Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receivers from commercial accounts?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

I guess no one knows if receivers on commercial accounts are considered owned?

My experience says they are owned.  When I upgraded at work from SD to HD they did not ask for any of the D12s back and it has been long enough now I would have seen any non-recovery fees.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

Rich - I think you may have activated more receivers than 99% of the people in the country!  I don't remember a recording when I signed up or when I switched out my receivers but that was a while back....

DirecTV needs to work on this problem.  When I started calling on receivers people claimed to actually own I was surprised to find just about all of them were leased...  But after going to that dealer I can see why many people think they own their receivers - at no fault of their own.

Yesterday, I had a 20-700 (dead) and a 24-500 (non-responsive to front panel commands) swapped out for two HR24-100s and got  a slip to sign (which I read thoroughly) about leased equipment.  The paper details everything properly (as far as I know) about leased receivers.  First time I've ever seen one or was asked to sign one.

Last month, I had to have a leased 24-500 replaced with a 24-100 and didn't get anything to sign.  Must be something new.  

I had to call ACT again to ensure that the HRs that were swapped out yesterday remained "owned".  Naturally, they were both listed as leased.  Got both changed to owned.  You have to make that call if you swap out an owned HR.  If you don't, it will be listed as leased and you'll have a hard time convincing anyone in a year or so that your HR should be owned.

This morning, I called D* to see if they had screwed up my commitment (I should have none) and, sure enough, they had me listed as starting a new commitment yesterday.  Got that straightened out.  

You'll note that I wrote what was wrong with both DVRs that I swapped yesterday.  Seemed pretty straightforward, didn't it?  One dead 20-700 and one 24-500 that wouldn't respond to front cover commands.  When the D* guy showed up yesterday morning, the work order said I was having HDMI problems.  Told the tech what was really the matter and he couldn't figure out how the PP CSR  screwed up.  I knew this was gonna happen because I talked to the PP CSR for 25 minutes and then gave up and had him transfer me to Retention.  As soon as the Retention CSR brought up my account, he said I had to be transferred to Case Management.  A CMG agent called me and I told him what was wrong and he said the PP CSR put down HDMI problems on the file the agent received and he couldn't change it for some reason.  He told me to tell the tech just what I told him and that's just what I did.  Had no problem with the tech.

How did they manage to screw up the PP CSRs so badly?  I don't think the PP CSR understood anything I told him.   

Rich 

#63 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

That stinks Rich - quite the pain!  You'd think with the number of receivers and your history they could at least make it easy!

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

That stinks Rich - quite the pain!  You'd think with the number of receivers and your history they could at least make it easy!

To top everything off that happened, yesterday a box with a 24-200 arrived from FedEx.  Called retention and they couldn't understand what happened.  But, I swapped the 24-200 for an old 20-700 and all is well.  Only cost me 4 hours on the phone.  All because a PP CSR had no idea what I was talking about Saturday.  Can't help but wonder what I'll get today... :nono2:

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   flynn451

flynn451

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

My experience says they are owned.  When I upgraded at work from SD to HD they did not ask for any of the D12s back and it has been long enough now I would have seen any non-recovery fees.

I concur.  Over the last 10 years managing our commercial account with D*, I've upgraded and replaced over 20 receivers and have never once been asked to return a dead or outdated receiver. Not that I'm complaining; I'm thankful to have been spared that hassle.  Overall, I get the impression that the commercial side is run completely differently from the residential side.  Most of the CSRs handling commercial accounts seem to utilize a "random answer generator" since they seem to be completely in the dark regarding which policies apply to us.

#66 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,067 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update it with some of my more recent experiences from the commercial side. I've bought five H20-100s off Ebay in the past 3-4 months. One to replace one of my two remaining H20-600s that died, a couple for new locations, a couple just to have on hand as spares or for testing.

I didn't check status on any of them, but I'm assuming most/all were considered leased by Directv. Two came with access cards, I was able to activate them using the old card, no problem. Three came without cards. One I was able to activate with an access card I pulled from an old H20-600 I had laying around. A second one I tried the same and they told me I couldn't because the RID listed it as a residential leased receiver and I was told it was impossible for me to activate it on my account. So I called the next day and activated it no problem :goodjob:

The third I tried the same thing with and they said they couldn't activate it with a card from another receiver and I had to buy a new card because cards could never be reused. Instead of seeing "invalid access card" like I'd seen before when I pulled a card from one of my receivers I saw "you inserted the wrong access card", so I figured maybe there was something different about this receiver and just to get it done I had them ship me a card for $20. I think what may have happened is that I might have tried a card pulled from an H20-600 that was still 'active' on my account (since I haven't bothered to deactivate the ones that died since they don't cost me anything) I wish I remembered the card number that I tried so I could verify that.

Since I've had no problems activating receivers with the existing card, from now on when I buy from Ebay, I'm only going to buy H20-100s that include the access card. Those aren't uncommon, they either list it in the description, or they show you a picture of the receiver with an open access card door. I know people report Directv asking them to return the access card when they trade in a working H20 but consider the unit unrecoverable. I don't know if I'd be able to use these or not on my account since I've never had one I knew for sure was unrecoverable.

If anyone is curious about the price I'm paying, I didn't pay more than $30 including shipping on any of them. Most of the auctions start at 99 cents, sometimes $5-10. So far when I've entered that starting bid I've never been outbid. Not a lot of buyers for these now I guess. I see a lot of H20-600s up for auction, sometimes even some listed as new in the box. I won't touch them, not even brand new, they are junk. So far all the ones I've bought have worked perfectly.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I am surprised.  They generally will not activate a access card in a box if it was used on another box.  They also generally wont activate a card if it was used on a different account ever.  I have a feeling your commercial account is why you are able to.  They just wont move access cards from one receiver to another for regular customers anymore.

#68 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

I've had no problems putting non-recoverable residential SD receivers (that still work) on a commercial account.  Last couple of years the existing access cards haven't been needed to be replaced either.

Handy for upgrading the SeniorTV system I maintain and augment.

spam firewall