Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie (HR-44) PQ vs. Older HR-20-100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

I have an awesome Pioneer Kuro Plasma PRO-101 monitor and love the PQ from my 6 year old HR-20-100. I'm scheduled for a Genie install in May and wanted to be sure there were no compromises in PQ with the newer units? In a day where 90% of people are content with 128K mp3's into $2.00 ear buds, and LCD displays in "torch mode", I worry that compromises might have been made in PQ to acommodate all those tuners, etc! I'm sure there is no worry but I had to ask!

thx

bob

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,335 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

There is nothing to worry about. They didn't need to do anything to the PQ to accomodate the extra tuners. 

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

dpeters is correct. Gone are the days when an analog piece of gear imparted its own character to the PQ. DVRs are fully digital other than the composite/S/component outputs, which means PQ is locked in the digital domain and can't be altered, not for better nor for worse, without puposefully performing a mathematical operation on the binary coefficients that represent that data. Since that does not happen between the uplink and the TV (assuming HDMI input) the DVR has no opportunity to color the character of the video. This is why all DVRs from the Tivo HR10-250 to the HRs to cable DVRs all have virtually the same PQ, another advantage of digital.

There is one known exception, which is that the HR24 uses RGB while most if not all of the rest use Y Pb Pr. Once you un-matrix Y Pb Pr it is identical to RGB, but it has been found that some TVs treat one a little different from the other, meaning that there may be the need for a slight adjustment to chroma or black level to get it to look the same. HDMI is compatible with both, so faithfully transports whatever is used to the HDMI RX chip in your TV. Depending on make and model, this might cause one to look a little different than the other prior to readjustment.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

dpeters is correct. Gone are the days when an analog piece of gear imparted its own character to the PQ. DVRs are fully digital other than the composite/S/component outputs, which means PQ is locked in the digital domain and can't be altered, not for better nor for worse, without puposefully performing a mathematical operation on the binary coefficients that represent that data. Since that does not happen between the uplink and the TV (assuming HDMI input) the DVR has no opportunity to color the character of the video. This is why all DVRs from the Tivo HR10-250 to the HRs to cable DVRs all have virtually the same PQ, another advantage of digital.

There is one known exception, which is that the HR24 uses RGB while most if not all of the rest use Y Pb Pr. Once you un-matrix Y Pb Pr it is identical to RGB, but it has been found that some TVs treat one a little different from the other, meaning that there may be the need for a slight adjustment to chroma or black level to get it to look the same. HDMI is compatible with both, so faithfully transports whatever is used to the HDMI RX chip in your TV. Depending on make and model, this might cause one to look a little different than the other prior to readjustment.

Thanks, TC

I know that the calibrator had to change the colorspace or some rgb setting when he did my Kuro.  Said only certain DTV boxes required it. I know I don't have an HR-24 so not sure what he did?

bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...