Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH syncs out with Channel Provider

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Jhukes (ID: BZV): Hi, my name is Jhukes (ID: BZV). How may I help you?
Michael D: I have a question about my SYFY channel
Jhukes (ID: BZV): Hello, Michael!  How are you doing today?

Michael D: i live in California and its been up to some debate which feed we are getting, east coast or west coast
Michael D: on the SYFY channel website it shows they do in fact host a west coast feed
Jhukes (ID: BZV): Sure! don't worry, let's work together to get this one resolved for you.
Jhukes (ID: BZV): For security purposes, would you please verify the 4 digit Security Code on the account?
Michael D: sure hold on
Jhukes (ID: BZV): Thank you.
Jhukes (ID: BZV): Thank you.
Jhukes (ID: BZV): As I can see on the account, Michael. You are on the Western arc, So you are getting west coast.
Michael D: So there is a separate WEST COAST feed correct ? and if SYFY advertises a show for 9pm PST i should be able to view it at 9pm and not 6pm correct?
Jhukes (ID: BZV): That is correct.
Michael D: Thank you!
Jhukes (ID: BZV): You're welcome.

Jhukes (ID: BZV): Would there be anything else?

Michael D: none tonight =)

So basically YES there is a separate WEST COAST feed. I understand all of your hard earned attempts to defend DISH but instead of conversating without evidence I did my homework ,went to live chat and called the company as well. You're "unquestionable without a doubt single feed" is BS.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Dish does not carry a west-coast specific feed for Syfy.

Everyone that subscribes to Dish Network from Hawaii to Puerto Rico gets the same feed of Syfy.  That's not even up for debate.  It is simple fact.

If you need further evidence this is SYFY's own website.....scroll down just a little to where it distinguishes the WEST COAST FEED.

http://www2.syfy.com/faq/syfyfaq.php

#23 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

I find it amazing there was so many opinions about DISH shared that where so incorrect. In fact DISH does have (and is prone to) Syncing errors with its channel providers. YES there most certainly are separate coastal feeds for its providers and I was absolutely correct on when the show should have aired. I find it amazing so many subscribers found it hard to believe that DISH has these issues with a satellite feed. was I upset I missed my show? Certainly after planning my day around it. Is it the end of the world? No. I was simply curious if more subscribers have had this issue.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ok ... either you are really unlucky with CSRs or you're making this up.

Here are the facts: Ignore what you are posting from DISH chats.

DISH carries ONE feed nationwide of most national channels, including SyFy.
That ONE feed, whether you pick it up from Eastern or Western Arc is the EASTERN TIME feed.
The EPG for the ONE feed that DISH carries is available on your satellite receiver ... please use it to determine what time programming will air via DISH.

There are a handful of national channels with West feeds ... they are:
171NICKWNickelodeon West
173DISWDisney (West)
177TOONWCartoon Channel West
217IONWION West
272/831UNIMWUniMás (West)
303HBO-WHBO West
304HBO2WHBO 2 West
311MAX-WCinemax West
319SHO-WShowtime West
329TMC-WThe Movie Channel West
330TMCXWThe Movie Channel Xtra West
341ENCRWEncore West
351STRZWStarz! West
828UNVSWUnivision West
836TMDOWTelemundo (West)

(And regardless of them being "west" feeds most are available to all subscribers on both Eastern and Western Arcs.)

Please note the absence of SyFy from that list.

One more time just to be clear ... the ONLY feed of SyFy that DISH carries is the EASTERN TIME feed ... delivered to ALL of their customers from Maine to Hawaii.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

That ONE feed, whether you pick it up from Eastern or Western Arc is the EASTERN TIME feed.
The EPG for the ONE feed that DISH carries is available on your satellite receiver ... please use it to determine what time programming will air via DISH.

171NICKWNickelodeon West
173DISWDisney (West)
217IONWION West
303HBO-WHBO West
304HBO2WHBO 2 West
311MAX-WCinemax West
319SHO-WShowtime West
341ENCRWEncore West
351STRZWStarz! West
828UNVSWUnivision West
836TMDOWTelemundo (West)

(And regardless of them being "west" feeds most are available to all subscribers on both Eastern and Western Arcs.)

One more time just to be clear ... the ONLY feed of SyFy that DISH carries is the EASTERN TIME feed ... delivered to ALL of their customers from Maine to Hawaii.

YOU are the one that is completely and utterly wrong and yes, I have a smile on my face as I type this.

#26 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

171NICKWNickelodeon West
173DISWDisney (West)
217IONWION West
303HBO-WHBO West
304HBO2WHBO 2 West
311MAX-WCinemax West
319SHO-WShowtime West
341ENCRWEncore West
351STRZWStarz! West
828UNVSWUnivision West
836TMDOWTelemundo (West)

Also WRONG...ouch that hurts....it's even on their own website! http://www2.syfy.com/faq/syfyfaq.php

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I live on the west coast. Could you explain the West Coast Feed?

The West Coast feed is a separate feed of Syfy that runs according to Pacific Time. Before we had the feed, a show listed as airing at "9 p.m." ran at 9 p.m. only in the Eastern time zone, which meant that viewers in the Pacific time zone would see the show at 6 p.m. Now that the West Coast feed is in place, shows listed as 9 p.m. run at that time in both the Eastern and Pacific time zones. Please note that if you have DirecTV, the DISH NETWORK, or a c-band dish you will remain on the East Coast feed, as will certain digital cable subscribers. Also, not all of Syfy's Western cable affiliates may have the necessary equipment to utilize the new feed, so in those markets viewers will still see Syfy's East Coast broadcast. If you're not sure which feed you are receiving, please contact your local cable or satellite provider for details.

Additional size added.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Additional size added.

I guess you are not used to change try calling DISH and speaking with them. I also enjoyed the fact you said "ignore the chats" considering that is also DISH talking. I'm sorry you run the company right? No.....damn and you are so knowledgeable!

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

YOU are the one that is completely and utterly wrong and yes, I have a smile on my face as I type this.

Also WRONG...ouch that hurts....it's even on their own website! http://www2.syfy.com/faq/syfyfaq.php

You do realize that quoting my post twice and saying I'm wrong twice does not make you right?

Check the EPG on your receiver for the times that shows air via DISH Network.

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

At this point I'm inclined to think you are either the most unlucky person in the world, to keep getting people in Dish chats that are clueless about their own company's channels... OR you're just making stuff up to troll.

I really really really have wanted to give the benefit of the doubt here, because I know some Dish employees are clueless and do give out wrong info.  You wouldn't be the first or the last to come here with wrong info from a chat or a phone call.

But everything I, and especially James who went to a lot of effort to compile a list of all Dish actual west-coast time-shifted feeds, have been saying that you are completely dismissing makes me wonder.

• RasputinAXP likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#31 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

You do realize that quoting my post twice and saying I'm wrong twice does not make you right?

Check the EPG on your receiver for the times that shows air via DISH Network.

I have. I also physically called DISH like you do with any technical issue with your provider and spoke with two different live chat representatives from DISH who....you guessed it....work for the company and have the information at their fingertips. You are in the wrong here. Every single day for the last year that I have watched SYFY I have always watched their programming PST and it never failed! The night they do run out of sync and I call it out and discover after some lengthy conversations that it was DISH's fault, that it was an error that does occur with their programming, I get a crew of subscribers that apparently do not know their provider as well as they thought they did.

#32 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

At this point I'm inclined to think you are either the most unlucky person in the world, to keep getting people in Dish chats that are clueless about their own company's channels... OR you're just making stuff up to troll.

I really really really have wanted to give the benefit of the doubt here, because I know some Dish employees are clueless and do give out wrong info.  You wouldn't be the first or the last to come here with wrong info from a chat or a phone call.

But everything I, and especially James who went to a lot of effort to compile a list of all Dish actual west-coast time-shifted feeds, have been saying that you are completely dismissing makes me wonder.

This is where I kindly invite anyone to either call DISH itself or hop on live chat and you will get the same information I have. As I have stated I have previously watched all of my shows PST before Monday. The proof is in the pudding.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Like I said, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that you are getting wrong info from Dish... but believe us... what we are saying is 100% true.  James listed the only handful of west coast feeds that Dish carries... and those are actually available to east coast customers as well.

In fact, many of us on the east coast are actually using that same western arc as you... so we are very aware of the lack of west-coast specific feeds for the overwhelming majority of channels that Dish carries.

Now, I grant you it can be confusing if you are being given wrong info from Dish employees... I appreciate your frustration in that... but we are absolutely correct in what we have been telling you in this thread, whether you choose to believe us or not.

You can verify this yourself by observing the EPG on your Dish receiver and seeing the air-times of any episode you choose from Syfy, for example... and see that it is airing at times consistent with the eastern time-zone scheduled airings.

We can argue in circles all day about it... but the truth is the truth, and if you're getting wrong info from Dish then I do feel for you on that point.

#34 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Like I said, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that you are getting wrong info from Dish... but believe us... what we are saying is 100% true.  James listed the only handful of west coast feeds that Dish carries... and those are actually available to east coast customers as well.

In fact, many of us on the east coast are actually using that same western arc as you... so we are very aware of the lack of west-coast specific feeds for the overwhelming majority of channels that Dish carries.

Now, I grant you it can be confusing if you are being given wrong info from Dish employees... I appreciate your frustration in that... but we are absolutely correct in what we have been telling you in this thread, whether you choose to believe us or not.

You can verify this yourself by observing the EPG on your Dish receiver and seeing the air-times of any episode you choose from Syfy, for example... and see that it is airing at times consistent with the eastern time-zone scheduled airings.

I am not stating ALL of their channels carry separate feeds but the one in Question, SYFY does carry a west coast feed through DISH network and yes that is what I receive.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I am not stating ALL of their channels carry separate feeds but the one in Question, SYFY does carry a west coast feed through DISH network and yes that is what I receive.

And that's what we are very clearly telling you is impossible.  Dish does not carry a west-coast specific feed for Syfy.  Dish carries one feed for Syfy, and east coast + west coast customers get the same feed.  Arguing about it will not make it so.  Syfy's own Web site even informs you of this in their fine print which has been quoted here multiple times that you keep ignoring and I think you even provided that link to the info on Syfy's Web site.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Every single day for the last year that I have watched SYFY I have always watched their programming PST and it never failed!

Via which provider?

Had a big issue with DISH tonight. I work a very technical job at a Telecommunications Company in Newark, CA. I rarely watch television but lately I have enjoyed SYFY's new show "Defiance" and planned my day today on viewing it at its regular show time of Monday nights at 9pm.

Via which provider?

By the way ... note in the second quote you say "I rarely watch television" but in the first quote yiu say "Every single day for the last year that I have watched SYFY". Those statements are in conflict.

Apparently the Satellite Network can un-sync itself from the channel provider on occasion and you may be hours ahead or hours behind the channel provider's scheduled programming.

Not possible. DISH receives the feed live from SyFy and retransmits it immediately. DISH's signals cannot get hours out of sync.

Being one who likes to solve problems my suggestion would be to get a DISH DVR (if you do not already have one), set it to record the shows you wish to view and watch them whenever you want. In the case of this SyFy program, your DISH DVR would record the feed at 6pm PST and you would be able to watch it whenever you wanted ... even at 9pm PST.

Best wishes in your future television viewing.

#37 OFFLINE   SRsage

SRsage

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

This is a Third (omg) conversation I just had with a Supervisor at Dish. Also I just got off the phone with my DISH provider and they assured me they are correct and will also send a Tech to my home Monday to check my feed. That's really all I can tell you folks.

Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Hi, my name is Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ). How may I help you?
Michael D: Hi..I apologize you must be the third live chat person I have spoken to
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): No problem.
Michael D: But there is a question that begs answer
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): I will be happy to assist you with your concern.
Michael D: I live in California on the west coast

Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Alright.
Michael D: I have been viewing SYFY channel as it states it's PST times  and have not had an issue with them until Monday night
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): I see.
Michael D: the program looks like it was one hour off it's pacific schedule and aired at 8pm instead of 9pm
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): I understand.
Michael D: I went to a forum and asked there if a west coast signal for SYFY channel goes through DISH
Michael D: they seem to think it does not
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Okay.
Michael D: I checked with SYFY and called DISH and they both said it does
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Okay.
Michael D: I want to make 100% sure that I am either receiving west coast programming or need to adjust my schedule to suit east coast times
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): We do have Syfy Channel on 122. Please be advised that the scheduled programming is out of DISH's control as this is determined by the Syfy Channel itself. However, you can make sure that you have your schedule correctly by simply following the time slots of the programming on this channel.

Michael D: That's a good answer and also why I contacted SYFY as well. The programming up until Monday night was right on PST timezone. I was told that DISH had a syncing issue and that is why it went out of it's normal time Monday night
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): I understand. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Please give me a moment while I check my resources regarding that.
Michael D: Appreciate that
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): No problem.
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Thank you for waiting while I check. There are no known issues or updates regarding this. However, I can recommend we follow the Syfy Channel schedule at the meantime for you to be able to receive the programming according to your preferred time. I will be happy to note the account regarding this and flag the management of this issue so we can look further into it. Will this be alright?
Michael D: I'd appreciate that
Michael D: I'm a bit confused why out of the blue my programming times would change
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Thank you for your patience, Michael. I'm sorry for any trouble this may have caused you.
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): I understand. I apologize for the confusion. I have noted the account for you.
Michael D: Thank you. One last question
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Sure.
Michael D: does DISH carry an east coast feed only for SYFY ?
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): As shown from my resources, we carry both feeds.
Michael D: I was told that earlier as well Thank you. When I called DISH they assured me I was on their west coast feed. I appreciate your time.
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): You're welcome.
Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): Was I able to cover all of your concerns today?
Michael D: Yes Thank you.

This is information five times now from the same company who is providing me my service. I would think they would know what information they are giving to me. I think the problem lies in the fact that most of you live on the east coast and DISH originally serviced all of it's subscribers with a single east coast feed. You folks would never know if your programs where out of sync. So I grant that this may be a west coast issue only, but as  I have stated, by calling my provider and having numerous other discussions with them they stated that the signal did go out of sync with the programming and that yes I do receive a west coast feed for SYFY. I had to email SYFY and I got the same response from them only with the added "You need to contact your service provider to be sure"

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): We do have Syfy Channel on 122. Please be advised that the scheduled programming is out of DISH's control as this is determined by the Syfy Channel itself. However, you can make sure that you have your schedule correctly by simply following the time slots of the programming on this channel.

In other words - Please use the EPG provided on your receiver(s).

#39 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

14 million + Dish customers and either you are the only person who watches this show or no one else in the Dish universe who actually wanted to watch it had a problem watching it.

Oh yeah and...

Elisa Mary Jane (ID: 5UJ): We do have Syfy Channel on 122. Please be advised that the scheduled programming is out of DISH's control as this is determined by the Syfy Channel itself.

#40 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

This thread is worthy of the SyFy channel. This "unsyncing" device which allows a 9PM show to be shown at 6PM seems to be a combination of a DVR and a Time Machine. :D

spam firewall