Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DishNet Users

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I haven't heard much lately from the newly installed DishNet users. Just trying to get a feel for the satisfaction levels. I now have Excede and wondering if it would be worth it to bundle the same servive with Dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

perhaps everything is OK ?

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, that's the thing...  Rarely do people come to forums like ours to post how great everything is... so you should expect to see a lot of problem threads...  I think you can, however, take it as a positive when you see a drop in activity in a given forum, because it likely means people are having less problems.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

There are many complaints from customers that chose DishNet to provide Exede vs dealing directly with Wildblue/Exede.

You can review some of those comments on the Wildblue/Exede forum:

http://wildblueworld...ghlight=dishnet

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#5 OFFLINE   cloudnine

cloudnine

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I haven't heard much lately from the newly installed DishNet users. Just trying to get a feel for the satisfaction levels. I now have Excede and wondering if it would be worth it to bundle the same servive with Dish.

I had DisNet installed on the 13th of this month. A Dish installer came out for the installation. So far, I love it. TV went out due to rain fade the other day and the internet was still chugging along at 6Mb. Very happy with it.

#6 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

One of the main complaints about DishNet vs buying Exede directly from Wildblue/Exede is DishNet customers do not get unlimited and un-metered usage (called Late Night Free Zone) from midnight to 5am.

Instead they get what's called "Bonus" usage, which is limited, from 2am-8am...for example if you have the 10GB plan your DishNet plan allows "Anytime" usage of 10GB's/month and "Bonus" usage of 10GB's that must be used between 2am and 8am and both are metered.

The LNFZ is the selling point and is why many that originally signed with DishNet have cancelled that service and switched to contracting with Wildblue/Exede.

Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#7 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I will second what 4bama said, and add a little more.  I'm a Dish installer and have installed both Exede and Dishnet (rebranded Hughes Gen IV "Jupiter" in the eastern half of the country) systems.  When I'm done I always run speedtests just for my own curiosity.  Dishnet speeds range are typically in the 4-7 Mbps range down, I've had a few actually hit the advertised 10 Mbps.  Every Exede system I've put in has been at least 12 Mbps down, and I've seen as high as 24 Mbps.  Most are in the 14-18 Mbps range.  Granted this is just a speedtest server and as with everything on the internet YMMV, but I thought I'd share my personal experiences.

If I had to go with satellite internet, I would definitely choose Exede.

#8 OFFLINE   thopki2

thopki2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thanks to all for responding. Sounds like I should stay the course with Exede direct.

#9 OFFLINE   DonnieBoston

DonnieBoston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • LocationEast Boston, Ma

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Take a look at my posts under DonnieBoston...   They should appear on the discussions' page.

#10 OFFLINE   cloudnine

cloudnine

• Registered
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

One of the main complaints about DishNet vs buying Exede directly from Wildblue/Exede is DishNet customers do not get unlimited and un-metered usage (called Late Night Free Zone) from midnight to 5am.

Instead they get what's called "Bonus" usage, which is limited, from 2am-8am...for example if you have the 10GB plan your DishNet plan allows "Anytime" usage of 10GB's/month and "Bonus" usage of 10GB's that must be used between 2am and 8am and both are metered.

The LNFZ is the selling point and is why many that originally signed with DishNet have cancelled that service and switched to contracting with Wildblue/Exede.

The Bonus usage is still unlimited. I just had a system installed and the mydish.com page shows bonus usage as unlimited "at this time".

#11 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

That's not what the DishNet site shows:

DISH is able to offer higher monthly data caps to their customers than other satellite Internet providers. Data caps mark
how much data a customer can download each month. These data caps are split in half between Anytime data that can
be used anytime of the day and Bonus data that can only be used between the hours of 2 am and 8 am.

There are 3 data cap options:
Reaching the Data Cap Limit
When a customer reaches 80% of their monthly data cap, DISH will alert them via email. A customer who uses 100%
of their data before the end of the month will have their download speed throttled to approximately 128 kbps until the
month ends. Once the next billing period begins, their download speed will return to normal.
If a customer uses all of their Bonus data, they will begin using their Anytime data during the hours of 2 am-8 am. When
a customer uses all of their Anytime data they will not be able to use their Bonus data any time other than 2 am- 8 am.
Customers can monitor their current usage on www.mydish.com under the “Usage” tab or at www.dish.net.

5 GB Anytime 5 GB 2am-8am Bonus (10GB plan)
10 GB Anytime 10 GB 2am-8am Bonus (20GB plan)
15 GB Anytime 15 GB 2am-8am Bonus (30GB plan)

Prices
10 GB $49.99/mo

20GB $59.99/mo

30GB $79.99/mo

This is on a pdf file here:

http://gwdish.com/DishNET.pdf

#12 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:35 AM

ok so did dish buy out hugesnet?? and I have also heard that dish has sighned contract with exceed to use there satellites?? iv'e also read that the system you get weather it be a hugesnet system or an exceed system is depening on where you live?? I used hugesnet many years ago and it was horrible and there third world customer service was ****!!

#13 OFFLINE   BobCulp

BobCulp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:09 AM

Prices
10 GB $49.99/mo

20GB $59.99/mo

30GB $79.99/mo

I was considering trying the dish net dish tv deal, but I pay about the same for Century Link phone- high speed internet offer. I don't understand the dish ad about saving money or cheaper to bundle?

If I change my mind and go with dish net, does the first PC  hooked up to dish receiver with a cable , (replacing the Actiontec modem) ? Then does the 3 other PC need USB port adaptors? Can visitors log in to my future dishnet acct to access internet to their smart phones, lap tops, Pc's, etc. ? 

#14 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

Most IP services simply connect the source (satellite, cable DSL line) to some type of modem in your house, usually with one output, which goes then to your router for dispersion about the premises - that is how I assume DishNet works, unless they have reinvented the wheel.

Hopefully my remarks will elicit a confirmation form someone knowledgeable of the matter or a scathing rebuke if I'm wrong, either way we confirm the answer.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...