Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FiOS TV VMS1100 Media Server & IPC1100 IP Client

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

This summary/informational post is a work-in-progress, please post any updates/corrections ...

Rumored for a while, and announced at CES 2013, the FiOS TV Media Server & IP Client:

http://newscenter.ve...dia-server-ces/

Server (VMS1100):

• 6 tuners
  • 1TB hard-drive wih eSATA port
  • Can support up to 5 VMS1100 clients
  • Can have two VMS1100's in a household
  • Does it inter-operate with prior generation DVRs (7232, 7216, ...) and/or Receivers (7100, ...)?
  • Support for wireless clients?
  • Ability to run native HTML5 apps?
  • Ability to transcode a recording for download to a mobile device?

Client (IPC1100):

• Communicates with Server over IP network
  • Can pause "live" TV
  • Can play recordings from up to two Servers
  • Not yet sure if it has a tuner, think not because you can pause "live" TV, but have seen reference to it having a tuner, we'll see ...

Rumored availability is September 2013
No pricing information available

Edited by Sixto, 05 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.
Added transcode question

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

I hear the server will have the ability to transcode.. I like the idea of that in whatever future form it might have.

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

I hear the server will have the ability to transcode.. I like the idea of that in whatever future form it might have.

Yep, they don't have any ability to download a DVR recording today that I'm aware of. Will add that transcode statement to the summary above.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,535 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

/steve

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Now starting to wonder whether the 7232 & 7100 would be able to access the VMS1100. Originally thought that all old equipment was incompatible, but now not sure since the 7232 and 7100 have IP capability. It will be interesting if the tuner-based IP capable older gear will be capable of at least accessing the recordings on the VMS1100. Very little information is available.

#6 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Now starting to wonder whether the 7232 & 7100 would be able to access the VMS1100. Originally thought that all old equipment was incompatible, but now not sure since the 7232 and 7100 have IP capability. It will be interesting if the tuner-based IP capable older gear will be capable of at least accessing the recordings on the VMS1100. Very little information is available.

The latest rumor has been "September", from a cable show in May, but it's been very quiet, with also no mention by the CFO on the last analyst call.

It seems to have been confirmed that the 7232 and 7100 will not be able to access recordings on the VMS1100. Still hopeful that someday the IPC1100 will be able to utilize it's internal tuner and not need to steal a tuner from the VMS1100.

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

At least they're talking about it again: http://www.fiercecab...alls/2013-09-24

#8 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

It's mid February '14...any updates?? 

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

It's mid February '14...any updates??

http://www.fiercecab...d-q1/2014-01-30
  • Cobra611 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this one. End of first quarter is 3/31. "Begin deployment" just means they will ship the first production unit by then.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this one. End of first quarter is 3/31. "Begin deployment" just means they will ship the first production unit by then.

Deployment has apparently started, as some people have reported ordering the VMS system here: http://www.dslreport...ming-~start=150

#12 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Deployment, in a limited number of locations (reportedly around NYC, PA and Texas) is live.  Some users are reporting their results over at DSLReports.

Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#13 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone ordered a VMS yet?

They've completely priced themselves out of my interest.  With my "free multi room DVR for life" promo, I'm completely disincented from even considering the VMS!

#14 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

They've completely priced themselves out of my interest.  With my "free multi room DVR for life" promo, I'm completely disincented from even considering the VMS!

I was about to today. For me it's $4 LESS than my current 3 DVR's (I don't have the FFL deal) but then I figured there was no real advantage EXCEPT I'd have 1 single program list which I like but I'd be losing 500MB storage on 3DVR vs. VMS.  Same 6 tuners so nothing gained there.  Was also considering the "advanced" version (2 VMS servers) for $6 MORE than the 3 DVR's I have but then I would still have 2 separate playlists but 12 tuners vs 6 and 2 gig vs 1.5.  Don't really need all the tuners or storage sooooo, for the moment I'm sticking with what I have,

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Can you add a esata drive and increase it's storage?

#16 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

Can you add a esata drive and increase it's storage?

The VMS doesn't yet support external storage. Rumor is in future.

#17 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I've had one for a couple months now.  Our market was one of the first to have it available.  I have a VMS server and 2 IP clients.  Overall I love the set up,  They need to turn on some features (eSATA expansion, streaming to other devices, e.g.), and the s/w at first was slow and buggy.  But they've been aggressive at upgrading the s/w.  I still hit some bugs from time to time, but the slowness is gone.  The best feature for me isn't the 6 tuners or the 1TB internal drive (as nice as they are) - it's the integration between the boxes.  The integration is utterly seamless.  The ip boxes are positively tiny.

Also, if the IP boxes lose connectivity with server they do get a number of channels in.  At that point the boxes would act like a true IP box, and you would get all the same channels that are available on the iPad app, e.g.

#18 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

I went in to get an HD receiver, to go along with the 2 DVR's we already have. Was told it would be $1 more a month to go with the media server and the 2 clients. So, they ordered it and should be here in the next few days. Now, I gotta watch about 75 hrs. of saved programs real soon!!

#19 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

I went in to get an HD receiver, to go along with the 2 DVR's we already have. Was told it would be $1 more a month to go with the media server and the 2 clients. So, they ordered it and should be here in the next few days. Now, I gotta watch about 75 hrs. of saved programs real soon!!

You have a month to return your old DVR. Here's a tip. If you don't unplug the electrical power, you can keep it up and running until you watch all your recordings. It doesn't need the coax connected to watch what you already have recorded. However, if you unplug the electrical power it will not reboot without the coax. That's a problem because once you connect the new VMS system, the old DVRs will not operate properly. (That make sense?) :) 

#20 OFFLINE   bcab17

bcab17

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

I'm getting ready to go with a FiOS triple play package utilizing the VMS1100 and four IPC1100's...but I have not been able to find any specs or user manuals online for these boxes. Does anyone have a link for this?

I'd like to connect these new devices the same way as I have the four DTV boxes that I'm replacing. For example, in my main room I want to connect the VSM via HDMI to my TV, but I would also like to connect an s-video and composite L-R audio to a DVD recorder...but I have no idea if the VSM has any of these "legacy" outputs.

For two of the three rooms that will get the IP clients, one TV is not HD (s-video + composite audio), and another is an old HD TV (DVI or component video + optical or composite audio). Do the IP boxes have any of these outputs or do they only have HDMI?

spam firewall