Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help - Replacing HR21 with HR34 Genie

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I currently have an HR21 and HR24 Whole Home (DECA) setup with a Slimline 5 lnb (SWM) dish and a 4-way SWM splitter.  DTV offered me a HR34 upgrade for $99. with a 24 month commitment and said all I had to do is swap the HR24 with the HR34.  No installer required.

Is this correct?  How do I go from 4 tuners to 7 without any changes in my current setup?  What else, if anything do I need to be aware of, since I am on my own?

Thanks for you help.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,902 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Screw them. Swap the HR21 for the Genie.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

You just swap a two tuner box with a 5 tuner box. Your current SWM allows 8 tuners. Any particular reason you want to keep the 21 (like recordings)? Normally I would get rid of it and keep the 24.

If you do swap the 21, get rid of the external DECA on the 21 as well.

#4 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

You just swap a two tuner box with a 5 tuner box. Your current SWM allows 8 tuners. Any particular reason you want to keep the 21 (like recordings)? Normally I would get rid of it and keep the 24.

If you do swap the 21, get rid of the external DECA on the 21 as well.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I will swap out the HR21 and keep the HR24. No brainer there!

Could you elaborate about the DECA.  Won't I need it to include the DECA to keep the HR24 on  Whole Home sharing?  Perhaps I will get good instructions with the new HR34, but I am not counting on it.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I will swap out the HR21 and keep the HR24. No brainer there!

Could you elaborate about the DECA.  Won't I need it to include the DECA to keep the HR24 on  Whole Home sharing?  Perhaps I will get good instructions with the new HR34, but I am not counting on it.

the genie has a built in deca so doesnt need the external unit

I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#6 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

OK...

After further research, I see that the HR34 and the HR24 both have internal DECAs. I guess all I will need to hook up the HR34 is the Power Inserter and the Broadband Adapter. Is that right?

Are there any schematic diagrams available on the forum for hooking up 2 receivers with internal DECAs and a slimeline w/5-LNB (SWM) and a 4-way splitter?

I assume I can record 5 different channels on the HR34 and an additional 2 on the HR24, for a total of 7. I should also expect to see a significant improvement in speed and overall performance of the HR34 over the HR21.

Are there any known issues with the HR34 that I should be aware of?

Thanks again.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

All you need to do to swap the HR21 for the HR34 is remove the coax from the DECA on the HR21, and hook up the 34. So right now you have coax going from wall to DECA to HR21, now it will be going from wall to HR34. Leave the power inserter and your current broadband adapter in their current locations.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Schematics just confuse things with a setup like this, it just complicates matters. It really is a dead simple upgrade.

Yes, you will be able to record 7 things at once, and have 150 total series links instead of 50.

#9 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

All you need to do to swap the HR21 for the HR34 is remove the coax from the DECA on the HR21, and hook up the 34. So right now you have coax going from wall to DECA to HR21, now it will be going from wall to HR34. Leave the power inserter and your current broadband adapter in their current locations.

If one was in a similar situation as the OP (looking to swap HR22 with HR34) but was currently using "unsupported ethernet" for Whole Home Viewing, would a simple swap out still apply? Or does the HR34 not support that?. Also, can I activate the HR34 myself if I buy it from a retailer?

#10 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Yes that will work. Just plug the ethernet from your switch/router directly into your new HR34's ethernet connection.

Edited by harperhometheater, 22 April 2013 - 03:49 AM.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

As long as you have SWM and won't overload on the tuners, you'll be fine. As long as you get it from an authorized reseller, no issue activating. Though if you're going that route, I'd probably wait until they have HR44s. If you're going to pay for one through a reseller, might as well get the latest hardware. No idea when they will be able to sell them though, but I'd think within a few months.

#12 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thank you all! You have been very helpful and it is much appreciated.

I am looking forward to getting the HR34. I hope most of the bugs have been worked out by now.

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Thank you all as well, for the info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...