Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with the Dish

Picture freezing on TV 6 Days without any service

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Any Dish receiver is compatible.  I have a VIP 211K and VIP211 coaxed to a single LMB on a Dish 500 for HD,  Also, these two receivers are coaxed to a 1000.2 satellite dish for SD (110,119).  And a DUO 311  (SD) coaxed to a dual LMB on a Dish 500.

It's LNB not LMB

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

It's LNB not LMB

LNB it is.  I must instruct my middle index finger  to like the letter "N"  on the keyboard.  I have no excuse why it dislikes this letter.

• CeeWoo likes this

#23 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Please unplug your receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds to have the receiver reboot.  Please let me know if this persists.  Thanks.

Ray please read his other post about problems with DISH compared to his previous Directv experience

#24 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEast Boston, Ma

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Added something with a high power load? New AC? Freezer? Washer? Dryer?

Nothing

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Do we know what kind of TV is being used?  OR how it is connected to the TV?  Is it possible that the Dish receiver is working fine, but his TV is failing?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#26 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm getting tired of getting blamed that it is something in my home causing the problem.  No it's not my TV.  I had Direct TV for 13 years and there were no technical issues.  The TV is an LED and about 3 years old and cost me a whopping $1,499 at the time. 

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

That doesn't mean it couldn't be the TV.  You seem kind of defensive when asked to provide information is all.

If you want help, you have to give info.  Most of us here aren't Dish employees anyway, so we are helping out of the spirit of generosity...  Outside of the DIRT reps who are Dish employees, the rest of us can only help as much as we are able to understand your specific configuration.

Overheating due to improper airflow around devices and electrical problems in the home are common culprits for the behavior you are describing.  You said signal levels were good, but I'm not sure if you said what they were...  You seem to be the only one having this specific problem, so it almost has to be something specific to you or your home.

I had a $2500 TV that didn't last as long as a $1500 TV, for that matter, so talking about the cost of your TV doesn't make a difference to anything.  TVs can develop problems too... but that does bring up an interesting point.  You say you don't have HD, only SD... and yet you have a 3-year old $1500 TV... how did you manage to spend that much on a recent TV and not get an HDTV?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#28 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

From reading your posts once more,  Dish has replaced the VIP222K for the third time....Correct?     It would be a rare chance that all three (3) 22K's where bad.  And you wrote the tech person replaced the coax cable from the satellite dish to the 222K  receiver and also from the receiver to the TV.  What is the cabling from the 222K to the TV...HDMI or Coax?  

I may be wrong here,  I doubt there are any analog TV's sold today, or in the last three and half years.   Television manufacturers stop making analog unit when they knew the "digital" age" was coming, and ceased transmission on Sept. 8, 2009.    So,  what brand of TV do you own and is it a HDTV?

Here's something you might try.  Do you have another TV? If so, take it outside and connect the VIP222K to it by using a extension cord plugged into a electric outlet other than any 110 outlet in the home.  Also,  connect a coax from the satellite dish on the home direct to the receiver.   Report back on the condition.

#29 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Ok, this will be it.  I got the top tech coming to my house later this morning to try to fix the issue I.m having with Dish Network.  This will be the party's 5th visit.  If my TV screen freezes after he leaves, then Dish Network will be eliminated from my home, period. 

So keep tuned for further updates on this developing situation.  Thanks 

Edited by DonnieBoston, 25 April 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Ok, this will be it.  I got the top tech coming to my house later this morning to try to fix the issue I.m having with Dish Network.  This will be the party's 5th visit.  If my TV screen freezes after he leaves, then Dish Network will be eliminated from my home, period. 

So keep tuned for further updates on this developing situation.  Thanks 

You do know about early termination fees?

#31 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

I'm covered for  the first 60 days from installation. No service, not one cent from me and my credit card company will be contacted if I have further issues after today. 

#32 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Do you live near a Fire Station or a Police Station?  I encountered this once.  Dish would have problems but Direct worked fine.  If this is the case it should have had problems from the beginning. Did you have lightning strike nearby before this happened?

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm covered for  the first 60 days from installation. No service, not one cent from me and my credit card company will be contacted if I have further issues after today. 

I'm coming late to this thread, so excuse me if I get something wrong.

First, what makes you think that you have 60 days 'coverage' to cancel with no ETF?  I'm not saying you don't, but I've never heard of that length of time from either Dish or Direct.  Certainly nothing in the contract nor federal law, possibly something local.

As to your problem.  You indicate you had about a month of service that seemed OK.  I also noted that in another thread you talk about satellite internet.  And working off memory here, there has been some posts in some forums talking about interference between sat internet and sat TV caused by where and how the 2 respective dishes are installed.  Might be worth asking the tech that comes out about that.  I wish I could tell you where I read about it and what solution was found, but I can't.

Good luck.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#34 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

The 222k has no hard drive, which is the component most likely to fail in a Dish receiver.

If you keep having 222k failures, look to dirty power problems (power spikes or surges) causing the failures.

The Dish receivers may have a slightly less robust power supply than the DirecTV receivers and they have detected a hidden problem of which you were unaware.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#35 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Jim for that valid info.  You are one of the very few who didn't blame my home, tv, power source, etc... instead of Dish themselves.   Thanks  lot .  I will soon post an update. 

#36 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

UPDATE: The advanced tech came to my home this morning to install a 322 SD receiver  It replaced my HD receiver, especially since I am not subscribed to receive HD.  He also placed a barrel ground wire in my basement to avert any of these ground spikes that people are telling me about.  He checked everything else and said it was all fine.  Let's see what happens. 

I went back to work and left my tv running. Hopefully, when I go home it will still be operating.  If not, goodbye Dish Network. 

I will post another follow up on the situation Friday morning.  

#37 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

The 222k has no hard drive, which is the component most likely to fail in a Dish receiver.

If you keep having 222k failures, look to dirty power problems (power spikes or surges) causing the failures.

The Dish receivers may have a slightly less robust power supply than the DirecTV receivers and they have detected a hidden problem of which you were unaware.

Dish LNBs require more current than the Legacy DirecTv LNBs.  Since we do not know the length of the cable run we can't tell if this could possibly be the problem.  Also, if the voltage is low at his house that could affect the power output of the receiver to the LNB.  These conditions could have existed before he got Dish but would not have caused a problem with DirecTv.  The low voltage is difficult to detect because everthing else could appear to be fine.

#38 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

The cable length run runs from the top of my 3 story building to the basement up into the first floor tv.  I would say anywhere about 50 feet maybe.  Also, as I stated above, Dish worked fine when I first got it installed for about one month, then all of a sudden these issues began happening now for about a week. 

The advance tech came today and gave me a different receiver and put a ground barrel in my basement in case there are any ground spikes.  Read the postings above to get more info on this.  I appreciate the help from everyone in this room.  I will post here Friday morning with another update. 

Bottom line, Dish LNB's give out a lower output than Direct TV.  If I knew this, I would not have chosen Dish.  But we will see what happens with the latest modifications. 

#39 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

50 feet should not be a problem.

#40 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I would place a bet on the barrel ground wire will cure your problem. But, I like to know the truth here on this if it works. The way to find out after a few days that your TV no longer "passes out" from ground spikes, is to remove the barrel ground wire and if the TV goes into it's old problem, we all here know what caused the TV cut-outs these past few days. Now, you must make some adjustments to your home electrical issues by having a electrician come out and fix your electrical problems.

spam firewall