Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receivers from commercial accounts?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

I agree, they should tell you. I'm too lazy to check, but I wonder if TOS says it?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I agree, they should tell you. I'm too lazy to check, but I wonder if TOS says it?

I suspect it is but who reads that stuff anyway?  I think most people wouldn't subscribe if they actually read all the fine print.  Not just a DirecTV thing but just about all small print.

If you run the fine print through the Universal Translator to turn it into English it comes out as "We own you for 2 years.  If you want out you will pay us.  We can do anything we want including raising the monthly rate by %6000 and you will still own you.  If you don't agree use broadcast TV".

#43 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

While very funny, it's not exactly true. !rolling

The 1 time I had to activate a leased receiver, the CSR fully explained it's leased. Unfortunately, some CSRs don't do so and people unfamiliar with what we know get screwed.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#44 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

While very funny, it's not exactly true. !rolling

The 1 time I had to activate a leased receiver, the CSR fully explained it's leased. Unfortunately, some CSRs don't do so and people unfamiliar with what we know get screwed.

You're correct!  I forgot about the part about they also own any offspring conceived during the 2 year agreement.

• sigma1914 likes this

#45 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

Want to be sure....  If he cancels two weeks in he'll owe a $480 ETF fee.

True....but any dissatisfaction would more likely be around finding the DVR a pain to use or not liking the remote. "Fortunately" he's coming from one of those Motorola HD DVRs that pretty much suck, so the Genie would have a high (low) bar to reach for him to find it was worse. As long as it records stuff when he tells it to I imagine he'll be fine. Losing recordings would be the big no no as far he's concerned.

If not, given that he's spending $150/month on cable now, he'd only need to get the cable company to give him the same package/equipment for $95 for a year to break even, even with a full $480 ETF. I wouldn't be shocked to see them do so, considering how long he's been with them and how much they'd want him back when he spends that much. Most providers seem to be pretty generous with the "we miss you" offers. They are generous with everyone but current customers, they won't do anything for you until you threaten to leave :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Folks need to understand the following:

1. If you get the receiver from DirecTV, the CSR is supposed to "transfer" the customer to a recording (about 2 minutes) which explains the TOS with DirecTV as it applies to this receiver (or transaction).  If this receiver is then installed by a DirecTV tech (whether in-house or sub) the tech  then makes the customer sign a digital version of such contract (nobody reads it).

2. If the customer gets the receiver from a 3rd party, it is then the responsibility od such party to make the customer aware of such commitment and receiver (status) as DirecTV will hold them responsible for any monies that are not recovered.  This is the reason why for example, you will see on solid signal website with red lettering stating that the receiver is leased and it includes a 2 year commitment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Folks need to understand the following:

1. If you get the receiver from DirecTV, the CSR is supposed to "transfer" the customer to a recording (about 2 minutes) which explains the TOS with DirecTV as it applies to this receiver (or transaction).  If this receiver is then installed by a DirecTV tech (whether in-house or sub) the tech  then makes the customer sign a digital version of such contract (nobody reads it).

2. If the customer gets the receiver from a 3rd party, it is then the responsibility od such party to make the customer aware of such commitment and receiver (status) as DirecTV will hold them responsible for any monies that are not recovered.  This is the reason why for example, you will see on solid signal website with red lettering stating that the receiver is leased and it includes a 2 year commitment 

Apparently that system doesn't work.  Why not play the recording for everyone that is activating a leased receiver?  Seems like the right thing to do rather than just hoping that the untrained people at the dealer level will tell the customer the real deal...  Not the complete bull I was told multiple times by one of the larger installers in the area.

I don't think it would kill anyone to just be up front.

#48 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Apparently that system doesn't work.  Why not play the recording for everyone that is activating a leased receiver?  Seems like the right thing to do rather than just hoping that the untrained people at the dealer level will tell the customer the real deal...  Not the complete bull I was told multiple times by one of the larger installers in the area.

Then the problem is with the 3rd party dealers, and I am not surprised since all they do is lie to get the sale.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Not all third party dealers are like that. Some third party dealers are well-trained and reach out to the community to try to educate others, even other dealers. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Not all third party dealers are like that. Some third party dealers are well-trained and reach out to the community to try to educate others, even other dealers. 

agreed.  I should have said  "mom & pops" kind of dealers.  bigger players like solid signal are very forthcoming with the right information, but then again they don't set up new accounts.  Costco and like are the worst!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

You know how many leased receivers I've activated over the years?  More than most people and I can tell you the exact number of times I've heard that recording...0!

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Then the problem is with the 3rd party dealers, and I am not surprised since all they do is lie to get the sale.

I guess you never really know but I got the impression that the guy really did believe what he as saying.  I don't think 'most' DirecTV people or 3rd party people fit into the 'all they do is lie to get the sale' group.

#53 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

You know how many leased receivers I've activated over the years?  More than most people and I can tell you the exact number of times I've heard that recording...0!

Rich

Rich - I think you may have activated more receivers than 99% of the people in the country!  I don't remember a recording when I signed up or when I switched out my receivers but that was a while back....

DirecTV needs to work on this problem.  When I started calling on receivers people claimed to actually own I was surprised to find just about all of them were leased...  But after going to that dealer I can see why many people think they own their receivers - at no fault of their own.

#54 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

I don't remember a recording when I signed up or when I switched out my receivers but that was a while back....

The recording is a "newer" protocol after DirecTV got in trouble (read lawsuit) for not disclosing the TOS clearly  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#55 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

The recording is a "newer" protocol after DirecTV got in trouble (read lawsuit) for not disclosing the TOS clearly  

Apparently DirecTV 'won' the suit...  It isn't that difficult to explain that receivers are 'leased' even after you pay $200 for them and when activated you are agreeing to 24 months of service.  See how easy that was?! :biggrin:

#56 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

It must be VERY new...I've activated 5 receivers in the six months (decided that if we were going to commit to a 2 year contract, we might as well get everything upgraded) and also have NEVER heard any such recording.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#57 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

It must be VERY new...I've activated 5 receivers in the six months (decided that if we were going to commit to a 2 year contract, we might as well get everything upgraded) and also have NEVER heard any such recording.

The recoding plays BEFORE you place the upgrade order.  once you get the receiver, DirecTV assumes that someone has read you your "rights"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#58 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

The recoding plays BEFORE you place the upgrade order.  once you get the receiver, DirecTV assumes that someone has read you your "rights"

Hmmm....  Has anyone ever heard this illusive recording outside of DirecTV?  Maybe the recorder was broken during the taping of said recording?

DirecTV really shouldn't assume it - especially if they have had legal trouble in the past.  Everyone that activates a leased receiver should have to agree that it is a lease and will need to be returned after use or the receiver doesn't get activated.

It is easy to do and would greatly reduce the confusion.  Most people would assume that if they pay DirecTV or one of their dealers $199 plus shipping they are actually buying something.

They do get it right sometimes - I called to 'urge' them to add the Pac12 Network and they started offering free stuff...  This and that and little here and free Sunday Ticket.  I said 'that sounds pretty good'.  The CSR said I would have to commit for 12 months....  I said 'Thanks but no'.  If I have to switch providers to get Pac12 games I don't want to be paying an ETF.  She was very nice but didn't try to trick me into a contract - very upfront as it should always be.

#59 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I guess no one knows if receivers on commercial accounts are considered owned?

#60 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Thanks to Directv not making any information about anything at all readily available, CSRs giving conflicting information, and this mythical recording explaining about leases and commitments never being heard by anyone, it doesn't sound like anyone knows much of anything for sure! :)

All I know is that I don't pay any monthly fees for any of my 23 currently active receivers, or the 15 or 20 with expired activations that Directv has no reason to believe aren't still active on my account. That doesn't answer the question of whether Directv thinks they're leased or owned, but it is really the only thing that matters to me since I don't have any reason to try to sell receivers. I run them until they die or become obsolete.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread showing how little we know about what the rules really are, it is that I need to be really careful that I don't ever start asking questions like "do I own my receivers?" or even to 'helpfully' call in with my RID/card numbers to deactivate all the receivers I'm no longer using. Don't do anything to rock the boat, because for all I know I'm supposed to be paying monthly fees for all my receivers...

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...