Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Switch from DVR to Duo Receiver - ripoff?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   calbear80

calbear80

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hello -

I currently have DISH w/625 DVR in one room and 311 receiver in the next, both on SD sets. I'm tired of paying monthly $21 ($7 each for DVR, 2nd receiver and 'Protection Plan') so I called DISH to switch to a single DUO receiver for both rooms. 

Though there is a cable in the second room connected to the non-DVR receiver, they say that the change will require a $200 service call. They also want "a one-time only charge" of $50 for a new smart card!

Does this sound reasonable? I'm not a techincal person, but as there is already a DISH cable in the second room it seems that I should be able to use it to connect the TV there to the DUO receiver? Shouldn't I be able to use one of my current smart cards?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

/dig

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Hi...  We would need to know more about your setup to be sure...  There are configurations that might support what you have now, but would require upgrading the dish/lnb on the roof, adding a switch, or re-cabling the home.  I can't say what your specific config might require without knowing more about what you have on the roof or outside to support your current receivers.

Smart cards are tied to specific receivers... so you can't pull one and use on a different receiver... but I am a little confused as to why you would need to buy a new smart card if you are getting a different receiver from Dish that should come with one anyway.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

You can get a 612 HD DVR from Dishdepot.com for $99.00, just hook it up in place of the 311, call dish and add to your acct. No contract, has new smart card, free shipping and you have a HD Dvr.

See if you have one or two cables to you 625 DVR. from dish.

Edited by oljim, 21 April 2013 - 05:57 AM.

This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

You can get a 612 HD DVR from Dishdepot.com for $99.00, just hook it up in place of the 311, call dish and add to your acct. No contract, has new smart card, free shipping and you have a HD Dvr.

See if you have one or two cables to you 625 DVR. from dish.

How does that save money the 311 is $7/mo. and the 612 is $10/mo. and still has the DVR fee?

#5 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hello -

I currently have DISH w/625 DVR in one room and 311 receiver in the next, both on SD sets. I'm tired of paying monthly $21 ($7 each for DVR, 2nd receiver and 'Protection Plan') so I called DISH to switch to a single DUO receiver for both rooms. 

Though there is a cable in the second room connected to the non-DVR receiver, they say that the change will require a $200 service call. They also want "a one-time only charge" of $50 for a new smart card!

Does this sound reasonable? I'm not a techincal person, but as there is already a DISH cable in the second room it seems that I should be able to use it to connect the TV there to the DUO receiver? Shouldn't I be able to use one of my current smart cards?

Thanks,

/dig

calbear80,  You may have read/heard that Ole' Charlie wants to buy  Sprint or whoever for 25.6 billion.  If he gets $200.00 and additional $50.00 from you and 10 million more he can buy who he wants.   Now, back to your questions.   Don't play with D/N. Just log on to ebay and see what's available on Dish Network 311 receivers.   Be sure the seller replies that the 311 is up to date with a Purple smart card and free of any debt.. Plus it isn't a lease unit.  When you get the 311, remove the 625 and replace with 311.  There shouldn't be any other coax cable to add.   Call Dish and have them to remove the 625 from your account and add the 311.  They will need the CAID number and smart card number.    If the 625 is a lease unit, have Dish to send you a shipping carton to return the receiver.   You monthly bill will be $10.00 less.

Edited by Skeeterman, 21 April 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hello -

Thanks,

/dig

calbear80 we do value you as a customer and to get a better idea of the cost and all available options for you, would you PM me w/ the phone number on the account?

#7 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Are you out of contract now?  If they are giving you a new 2 year commitment  then they should supply it for free.

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

It should be possible to run the TV2 output from the 625 to the other TV - it's just a matter of how the coax in the house is wired to determine how difficult it will be.If all cables are in the attic, this is pretty simple to do. Add some diplexers in the right places and maybe cut some cables / add some cable ends and you're done.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...