Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH syncs out with Channel Provider

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Sometimes I feel sorry for the CSRs ...

DISH Network provides satellite service nationally from the 119 and 110 satellite slots ... which is now called "Western Arc". Despite the name, this is nationwide service. Subscribers all over the US have their dishes pointed at the "Western Arc".

On the Western Arc, specifically on transponder 8 of the satellite at 119, there is a feed of SyFy. One feed, on channel 122, serving the entire US. Subscribers from Maine to Hawaii have their dishes aimed at 119 picking up that feed of SyFy. For HD subscribers there is a second feed of SyFy (on transponder 7 of the satellite at 119). This feed also serves customers nationwide. All programs air at the same time on the SD and HD feeds.

And that is the "Western Arc" feed of channel 122 SyFy on DISH Network. Not the pacific time zone feed of the channel (it cannot be since those channels serve customers across the entire nation from Puerto Rico to Hawaii) but the Western Arc feed.

There are additional feeds (one SD one HD) on "Eastern Arc" (transponders 25 and 28, respectively, of the satellite at 72.7). They are identical to the "Western Arc" feeds. ALL Eastern Time Zone. DISH carries the same feeds on both Arcs. That is probably what the harassed "Elisa Mary Jane" was seeing.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

I don't know what else to say.  The correct info has been provided by multiple people in this thread.  I kind of wish one of our Dish employees who post here would chime in, but I'm not even sure he would believe them at this point.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Also WRONG...ouch that hurts....it's even on their own website! http://www2.syfy.com/faq/syfyfaq.php

SRsage, could you please quote the specific part of that FAQ that you believe provides proof that you are correct.  Other people have quoted from that particular page a segment that seems to indicate that SyFy on Dish is only the Eastern feed.

Furthermore, go to your receiver right now and tell us what times next week it shows Defiance as airing.  Then we can compare that to what times our receivers say and see if those of us in EDT and CDT are different, after adjusting for time zones, or identical.  This will confirm whether they are separate feeds (since SyFy has their west-coast feed 2 hours off from their east coast one) or the same one.  We cannot go back in time to figure out why exactly your program aired at 9PM on premiere night.  All we can do is look to the future.

#44 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

A CSR is the LAST person I would rely upon to bolster my case.

They rarely can find the seat of their pants, much less know what is going on outside.

They only know what is told to them, anything outside their script is pulled from thin air.

Dish sends the same programming to both arcs of satellites except for spot beams and SyFy is not a spotbeamed channel.

Edited by Jim5506, 24 April 2013 - 06:35 AM.

• sigma1914 and RasputinAXP like this
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#45 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

There's only one thing left to do to this thread:

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#46 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Just get a DVR and be over with as a previous poster said.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#47 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

you are all feeding a troll, i'm not joining in on this flame war about whether or not Dish carries west coast feeds. and i feel bad for the CSRs who dealt with this troll too. 

Trolls gonna Troll. 

put a lock on this thread so we don't continue feeding the troll. 

• sigma1914 likes this
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#48 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

The OP at this point I have to think realized he misunderstood what the CSR said, and, was not going to admit there indeed is no west coast feed of SYFI on Dish. The mistake was his from the beginning thinking the show was on at a time it was not. And for the record, there is no "SYNC" problem per se. The guide can be off for various reasons as it can for Cable, and most times it's not the fault of the carrier. Maybe the OP is new to this, many of us are not.

#49 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,189 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeah obviously there was a big confusion here between the difference of a channel's East Coast feed and West Coast feed and Dish Network's Eastern Arc and the Western Arc which of course there's no relationship between. However I can very easily imagine a CSR being asked about a "west coast feed" for a channel and thinking the customer meant Dish's Western Arc.

Edited by tsmacro, 29 April 2013 - 10:20 AM.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...