Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What do you guys think of this suggestion???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I like the idea of being able to press the red button while watching a show in order to toggle between automatically deleting the show at the end of the recording and not deleting it (in case you automatically press the red button).  Much like you can toggle with the Record button.

The advantages?

• If you are watching a single show, it will just automatically delete at the end instead of bringing up the box (saves a step and a keystroke).
  • If you are watching a folder of shows (by pressing play on the folder), this is the most handy feature of this suggestion.  If you have a folder with say 40 shows, and you press play on the folder, it starts playing the episodes in order.  It would be nice if you can just press the red button to delete the shows as you go.  If you only get through 12 episodes, they can all automatically be deleted at the end of each show (since you would have pressed the red button on each of the 12 episodes).  This prevents you from having to go back after each show and deleting.

I think this would be a great and useful feature that they should consider implementing.

• dobok likes this

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Too complex for Mr. Average User.

Nice concept tho
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I also like it.

How have you been Milkman?

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Too complex for Mr. Average User.

Nice concept tho

There are several features that are too complex for "Mr. Average User".  Doesn't mean they aren't implemented.  But I don't agree with your assertion.

I am not sure how pressing the delete button during a show (and pressing it again if it was an accident) is any more complicated than the record toggle. 

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

How have you been Milkman?

Taking it one day at a time Jackie.  :)  Thanks for asking.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,601 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Not sure is a good idea to make the "fail safe" button be the same one you press to start with, specially with deletions 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

I like the idea of being able to press the red button while watching a show in order to toggle between automatically deleting the show at the end of the recording and not deleting it (in case you automatically press the red button).  Much like you can toggle with the Record button.

The advantages?

• If you are watching a single show, it will just automatically delete at the end instead of bringing up the box (saves a step and a keystroke).
  • If you are watching a folder of shows (by pressing play on the folder), this is the most handy feature of this suggestion.  If you have a folder with say 40 shows, and you press play on the folder, it starts playing the episodes in order.  It would be nice if you can just press the red button to delete the shows as you go.  If you only get through 12 episodes, they can all automatically be deleted at the end of each show (since you would have pressed the red button on each of the 12 episodes).  This prevents you from having to go back after each show and deleting.

I think this would be a great and useful feature that they should consider implementing.

I like the idea however implementing it kills the idea of using red as "stop" on the new RC71 remotes.  I'd rather have stop, sorry.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

I like the idea however implementing it kills the idea of using red as "stop" on the new RC71 remotes.  I'd rather have stop, sorry.

I was unaware of this.  I will have to look up a pic of the remote later.  

Double Dash would be nice (still angry that they removed that).

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Much rather have RED be STOP with the RC71 remote. And SELECT display the progress bar. Thought of by others but love both.

• JBv likes this

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#10 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

I was unaware of this.  I will have to look up a pic of the remote later.  

Double Dash would be nice (still angry that they removed that).

I just saw the remote...  OMG!!!!  I don't like it.  They took a lot of functionality out of the remote :(.

Anyway, since the new remote doesn't have the 4 colored buttons of the old remote, my suggestion above of the double dash WHILE you are watching a program to delete it at the end would be good through all of the remote platforms (I think).

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I just saw the remote...  OMG!!!!  I don't like it.  They took a lot of functionality out of the remote :(.

Yes, they certainly did.  The functions of the color buttons have moved elsewhere but the removal of "stop" and making "pause/play" the same button keep me from wanting to use the remote on a daily basis. 

Some of the things they moved, that were color buttons, make sense.  For instance when in the Series Manager moving a show to the top is now done by the "1" button.  That makes total sense to me.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,671 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I don't like the idea of "automatically deleting" anything, unless they put a recycle bin.

Of course anything in said "recycle bin" would be first to go when coming up on contention with free space.

I do not like the new remote either.  I would of been ok with it if there was a slider QWERTY keyboard on it for typing in YouTube / Pandora / Smart Search input boxes.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#13 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't like the idea of "automatically deleting" anything, unless they put a recycle bin.

Of course anything in said "recycle bin" would be first to go when coming up on contention with free space.

I do not like the new remote either.  I would of been ok with it if there was a slider QWERTY keyboard on it for typing in YouTube / Pandora / Smart Search input boxes.

Automatically delete may be the wrong way to phrase it.  It is the same as going through the playlist and pressing delete afterwards.  Each episode would be deleted if you pressed the delete button during the episode.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

I concur with the bin part~ a recycle bin imho is needed. I know their are times when shows are accidently deleted, and not all customers have a hd dvr connected to the internet, and even with that some shows are not available on demand.  

#15 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

For the number of shows during which I fall asleep before the getting to the end, I wouldn't want to use this feature.  I'd miss out on too much TV!

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Tivo has a deleted items folder, the oldest of which are deleted as needed to make room for new recordings. If you didn't record anything for a year (and disabled the stupid Tivo suggestions that records stuff automatically) you could undelete items a year old and rewatch them if you wanted.

I don't see why in the hell anyone would a button that toggles having a show automatically deleting when it is done. I don't know how Directv's DVR interface works, but is it really that hard to delete a show once you've watched it? Tivo brings up a dialog asking if you want to delete it when you reach the end (or stop it close to the end) If Directv's DVRs aren't do that, that is what they should do, not have a button on the remote you might accidentally hit that will autodelete something you didn't want to delete with no way of recovering it!  What a terrible idea!!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

I don't know how Directv's DVR interface works, but is it really that hard to delete a show once you've watched it? Tivo brings up a dialog asking if you want to delete it when you reach the end (or stop it close to the end) If Directv's DVRs aren't do that, that is what they should do, not have a button on the remote you might accidentally hit that will autodelete something you didn't want to delete with no way of recovering it!  What a terrible idea!!

That's what they do

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I would have assumed so, if it wasn't for the TS' idea. Really makes me wonder why he thinks this is a good idea, since it isn't as though it costs you much time/effort to say "OK" when asked to delete a recording when it is finished! Surely there are some other places in the interface (like people talking about having to navigate through a bunch of menus to turn PIP on/off) where such effort would be better spent. Or fixing bugs, that's always shortchanged by every maker of every device that connects to or has a screen these days. Do I really need a half dozen devices all capable of watching Netflix? My car feels left out!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

My car feels left out!

WHAT???? you car does not have Netflix???   Get with the program..... !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall