Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

771 and other strange things....

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi All,

After nearly four years of near perfect operation, my HR22-100 has started to act up. Last Monday I was going back and forth between two channels (CNN and FoxSports Plus AZ) and all of a sudden CNN started blocking up and dropping out with the 771 error code. First thing I did was to check for loose and/or corroded fittings, and indeed the F connectors on the BBC and IRD had all come loose. I also found a barrel connector on one of the outside coax leads was corroded. After tightening the connectors and replacing the corroded barrel and F connectors CNN and the other 99 sat channels came in fine, but now, I am loosing channels on the 103 sat, in that all of the odd numbered transponders are very now (25% or so) while the even transponders are all in the 80-90 area. This is affecting channel 220, which, if I read the map correctly, is on transponder 21 on the 103ca screen.

A self test comes up 'failed', but then as soon as I hit "OK" the channels in question snap right in, at least for a few hours. I also unplugged the IRD and when it tried to restart, it locked up with a yellow screen covered with small squares. I tried again, and this time it did complete the bootup, but the channels in question are still low (odd numbers on 103ca). The dish itself seems to be fine....no loose bolts and it is as steady as a rock. No obstructions on the dish (bird droppings, etc) and the plastic cover on the LNB is fine as well.

I guess I wonder why tightening and replacing corroded parts would fix the 99 sat but screw up the 103 bird....

Dish is a Slimline with 1 LNB and two coax leads. I am in the Phoenix AZ area and we have not any clouds for weeks, let alone any rain. No trees in the way either - a clear LOS.

Ideas? I do note that apparently there is a $50 charge for repairs, which i think is wrong! Neither my cable company or phone company charge for repairs, so I wonder why DTV does?

FYI, I spent 10 years installing big dishes (1.2 meter and bigger) but these were always aimed at one bird and equipped with Norsat LNB's to receive only one channel. When the company folded and laid me off, I got to keep everything except the spectrum anaylizer (I even have 20000 ft or more of RG6!!) so I do have some experience with sat antennas.

Thanks for any help! :)

Ted

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Do you have other receivers/DVRs?

Is this happening on multiple receivers? or just this one?

It sounds like you have a corroded (another one!) somewhere. Perhaps on the multiswitch, if you have one.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply Godfather! No, I only have the one IRD, and I unscrewed and checked every F connector between the dish and the IRD. No multiswitches or anything else in the coax run. Does the fact that only the odd numbered transponders on 103ca are really low mean anything? I would assume (yes I know that can be dangerous!) that would rule out any coax or cabling issues....

Ted

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Have you tried swapping BBCs?  are the signal readings the same on BOTH tuners?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi again peds48 - swapping the BBC's made little or no difference. All of the odd numbered transponders on 103ca are still low (about 35%) while the even ones are about 90%.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Ted

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

If 103ca is low on both tuners, and 103cb is okay on both tuners, then I suspect the problem is in the LNB.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

I agree with my esteemed friend Diana. Four years is an average lifespan for an LNB.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Four years is an average lifespan for an LNB.

This is an interesting fact.  Specially when I still see Sony DirecTV dishes around!…. :yesman:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Average... means many fail before and many fail after. A single LNB dish has far fewer failure points than a modern multi-satellite dish.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

I was't arguing your point Stuart, more like surprised! 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info - when it cools off later this afternoon I'll check the dish to see what LNB I have. Assuming it is a SL3 I see them on Amazon for $25 and elsewhere for $40.00 or more.

Question is, last time I was on the roof I noticed 4 coax leads coming out of the LNB but only 2 are used. What are the extra leads for? These 2 unused leads connect to the grounding block, but the unused ports on the grounding block are not terminated with a 75 ohm cap - I was always told that unused ports should always have a 75 ohm cap on them, or does that not matter?

In my sat install days I often found LNB's that were 10-15 years old, which isn't bad considering the heat and IR they have to deal with here in the Arizona desert!

On a side note, I am considering cutting the cord (!!) - I recently got a Roku box and I am very pleased with what I can get from the Internet. Amazon Prime is very nice, and I really like watching movies without ads or logos/bugs/ads cluttering up the screen. Plus I can get nearly 60 channels off air, although half of them are junk.

I don't mind replacing the LNB though...for $25.00 it is not a big deal.

Thanks!

Ted

#12 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

For a standard multiswitch (legacy) LNB such as yours, you do not need to terminate the unused lines from the dish. Those are for additional tuners or a multiswitch. For a SWiM system, with one line from the dish (or SWiM module), terminator caps on the unused lines are required.

Just for fun, you could try swapping cables on the ground block so you're using the other two and see if that helps your situation at all.

BTW, my Slimline SL-5 is now 5 years old and looks to be doing well in the moist climate of the Pacific NW. I don't even see any moss on it! :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#13 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi all,

The LNB here is a SL3PIG-WNC, and using the other two outputs as suggested did not make any difference - all of the odd numbered transponders on 103ca are stll about 35% (on both tuners) while the even numbered ones are around 90%.

The LNB's on Amazon and Solid Signal just show SL3 for the model number - no "PIG-WNC" - does that matter?

5 years in the rain forest with no moss??? That is pretty good :).

Ted

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

PIG stands for "pig-tails"  The LNB used to come with 4 pre-cut jumpers attached to its 4 outputs. and WNC is the manufacturer, which BTW, I would  stay away from.  As an installer, who has install hundreds, if not thousands of LNBs, I can tell you that WNCs are the worst.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hi all,

The LNB here is a SL3PIG-WNC, …

I just realized that you also have a WNC LNB, coincidence, probably NOT

Edited by peds48, 23 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

PIG stands for "pig-tails"  The LNB used to come with 4 pre-cut jumpers attached to its 4 outputs. and WNC is the manufacturer, which BTW, I would  stay away from.  As an installer, who has install hundreds, if not thousands of LNBs, I can tell you that WNCs are the worst.

When I replaced my LNB recently I ordered one on Ebay and received a WNC. When my installer saw it, he said he thinks they're the best. The old LNB was an Andrew, which he thought was the worst, says whenever he replaces a bad one it seems like most of the time it is Andrew. He's probably not installed as many as you (he's more of a Dish guy than Directv, based on the paint job on his truck ;)) but it is interesting how things like this always seem to have a lot of different opinions.

Just curious, what is it you don't like about WNC LNBs? Do they fail more often, are they more susceptible to rain fade, do they have lower S/N, ???

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the info - and I see both Amazon and Solid Signal list the LNB's as "various manufacturers" so I would assume one does not have a choice in the brand name. And I will just reuse the exsisting pigtails when I get the new LNB from Amazon in the next day or so (Amazon goodies usually show up here overnight and no shipping charges either with Prime).

My experience installing big dishes (1.2 m and up) found a lot of bad RSI LNB's while the Norsat units seemed to hang in there for years. However I am sure that every LNB brand has their good ones and bad ones from various production runs.

Ted

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

When I replaced my LNB recently I ordered one on Ebay and received a WNC. When my installer saw it, he said he thinks they're the best. The old LNB was an Andrew, which he thought was the worst, says whenever he replaces a bad one it seems like most of the time it is Andrew. He's probably not installed as many as you (he's more of a Dish guy than Directv, based on the paint job on his truck ;)) but it is interesting how things like this always seem to have a lot of different opinions.

Just curious, what is it you don't like about WNC LNBs? Do they fail more often, are they more susceptible to rain fade, do they have lower S/N, ???

WNC LNBs tend to have a lower S/N over time, "brand new" they seem to work ok, but they start loose S/N specially on the 103 sats.  Also IIRC, about 3 years ago there was an LNB that would go to SFFS when the temperature felt over 32 degrees. and also IIRC, this LNB was a WNC.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

WNC LNBs tend to have a lower S/N over time, "brand new" they seem to work ok, but they start loose S/N specially on the 103 sats.  Also IIRC, about 3 years ago there was an LNB that would go to SFFS when the temperature felt over 32 degrees. and also IIRC, this LNB was a WNC.

Interesting. I should make a note of my signal strengths on a clear day across all satellites so I can compare in the future. If I see the 103 sats going down over time without seeing the same on the others I guess I'll know what is happening... What brand do you feel are the best SL5 KaKu LNBs?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Interesting. I should make a note of my signal strengths on a clear day across all satellites so I can compare in the future. If I see the 103 sats going down over time without seeing the same on the others I guess I'll know what is happening... What brand do you feel are the best SL5 KaKu LNBs?

The best SL5 LNB in my books, is the one that has 3 "bubbles" on top of the 101/99/103 lens.  It ais an Eagle/Aspen

Attached Thumbnails

• Eagle:Aspen.JPG

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall