Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Pandora Total Disaster

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Listening to Pandora on my Genie is virtually impossible. Songs constantly get clipped off after 15-20 seconds or stop playing completely. Otherwise the HR34 works fine. Have reset it and have the most current update. Pandora still lousy.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think this is a common problem with a lot of people. Not sure what the problem is but as a side note I have been having this same issue with a Grace Radio as well.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

That might be a function of your LAN. If the data does not reach the decoder fast enough there will be buffer underflow, and the audio will stop and wait when that happens, possibly not resuming at all. Of course if you can watch download video on demand this proves your LAN is probably OK, and that it is more a function of the DVR not handling things well.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

That might be a function of your LAN. If the data does not reach the decoder fast enough there will be buffer underflow, and the audio will stop and wait when that happens, possibly not resuming at all. Of course if you can watch download video on demand this proves your LAN is probably OK, and that it is more a function of the DVR not handling things well.

Pandora requires at least 150kpbs so if you have the slowest DSL connection (512kbps), you should still qualify (assuming your not getting a lot of competition for Internet bandwidth on your LAN).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   tazman

tazman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I agree it is useless. My other Hr24's do just fine. I have a 30 meg internet and check it constantly and it is always spot on. The 34 is the only unit in the house that does this !

Agggh !!

#6 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

The fact that you cannot view video while using the Pandora app on the HR34, as you can with the HR2x boxes, makes it useless to me on that platform.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#7 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

It got so bad on my HR34 that I just quit trying to use it at all. I now listen to it through my ROKU and have absolutely no problems with it at all.

#8 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

The fact that you cannot view video while using the Pandora app on the HR34, as you can with the HR2x boxes, makes it useless to me on that platform.

Agree.

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

The Genie used to be just fine with Pandora but something did change recently, either in the DIRECTV software or at Pandora. I hear songs being cut off part way through or Pandora stop completely. I have a 15Mbps down connection and a Pandora paid subscription.

The RVU. clients also have an issue when changing songs it will quickly show one song in the floating box then change again to another song. I've reported all issues to DIRECTV and hopefully they'll fix them one of these days.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this Pandora listening issue...songs will clip off after about 20 seconds or so and the next one may start, or it just quits playing altogether.  For now, I can fire up my Samsung Blu-Ray player and its Pandora app continues to work fine.  Like most workarounds, it's a bit inconvenient, but at least I can listen to Pandora with no issues with it.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

You cannot view video at the same time on the HR20's either.....its only HR21's -24's currently.

#12 OFFLINE   teedo

teedo

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

I am having the same problems with my new Genie receiver.  It will play 2 to 3 songs then I get dropped back to regular TV or it will play 1, 2 or 3 songs and then freeze in the middle of a song and I will have to push forward/next on the remote, to go to the next song, in order for it to continue playing music.  My previous receiver would play music for hours without any sort of problem.  This is getting very frustrating, for being newer technology you think this would work better or at least as well as the older equipment. :bang :flaiming

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I am having the same problems with my new Genie receiver.  It will play 2 to 3 songs then I get dropped back to regular TV or it will play 1, 2 or 3 songs and then freeze in the middle of a song and I will have to push forward/next on the remote, to go to the next song, in order for it to continue playing music.  My previous receiver would play music for hours without any sort of problem.  This is getting very frustrating, for being newer technology you think this would work better or at least as well as the older equipment. :bang :flaiming

Have you rebooted your receiver at all since getting it installed?  Somtetimes this is simple fix.  Other times, not so much...

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

I agree it is useless. My other Hr24's do just fine. I have a 30 meg internet and check it constantly and it is always spot on. The 34 is the only unit in the house that does this !

Agggh !!

Agree.. PS3, xbox360, BD player all works flawlessly, fire it up on the 34 and its a disaster. Cant say im surprised though.

#15 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

I just tried it on the HR44, and all I saw was the Pandora logo in the small window screen (where you normally see live tv) while listening to music, I just switched off and use the HR24 instead, I like watching and listening at the same time.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...