analog boxes; do you mean a Standard Definition box? Regardless of what your package is, they very likely gave you an HD box anyway in case you upgrade later. They still output standard definition. And there's no cost difference with the first receiver.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Yes, the box is HD, but the dish is not.  That's all I'm saying.  It may be SD I think.  I will fiind out for you and give you the info on the box on Wednesday.  I appreciate your time on this matter. 

Thanks. 

#11 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Here is some of the info on the equipment I am using per your request: 

Receiver Info:

Model ID: VIP 222k - HD 

Receiver CA ID: Ro1 3028 5888-88

Software Version: L599RPVD-N

Boot Strap Version: 1433RPVD

Receiver Mode: Dual

Location ID: D694037-OBC339DE

PRIMARY REMOTE ADDRESS: 1 IR

Standard Remote Address: 11 UHF pro, Brand A

Update:

The screen froze again last night.  I plugged the box into a different outlet in another room, and the same issue occurred. The receiver is actually on HD mode instead of standard in which I have. I do not have HD.  The box appears to be going off and on when ever it wants and sometimes my remote controls don't even work on them.. It's like they have their own brain. 

So I called Dish Network, and they approved me of getting a different type of receiver.  They also said something about a switch on the outside of the house that I am unaware of.  The third party tech will be coming to my house again today supposedly to give me a different type of box.  The guy asked me if I live near an airport, and I said it's about a mile or 2 away.  Also the guy from Dish told me I got an HD Dish on my house

Please let me know what you think and if you find out anything.  I want to keep Dish because they offer a good package for short money.  But I'm wondering if it's like the old saying goes: "You get what you pay for?" 

Thanks! 

#12 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

My TV screen has begun freezing since Thursday afternoon all of a sudden.  Is anyone out their experiencing this issue.  I have been without service now for 6 days. 

Thanks 

#13 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Here is some of the info on the equipment I am using per your request: 

Receiver Info:

Model ID: VIP 222k - HD 

Receiver CA ID: Ro1 3028 5888-88

Software Version: L599RPVD-N

Boot Strap Version: 1433RPVD

Receiver Mode: Dual

Location ID: D694037-OBC339DE

PRIMARY REMOTE ADDRESS: 1 IR

Standard Remote Address: 11 UHF pro, Brand A

Update:

The screen froze again last night.  I plugged the box into a different outlet in another room, and the same issue occurred. The receiver is actually on HD mode instead of standard in which I have. I do not have HD.  The box appears to be going off and on when ever it wants and sometimes my remote controls don't even work on them.. It's like they have their own brain. 

So I called Dish Network, and they approved me of getting a different type of receiver.  They also said something about a switch on the outside of the house that I am unaware of.  The third party tech will be coming to my house again today supposedly to give me a different type of box.  The guy asked me if I live near an airport, and I said it's about a mile or 2 away.  Also the guy from Dish told me I got an HD Dish on my house

Please let me know what you think and if you find out anything.  I want to keep Dish because they offer a good package for short money.  But I'm wondering if it's like the old saying goes: "You get what you pay for?" 

Thanks! 

Donnie,   Your satellite dish  (the pan shaped) doesn't know SD (standard definition) or HD (High Definition) one  from the other on what you received.  You can have a Dish 500 with a single LNB aimed at 129, or a 1000.2 with the three LNB's aimed at 110.119. 129 and get HD signal.    You keep referring to a "box" that you have. I'm assuming you mean "receiver"  that is coaxed to the TV and satellite dish outside.

I'll ask you this question.  When the "box" (receiver) shuts down,  do you notice the electrical system....such as household lights flicker, etc.?    If so, this is probably your culprit.

Edited by Skeeterman, 24 April 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

No lights flicker.  Never had a problem for 13 years with Direct TV.  So are you saying my receiver isn't compatable with the Dish on the side of my house??? 

#15 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

No lights flicker.  Never had a problem for 13 years with Direct TV.  So are you saying my receiver isn't compatable with the Dish on the side of my house??? 

Any Dish receiver is compatible.  I have a VIP 211K and VIP211 coaxed to a single LNB on a Dish 500 for HD,  Also, these two receivers are coaxed to a 1000.2 satellite dish for SD (110,119).  And a DUO 311  (SD) coaxed to a dual LNB on a Dish 500.

Edited by Skeeterman, 24 April 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Well, thank you for your time.  apparently you have no other ideas what could be the problem  I provided you with all the information I had available.  One more try with a different receiver, and if it still don't work I will say goodbye to Dish.  It really is amazing. 

Thanks again. 

#17 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

Well, thank you for your time.  apparently you have no other ideas what could be the problem  I provided you with all the information I had available.  One more try with a different receiver, and if it still don't work I will say goodbye to Dish.  It really is amazing. 

Thanks again. 

There is one other culprit  the Dish tech needs to look at, and that would be the electrical source.   You may have what is called....ground  spikes.   That would require an additional grounding rod to the satellite dish from any house ground such as a loop setup.

#18 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Please unplug your receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot.  Please let me know if this persists.  Thanks.

My TV screen has begun freezing since Thursday afternoon all of a sudden.  Is anyone out their experiencing this issue.  I have been without service now for 6 days. 

Thanks 

#19 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info.  When he arrives I will tell him what you said.  Remember, this working fine for about a month...then all of a sudden since this past thursday....

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Added something with a high power load? New AC? Freezer? Washer? Dryer?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...