Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why is Blockbuster at Home "very long wait" on so many movies?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well we could know more tomorrow when DISH releases last (or so) quarters financials.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:31 PM

Here is the main part of an email they sent me....... Generally, we work to send out the next title in your queue within 1 to 2 business days of our receipt of your return or report. However, there's a delay in sending your next rental because we are currently showing that you do not have enough "Available" titles in your queue to complete the requested shipment.

To ensure consistency in shipping, we recommend keeping 10 or more available titles in your Queue. You can also set your preferences for shipments based on Speed vs. Queue order. Go to Settings; select your Shipping Preference; and click on "Save."

To have 10 available in my queue, I would have to have 150 in my queue. Now I have 32 in my queue and 2 are available. The sad thing is you never know if its available until you add it to your queue. It should be that if you have one that is available, it gets shipped out! Why do you need 10?

#23 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

"However, there's a delay in sending your next rental because we are currently showing that you do not have enough "Available" titles in your queue to complete the requested shipment. . . ."

That is rich. All the selections in my queue were available when I put them there. It was long after I had been getting routine weekly discs and they stopped that all my selections were recategorized. And I didn't do it. So . . . how can I choose available titles when they can be arbitrarily recategorized? :nono2:

#24 OFFLINE   2Newfs

2Newfs

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm wondering why they bother with mailing disks at all. I have 14 movies in my queue. The last one was returned on February 4. I have not received another one since. One would think even a high demand movie would be sent out in three months. I have all the movie packages so once the movies hit HBO etc. I really am not interested in the disk any longer.

#25 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Echostar bonds were downgraded this week.  I read the credit report.  They are getting dinged for running an old business model.  Sure.  But what was interesting on the nagatives is - lack of differentation over competitiors, stinginessy on programming, money potentially due to Voom, a huge tax (1b) if the wireless spectrum gets the waiver needed to use it for intended purposes, and lack of opaqueness of management.  On the plus is the even with the lack of opaquemness, they generally like Charlie's decisions.  If the spectrun gets set into usable form, they figured 5-6b for a buildout, spread over years that is possible to finance with even more debt.  All interesting stuff.

So not buying any disks is a bad sign that they are giving up a key to differentation - at least from Comcat and DTV.  The idea was they would pitch us at Blockbuster for new cell phones when we were swappign out the movies.  I they get a wireless broadband system with enought bandwith to stream HD, and cover my cell phones for less that Verizon, for a decent price, Charlie can have all of that business from me.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#26 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Got my first disc in weeks yesterday. Had Cloud Atlas in my queue as pending release and the second it was avaialbe I hit my queue and it said "availability" "NOW". So I move it to the top and it came yesterday. And it being one of "the" movies at the moment, I'm thoroughly surprised that the rest of the "old" movies in my list are still listed as "High" to "To Very High" demand. Even for Dredd that fell off the charts ages ago, is listed as "Very High Demand". The movie's junk so that makes no sense. So obviously something's up. Just happy to have gotten CA to see if it's worth it.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

If Dish is running Blockbuster like Blockbuster used to run...  they always ordered a bunch of the "hot" new releases to meet demand better... so in some ways you were more likely to get a new release in your queue than an older movie.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

and lack of opaqueness of management.  On the plus is the even with the lack of opaqueness

To paraphrase The Princess Bride, I don't think that word means what you think it means. I think what you were trying to say is a "lack of transparency". Unless of course you were trying to say Dish's management is indeed transparent, then in which case "lack of opaqueness" actually does work even if rather unconventually.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#29 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yea, that was backwards.  The opaqueness is bad, which is a lack of transparancy.  S&P used the opaqueness term.

To paraphrase The Princess Bride, I don't think that word means what you think it means. I think what you were trying to say is a "lack of transparency". Unless of course you were trying to say Dish's management is indeed transparent, then in which case "lack of opaqueness" actually does work even if rather unconventually.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#30 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I've recently gotten "We have shipped the next Blockbuster disc" e-mails within 24 hours of putting my previous dic in the mail.  That's excellent.  For instance, I returned a disc to the post office on Saturday afternoon and this morning (Monday) I found an e-mail from Dish.

Did Dish start doing something with the post office -- perhaps they paid for tracking of each disc envelope so they are notified nightly what discs are in the mail at the moment?  Regardless, this is one improvement of the service.

I have seen this happening as well-though it seems that how, or where I mail something back, affects the turn around, i.e., I dropped a disc to return, at my supermarket's mail slot, and got the "shipping next disc" email the next day. Dropping the disc into my own mailbox, or a public box, may result in 6 to 8 days before I get that same email.

Though I typically watch films from several sources, I would hate to see BB go away, as it has been so convenient to take note of a film (old, new, or as yet unreleased), that we might want to see, put it in my queue, and forget about it until it arrives one day.

As I have said before, elsewhere, it helps a lot if one has many films one wants to see (and not all brand new/out this week) placed in the queue. You are less likely to get a "long wait" notice.

#31 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

They don't even have a catagory for 3D movies.  I asked them why and they said "I have no idea". 

#32 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

They don't even have a catagory for 3D movies.  I asked them why and they said "I have no idea". 

I would say that they probably do not purchase 3-D copies, they cost extra and I doubt there would be high demand. I would settle for blu-ray copies of movies that I know are available on blu-ray, they can't even seem to manage that.

#33 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

I searched 3D and came up with lots of titles but very few clearly labeled 3D movies......even the Hugo's and Avatar's are not offered in the 3D format....BB is clearly not a leading movie rental provider, mail order rentals anyway.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#34 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

How many 3D Blu-ray releases are there?  I'm not poo-pooing it...  I'm just wondering as I have never seen more than one small area at any stores that I shop vs several aisles of other movies.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#35 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Up till a few months ago BB was working out great for me.  Today I get discs from Netflix (after the studio imposed wait) before I get them from BB.  It's very likely that I cancel BB soon.

I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#36 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

How many 3D Blu-ray releases are there?  I'm not poo-pooing it...  I'm just wondering as I have never seen more than one small area at any stores that I shop vs several aisles of other movies.

More than I thought.......http://www.blu-ray.c...eleasetimestamp

Thank you and
Best of luck

#37 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

The other day I received a "survey" in regard to my "Happiness" with Blockbuster @Home disc service, probably from the message I sent at the beginning of the year and never heard back. It looks as though their system thinks I had a reply to "survey". No. So I took this opportunity to voice my "concern".

I basically outlined what has been said here including that fact that many of us think they will be going away soon. Below is the reply I got. Funny their longevity was not addressed. And what is described for the way newer releases are handled is completely opposite to what I experienced and said so when I wrote.

Thank you for contacting Blockbuster at Home.

I understand that you are waiting for the titles in your queue to be shipped. Let me check your account and assist you with your concern.

Our product is a shared service, much like any video store or movie library, and is designed to give our customers access to high quality entertainment at a fair price point by serving a large set of subscribers. The high demand we typically encounter for newer releases means that it may take us several weeks to satisfy the request of every customer, despite the large quantity of titles we periodically add to our inventory.

The availability indicator gives an estimated amount of time before we should be able to ship your title. It is dependent upon many factors including the number of copies we have, the popularity of the title, and your Queue preference. Many factors determine availability status. Availability is based on inventory throughout all distribution centers. As titles are checked in throughout the day, the status may also change accordingly.

Your issue is very important to us and is a priority. The management is fully aware of the availability issue and we are now on the process of acquiring more copies of these titles. Rest assured that you'll see the improvement on our title availability at the soonest possible time.

In order to take the best advantage of our service, I would encourage you to add as many of our 100,000+ title selection to your queue as possible. This will allow us to keep a constant flow of titles between our network of distribution centers and your home.   

If there is anything else we may assist you with, please let us know.

Edited by FarmerBob, 23 May 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

I've written several e-mails complaining......never got a answer though, and surly never got asked to do a survey. I wonder how they pick'm to be surveyed...?  Maybe I'll get one.......not.....

Thank you and
Best of luck

#39 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

The problem with disc in the mail is that many of these movies are simply not available on instant streaming.  So in the mail or local rental is the only option.  I really like the BB disc in the mail combined with the extra movie channels on E*.  It's a good deal.  Really, I think that disc in the mail has many years left due to the limited availability of streaming. 

Our local blockbuster recently closed and it was the craziest thing.  A few months ago they cleaned up the store, stuck new "enter" and "exit" labels on the doors, installed new signage, and then they closed.  Maybe the marketing stuff was a last ditch effort to get up to some minimum sales level required to stay open?  How many local blockbuster stores are left?

Maybe E* could buy Redbox??????

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#40 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of movies released in 3D.  Why BB only stocks a few is a reason only they know. My last trwo included Green Lantern and Fright night. Both were very good.  I can't imagine why they don't stock more titles. If you buy a new TV today in the mid price range or higher it will most likely be 3D.  Since more and more customers buy new TV's every day it seems logical to assume that those folks might like to see what a 3D movie looks like without having to pay $30-$40 to buy a new release.  I believe the new Star Trek and the new Iron Man movies in thjeaters now are also available in 3D.  Red Box does not stock 3D movies either so maybe BB is missing an untapped source of new business.  Hey, it's only profits.

Edited by inazsully, 03 June 2013 - 06:30 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...