Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless C31/C41 Router Suggestion or Troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hi all,  I need help diagnosing/choosing a wifi router for those who hook up their Genie mini (c31/C41) wireless.

First let me say that yes I know this is not supported by directv, but that's why Im on this website and not theirs.  :-)

My Setup and Issues

HR44  -  Connected wirelessly to Single Band Belkin N Router

C41 -  Connected to Wireless Cinema Connection kit.

Issue 

I am able to wirelessly use the C41...but just barely...it is WAY too laggy, so much so that the picture drops every 15 seconds and if I try to hit guide/menu nothing shows up and then it just drops back to full screen.  I am assuming my issue is router related.

So what brand/model of wifi router do people use to setup the HR34/HR44 to quickly talk to their C31/C41??  I have already rebooted everything and it still is laggy.  Also distance is not an issue.

Thanks for the help. I know alot of the suggestions will be to just leave it hard-wired...but I dont want that... :righton:

Edited by tpm1999, 22 April 2013 - 02:13 PM.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

From some testing I've been doing recently, you'd get better results by connecting the 44 to your router with ethernet, so you only have one wireless "hop".

This had nothing to do with the 44 and a client, but shows how much the results between two devices can vary:
Capture2.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Very Interesting testing results....thanks for the suggestion, but the HR44 is too far away from my router to hook up wired (different room).  And I cant move my cable modem/router to that room either.

Has anyone gotten it to work reliably with both the Genie and Genie Client on wifi?

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

After upgrading the router firmware to DD-WRT I was able to get:

2 N hops.png

with both being on a 802.11N Wifi

A.K.A VOS

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

What I couldn't test was using both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz, as my routers don't support 5 GHz.

U-Verse's wireless receiver comes with a 5 GHz AP.

If the 44 connects using the 2.4 GHz band, and the CCK connects using the 5 GHz, you may get better results. :shrug:

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Very Interesting testing results....thanks for the suggestion, but the HR44 is too far away from my router to hook up wired (different room).  And I cant move my cable modem/router to that room either.

Has anyone gotten it to work reliably with both the Genie and Genie Client on wifi?

Can you run coax from the SWiM splitter to where the router is? If so you could use a wired CCK there to eliminate using the HR44's wifi.

#7 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, my router is a single band N  (just 2.4 GHz....no 5 GHz).  That's why im thinking a dual band router might help my situation. 

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#8 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Can't provide specifics yet on the HR44 or C41, but I've had great luck streaming video using a Netgear WNDR3700 dual-band router.  It's the first consumer grade router I've owned that doesn't lock up or cause any other grief - it just sits there and works.  Use the 5 Ghz band for video if possible.

#9 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

One of the important things to check on the 2.4 GHz band is local competition (read, interference). VOS suggested a good tool, inSSIDer, several months ago. You'll need a PC with wifi and change your router to the least used channel.

Without this tool, just change the channel and test since most are using the default.

I currently use a Linksys E3000 dual band with DD-WRT firmware and have tried several configurations for MRV and a C31 client on a WCCK, all on 5 GHz band. Good results even with 2 wireless hops.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions...I have made some great progress!

1.  The channel band competition in my area is somewhat nuts (I picked up ~15 routers on my scan).  I changed my channel to another one and the video stutter is eliminated!  The channel/guide input is still very laggy however.

2.  Would turning off QoS  help with the channel lag issue, it might improve it but then re-introduce the video stutter/drop out.

Further Help needed

3.  I will be buying a dual band router, since I never had one before, how does one set a certain device to one frequency or another (like setting the directv devices to 5GHZ and leave the rest at 2.4...I am guessing by MAC address or does it automatically try to put the video QoS stuff on 5ghz).

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Further Help needed

3.  I will be buying a dual band router, since I never had one before, how does one set a certain device to one frequency or another (like setting the directv devices to 5GHZ and leave the rest at 2.4...I am guessing by MAC address or does it automatically try to put the video QoS stuff on 5ghz).

With the WCCK, logging into its GUI gives you the network and band it's using during setup.

A dual band router I was working with last week had different "names" for the two.

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thank you for the help VOS.  Dual band looks very cool in that I can just name it a similar name of my network with 5G at the end of it.  I will then let only my directv items on that network/frequency.  

Also, during my scan I only picked up one other 5GHZ network.  Looks like that frequency is nice and clean

Edited by tpm1999, 22 April 2013 - 05:13 PM.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the help VOS.  Dual band looks very cool in that I can just name it a similar name of my network with 5G at the end of it.  I will then let only my directv items on that network/frequency.  

Also, during my scan I only picked up one other 5GHZ network.  Looks like that frequency is nice and clean

5 GHz doesn't have the same range as 2.4 GHz.

As I said, I couldn't test 2.4 & 5, but did test using two routers and different channels on 2.4. It didn't give me what I'd hoped for.

You might want to setup the Genie on 2.4 GHz and the client on 5 GHz.

A.K.A VOS

#14 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

A very general statement, what 5Ghz loses in range is made up in higher throughput if the signal is good enough. I've found video streaming much better on the higher band.

I have anything video related, DVRs, iPads, Apple TV on the 5ghz band and general data / email pcs on G.

And just name the SSIDs different for the different bands. I use something like JonesG and JonesN.

#15 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

I plan on trying both units on the 2.4 band (just to see if it was just my old router being a jerk), then one on 5 and one on 2.4, then both on 5.  If none of those work to my satisfaction, I will go back to being wired (which isnt a bad thing since I am still VERY happy with the H44/C41 speed improvements over my ancient HR20/21 DVRs).  

I appreciate everyone's help in trying to improve my wireless performance!

I was thinking about the Uverse wireless client and how it does have an advantage in that it is just a single hop.  The Uverse router/hub is wired, so there is no need to talk to a wifi master box/Genie or whatever.  If I am unable to get better results with a dual band router, I am unsure if even the rumored C41w will solve it.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#16 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi All...just want to give an update.

First of all I purchased a Netgear 3700 dual band router.  I hooked everything up and left both the HR44 and the C41 on the 2.4 frequency.  I got similar results from yesterday (little bit of video stutter and extreme guide/menu lag).  

I then tried to login to my WCCK through my router (which I did yesterday)...but for some reason this time it wouldnt let me log in (very weird).  So after messing with it for 30 minutes...I simply reset my wcck and connected it through ethernet to set it up to connect to my 5 ghz frequency.  

So now my HR44 is on the 2.4 freq and the C41 is on the 5 freq.

Started to test it out and it works GREAT!!  There is no video stutter and the guide/menu comes up great!  The guide show up is a little slower than wired...but I dont mind that at all!

Thank you again all, it is the help of users like you all that has had me coming back every few years when it is time to upgrade my stuff!

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#17 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

If you change Wi-Fi routers, where is the setting located to scan for the new Wi-Fi device? I keep getting "Congratulations you are connected to the Internet" when it is not.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#18 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

If you used the same SSID and security type / key, it should be transparent. Otherwise, you'd have to go into the GUI of the WCCK or bridge device you're using.

Edit: Marcus, I just noticed your signature and it looks like you're a Dish sub. I have no idea.

#19 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's for my brother in-law. He has a completely different router going from WEP to WPA2, the router requires a 16 char security key and will not take a shorter one like his old router. So the question again is what is the menu settings sequence on the Genie to change to a different SSID and key. He keeps getting India CSR's that tell him if Network setup says you are connected to the Internet then it is. He can't download VOD and Network Test fails. Direct other option is to send a tech to his house for $100. To change the Wi-Fi connection?

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#20 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's for my brother in-law. He has a completely different router going from WEP to WPA2, the router requires a 16 char security key and will not take a shorter one like his old router. So the question again is what is the menu settings sequence on the Genie to change to a different SSID and key. He keeps getting India CSR's that tell him if Network setup says you are connected to the Internet then it is. He can't download VOD and Network Test fails. Direct other option is to send a tech to his house for $100. To change the Wi-Fi connection?

If your brother in-law has a WCCK, then there is a reset button above the connectors. Press and hold until the lights go out.

Now the WCCK is back to "blank" factory settings.

On the Genie network setup select wireless and follow the steps.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...