Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 34 + HR44??

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I was wondering if DTV will let me have both? I have an HR34 now and I'm not very happy with it. I also have an HR23 that is about to die and needs replaced. Does anybody else have both?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Only a 'special' few.  Unless you have inside connections they won't allow you to have more than one Genie.  Maybe someday that will change but for now it is likely a no-go.  I say 'likely' because who knows - if you call they may do it - even by accident!

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

I was wondering if DTV will let me have both? I have an HR34 now and I'm not very happy with it. I also have an HR23 that is about to die and needs replaced. Does anybody else have both?

I tried about a month ago and it was still a no go.

But we got to keep asking. Sooner or later someone going to get approved.

Edited by Drucifer, 20 April 2013 - 06:22 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Currently DIRECTV doesn't all more than one Genie per account. That's not likely to change anytime soon.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

So all you guys with HR44's didn't have an HR34 or you got them replaced? Seems kind of unfair to stick all their long time loyal customers with an inferior box and new installs get the latest and greatest:(

• damondlt likes this

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

So all you guys with HR44's didn't have an HR34 or you got them replaced? Seems kind of unfair to stick all their long time loyal customers with an inferior box and new installs get the latest and greatest:(

Every time I see these kind of posts, It begs to ask these questions

1. What is DirecTV supposed to do with the new (not so old ) HR34?

2. Who do think is suppose (deserves) to get these receivers?  (obviulsly not you, but is OK some someone else)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

I don't remember asking for your attitude, I just asked if anybody had both. And yes, now that you mention it, I do think long term customers with expensive packages "deserve" the best that DTV has to offer. Are we supposed to wait until our 34's die to get the new box?

#8 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

I don't remember asking for your attitude, I just asked if anybody had both. And yes, now that you mention it, I do think long term customers with expensive packages "deserve" the best that DTV has to offer. Are we supposed to wait until our 34's die to get the new box?

They are only available in 10 markets now but once it is available to the general public if you want it go to a 3rd party retailer and buy it. "Money talks"  _______! but if you are saying they should just give it to you for free then you should finish the phrase.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:22 AM

Even if dies, they'll replace it with another HR34 because all DVRs are the same.

Edited by Drucifer, 21 April 2013 - 12:22 AM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

They are only available in 10 markets now but once it is available to the general public if you want it go to a 3rd party retailer and buy it. "Money talks"  _______! but if you are saying they should just give it to you for free then you should finish the phrase.

I would be OK with buying one, I bought the HR34, at a discount, but it wasn't free like a lot of people apparently.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Bought or leased your HR34?

#12 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Every time I see these kind of posts, It begs to ask these questions

1. What is DirecTV supposed to do with the new (not so old ) HR34?

Let us almost 20-years customers have a second one!

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Let us almost 20-years customers have a second one!

I have been a D* customer since Oct 1995. Simple arithmetic translates that to almost 18 years. EIGHT days ago  or four days after my 34-700 was installed I had tons of problems. I threatened them to leave them. They even told me if wanted a D* installer or tech to check the Genie I would have to pay $50.00 for the service call. The point is D* does NOT a give a rat's rear if you leave them or NOT. Furthermore do NOT fall for the patronizing BS I see you have been a long time loyal customer. Salt maybe?

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

I would be OK with buying one, I bought the HR34, at a discount, but it wasn't free like a lot of people apparently.

I'm told that even when the HR44 becomes available through 3rd party retailers, DIRECTV's system and CSRs won't activate it if your account already shows a Genie as activated. Even if a CSR mistakenly does it, the part of the account management system for valid activations during its regular housekeeping routines can automatically shut one Genie down after scanning over your account. 

Now I imagine since no system is perfect, you could luckily slip through the cracks and manage to get two Genies permanently activated, but its obviously going to be very rare and probably not worth gambling your money purchasing one through a 3rd party retailer.

It seems that those fortunate few which were part of the original field testing team for the HR44 are the only exceptions to this single Genie per household rule.

P.S. >> I've been a sub. since Sep. of '95 always with the highest package, but no sell on getting two Genies activated when out of curiosity I tested the waters with CS on this issue a few weeks ago.    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

It all depends on the reason why they limit accounts to one Genie. Is it software? Those few people who have more than one can probably comment on whether there are issues/limitations when you have more than one on the same whole home network. One thing I can think of is how clients are apparently limited to be tied to a single Genie, so one client can only watch recordings from one Genie, and recording on the "wrong" Genie can't be viewed by the client. How easily will that limitation be understood by the typical customer? The people who did the early testing who have more than one are not the typical customer and will understand this limitation. That may not be the only problem.

Beyond perhaps simply wanting to get most the bugs worked out in the single Genie case before worrying about multiple Genies, maybe they just didn't have enough HR34s to go around? They may prefer having everyone who wants just one get it instead of letting people on dbstalk.com hog them all! :) If this is the concern, maybe once the HR44 is in wide release and getting cranked out by three manufacturers the restriction will be loosened?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm told that even when the HR44 becomes available through 3rd party retailers, DIRECTV's system and CSRs won't activate it if your account already shows a Genie as activated. Even if a CSR mistakenly does it, the part of the account management system for valid activations during its regular housekeeping routines can automatically shut one Genie down after scanning over your account. 

Now I imagine since no system is perfect, you could luckily slip through the cracks and manage to get two Genies permanently activated, but its obviously going to be very rare and probably not worth gambling your money purchasing one through a 3rd party retailer.

It seems that those fortunate few which were part of the original field testing team for the HR44 are the only exceptions to this single Genie per household rule.

P.S. >> I've been a sub. since Sep. of '95 always with the highest package, but no sell on getting two Genies activated when out of curiosity I tested the waters with CS on this issue a few weeks ago.    

Even if you slip through the cracks and get two activated you'd need to be very careful.  If you call a CSR for something and the see it on your account they're supposed to deactivate one of them.

I'm just sayin'.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

It all depends on the reason why they limit accounts to one Genie. Is it software? Those few people who have more than one can probably comment on whether there are issues/limitations when you have more than one on the same whole home network. One thing I can think of is how clients are apparently limited to be tied to a single Genie, so one client can only watch recordings from one Genie, and recording on the "wrong" Genie can't be viewed by the client. How easily will that limitation be understood by the typical customer? The people who did the early testing who have more than one are not the typical customer and will understand this limitation. That may not be the only problem.

Beyond perhaps simply wanting to get most the bugs worked out in the single Genie case before worrying about multiple Genies, maybe they just didn't have enough HR34s to go around? They may prefer having everyone who wants just one get it instead of letting people on dbstalk.com hog them all! :) If this is the concern, maybe once the HR44 is in wide release and getting cranked out by three manufacturers the restriction will be loosened?

True;

I think even VOS commented on another thread that viewing recordings one a Genie the client is not tied to gave "mixed results."

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

Even Dish is trying to discourage multiple Hoppers.

Maybe once the HR44 really gets out there, and any software issues resolved, DirecTV will revisit it. However, it still would mean a SWM16 needed for only two boxes. May not be something they really want to get into.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Even Dish is trying to discourage multiple Hoppers.

Don't cheat DTV ppl. You just make up it by yourself.

#20 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Even if you slip through the cracks and get two activated you'd need to be very careful.  If you call a CSR for something and the see it on your account they're supposed to deactivate one of them.

I'm just sayin'.

Mike

That would be fine with me, deactivate this pos 34 and come get it!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...