Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and External eSATA

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebaylus

ebaylus

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hello,

I've been reading alot of the posts, and I'm  a bit confused.... I see some contradictory info, and  want to check.  If I want to add an external HD to my HR34, I LOOSE ACCESS to the recorded shows on the internal HD ??  Is this correct?  So, I would have to reboot the DVR to watch a show on the internal HD??  a 10-15 min process...

tell me it ain't so!!!!

gene

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

You "lose" access to the recordings on the internal drive while booted to the external.  Its not add-on storage like the DISH method, it replaces the internal HDD.

#3 OFFLINE   ebaylus

ebaylus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

can I copy the shows onto the external, so I can watch previously recorded shows, as well as new shows??  It requires a reboot when switching??  I've got over 100 hrs of Bonanza, what is watched daily, but I need to watch the newely recorded showes as well.... do I need to /  can I   - get a bigger internal HD ??

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

You can use either the internal or the external but not both at the same time.   If you OWN the HR34, not lease, then you can get a bigger internal drive but you still can only use either 1 or the other, not both at the same time.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   ebaylus

ebaylus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

OK, so the DVR cannot copy shows to the external HD.  My idea was to clear off some room and have the showes available when I needed them.  The reboot time needed kills the deal.  This should be a "plug in the external HD, and have more space" deal...

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

OK, so the DVR cannot copy shows to the external HD.  My idea was to clear off some room and have the showes available when I needed them.  The reboot time needed kills the deal.  This should be a "plug in the external HD, and have more space" deal...

You are probably 123,527th person who wrote this on the site :D

#7 OFFLINE   ebaylus

ebaylus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

:P   , but tell me I'm / we're wrong!

:)

Thanks for clearing that up, guys!

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

can I copy the shows onto the external, so I can watch previously recorded shows, as well as new shows??  It requires a reboot when switching??  I've got over 100 hrs of Bonanza, what is watched daily, but I need to watch the newely recorded showes as well.... do I need to /  can I   - get a bigger internal HD ??

You could buy whatever seasons you need/want for about $30-$45 per season.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   ebaylus

ebaylus

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

but that's not really the point.  And if I already paid to have them (DTv), then why should I have to 'buy' them again.......

Edited by ebaylus, 21 April 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

because providers want to convert whole system to cinema model: for each particular viewing you must pay for a ticket !

#11 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

You are probably 123,527th person who wrote this on the site :D

Gee, maybe 123,528 will make them see the light.  Nah!

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

but that's not really the point.  And if I already paid to have them (DTv), then why should I have to 'buy' them again.......

Because the shows on your DVR are "rented" you don't own them. If you really want to keep them for the long haul, you really have to buy them.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall