Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I set up a MoCA connection to Hopper/Joey?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Right now I am using a Wi-Fi connection from my router to the Hopper downstairs.  But I am thinking of using a MoCA setup instead.   Would that be much faster?

Upstairs, there is a  coax cable sitting next to the router and the other end of the coax sitting next to the Joey. They aren't physically connected yet. What interfaces do I need buy to connect them to the router and Joey and which connections?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by mitchflorida, 21 April 2013 - 07:27 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't follow ...

MoCA is a protocol between a client and a server (H & J) only; Internet is TCP/IP between H and a router. Two different instances.

You could run MoCA via your Ethernet cable/network structure ...

Edited by P Smith, 21 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Right now I just have a coaxial cable between the router and Joey.  How do I plug it into the router and into the Joey?  What connectors do I have to  use.  Or would I have to forget about the coax and run new ethernet cable?

Edited by mitchflorida, 21 April 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

seem to me you want connect fuel tube to tire socket, if we come to car's analogy ....

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

btw,

J coax in is accept only MoCA, its Ethernet jack (RJ-45) - MoCA

H connecting to Internet by Ethernet jack (RJ-45) and could use it for Js [MoCA over Ethernet]; its coax - sat signal & MoCA

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Mitch - if you're not having issues with th Hopper's Wifi -  don't sweat it. You should be able to set the Hopper so it will "bridge" from your home network to your Joey network.

If you need ethernet connected to the coax network - there is a HIC - Hopper Internet Connector - that you can use to connect the coax network to the ethernet network of your router. You also have an ethernet port on the Hopper that can used instead of the Wifi if you have ethernet where the Hopper is.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#7 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

The only reason the coaxial cable is there is because DirecTV ran it to connect my internet router to their sat receiver, using a DECA device.

I guess it serves no purpose now, and I will just remove it.   As for running ethernet cable, I guess it isn't worth it because wi-fi is practically as good.

Edited by mitchflorida, 21 April 2013 - 10:38 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...