Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is It My RF Remote or MY HR24's 0c66d Software?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

With my HR24 running 0x66d software, about half the time I press any button on the remote, the HR24 will execute the command twice.  For example, if I press 2 to get channel 2, the HR24 will show channel 22 and then go there.  Another example: If I am scrolling through a list with the page scroll button, the one press cause the list to jump 2 pages.  But even worse, the HR24 will often act AS IF I pressed the SELECT button when I didn't.  For example, if I highlight a particular video, it will start playing on its own AS IF I pressed SELECT because the default choice on the left side of the screen is PLAY.  Another example:  If I bring up the manual recording screen, before I can do anything the HR24 acts AS IF I pressed OK to record the default recording settings.  Then I have to go to my TO DO list and delete it.  This happens over and over.  Do I have a bad remote, or is it this 0x66d release for the HR24 that has a lot of other problems?  Thanks! 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Have you tried IR?  Have you tried replacing the batteries?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

You could try using the front panel to see if it does the same thing.

I had that same thing happen a couple of times before my receivers updated to 6bd - not nearly as bad as yours.  I use the term updated loosely however because now everything is much slower to respond.  If I hit the down arrow 5 times in the guide sometime I get 3 sometimes I get 4 and almost never get 5.  The only way I get 5 is if I push the down arrow once, wait a second, then push it again etc.  It can't keep up with just 5 pushes of the button.

I doubt it is your remote - more likely to be the firmware.  I've lost count of how many 'updates' they have had in the last few months and that can only mean they know there is trouble.  

Maybe they'll get it it right someday but don't hold your breath!

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Is this a HR24-500? Our hr24-500 does the same thing, yet the same remote, paired to our HR24-100 works fine. Any remote in IR mode also works perfectly with the 500. I think a few HR24-500s just have funky RF receivers.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

My HR24-500 starting doing some similar funky things, like the guide popping up in its own, registering key strokes that I never pressed on the remote, etc. I switched from IR to RF and blocked external access within Whole Home and it was still doing it. Although, it has settled down and hasn't done it in a couple of days. Hoping the next firmware update addresses it.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

The HR24-500 has an issue which does not seem to affect other HR24s, and does not seem to be firmware related. Very occasionally, and only wiith a few users (including me!) the DVR seems to take off on its own, appears as if someone is using the remote. They are not, it does not seem to be remote related. The closest we have got to a cause is there is some evidence this is caused by external RF interference with the touch panel. Some amateur radio operators have reported they can make it happen when they transmit. My experience is the problem disappears as fast as it came. In my case it happened for a few days, then went away, came back two months later and then went away again. It's about two months since I saw this problem last.

#7 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

The HR24-500 has an issue which does not seem to affect other HR24s, and does not seem to be firmware related. Very occasionally, and only wiith a few users (including me!) the DVR seems to take off on its own, appears as if someone is using the remote. They are not, it does not seem to be remote related. The closest we have got to a cause is there is some evidence this is caused by external RF interference with the touch panel. Some amateur radio operators have reported they can make it happen when they transmit. My experience is the problem disappears as fast as it came. In my case it happened for a few days, then went away, came back two months later and then went away again. It's about two months since I saw this problem last.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was surprised when it started happening as this is the first time I've seen it in the roughly 3 years I've had the box.

#8 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Is this a HR24-500? Our hr24-500 does the same thing, yet the same remote, paired to our HR24-100 works fine. Any remote in IR mode also works perfectly with the 500. I think a few HR24-500s just have funky RF receivers.

Funny but I've had the HR24 for two years now with the same remote always on RF and no problem until 0x66d came down.  I have not switched to IR yet because DTV is making service call soon and I want to show them.  Changed the batteries to no avail.  In fact when I point the remote at the couch 180 degrees away from the HR24 presumably to lessen the signal strength, the receiver responds to the remote more like it should.  When I try the front pannel, I get the opposite problem.  I have to push the buttons 3-4-5-6 times before the HR24 responds.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I had that happen a couple years ago.  Naturally, on a 24-500.  I like them, but the one that went berserk responded to nothing I did. We thought it was kinda funny.  Happened with the remote set for IR and RF.  Almost kept it for entertainment value.  You really had to see this thing go nuts to appreciate it.  Finally swapped it out for another 500 and have not had any problems since.  Except for one time after an NR when every one of my 500s went crazy.  Had to reset the whole MRV system to clear that up.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Have you tried IR?  Have you tried replacing the batteries?

Switched to IR and everything is fine.  DTV tech said my problem is intrinsic to the HR24/500 receiver.

#11 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Switched to IR and everything is fine.  DTV tech said my problem is intrinsic to the HR24/500 receiver.

Very interesting.  I'll have to switch my HR24-500 to RF and check that out.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...