Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why is Blockbuster at Home "very long wait" on so many movies?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Blockbuster went out of business...  Dish bought them to get access to their customers and to their streaming content agreements...  Another round of store closings has been happening in recent months...  That surely answers the question of why there hasn't been investment to buy 3D or any movies in quantity for the rental business lately.

I am actually kind of surprised that Dish has kept the rental part of the business alive this long.

• 356B likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

The Blockbuster near me, in Homer Glen Il., just had a closeout sale and is now history.

#43 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

This seems reasonable, except that Dishnetwork added teh DVD rental as a bundled service witheh extra channels.  So they enticed people to joind, then let us down.  I tried redbox, but it seems primitive to make extra trips to return a free rental disc I didn't have time to watch so I woudl not get charged more.   

Blockbuster went out of business...  Dish bought them to get access to their customers and to their streaming content agreements...  Another round of store closings has been happening in recent months...  That surely answers the question of why there hasn't been investment to buy 3D or any movies in quantity for the rental business lately.

I am actually kind of surprised that Dish has kept the rental part of the business alive this long.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#44 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

This seems reasonable, except that Dishnetwork added teh DVD rental as a bundled service witheh extra channels. So they enticed people to joind, then let us down. I tried redbox, but it seems primitive to make extra trips to return a free rental disc I didn't have time to watch so I woudl not get charged more.

It depends on how far you lived from a Redbox kiosk. Like for me I have 2 that are around 6 minutes away. Something neat Redbox did is team with Verizon to offer a streaming service where you can get points to use for a free kiosk rental. Last I checked though, their streaming selection wasn't that good.

Edited by Volatility, 07 June 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

That's a cold answer Stewart but an apt indication of Dish's true concern for the good old customer.   We were baited plain and simple. Promise us this nice  package program then water it down to the point of irrelevence.

Edited by inazsully, 05 June 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

That's a cold answer Stewart but an apt indication of Dish's true concern for the good old customer.   We were baited plain and simple. Promise us this nice  package program then water it down to the point of irrelevence.

Yeah... It reads colder than I meant it...  I didn't mean to be cold to Dish customers...  it was more just a reality-accepting thing that I never expected Blockbuster to still be here this long.  I suggested some good ways to keep them around when the buyout first happened... but I never got the impression that Dish had a goal of keeping Blockbuster going.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#47 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

I suppose.  I look at an extra trip, even if its 6 minutes each way, as extra overhead.  Extra trips, like interest, are a drain on life, so I try to avoid them.  This seems to be the only reasonable option for me though.

It depends on how far you lived from a Redbox kiosk. Like for me I have 2 that are around 6 minutes away. Something neat Redbox did is team with Verizon to offer a streaming service where you can get points to use for a free kiosk rental. Last I checked though, their streaking selection wasn't that good.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#48 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I suppose. I look at an extra trip, even if its 6 minutes each way, as extra overhead. Extra trips, like interest, are a drain on life, so I try to avoid them. This seems to be the only reasonable option for me though.

True. I myself do not use Blockbuster at Home or Netflix or any kind of DVD by mail service as once you are past the new customer stage they throttle you on queue on some titles. Basically that is why it has very long wait. New customers have first dibs. Nothing wrong with that though, makes sense. One thing about Blockbuster at home I liked when I had it though is the video game option which is like Gamefly. That was a plus.

Edited by Volatility, 07 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   leechuck

leechuck

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I had this plan a few years ago and don't expect to get the new movies until 3 months later. Called customer service many times and transfer to an oversea department in the Phillipines who told me the new movies is based on priority. Right now, I trust Redbox. Even the remaining Blockbuster stores only get 5-10 copies per movie and never you walk in the store, you ill ind he new release titles.

#50 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I am not very concerned about BB stocking 3D movies for the mail service. That's a very small, niche market at this point.  Look at ESPN closing down its 3D network. BB needs to add more DVDs and more BluRay and skip 3D.   When 3D starts to get some market share, then BB could look to add 3D titles.

Thanks,

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#51 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

I am not very concerned about BB stocking 3D movies for the mail service. That's a very small, niche market at this point.  Look at ESPN closing down its 3D network. BB needs to add more DVDs and more BluRay and skip 3D.   When 3D starts to get some market share, then BB could look to add 3D titles.

Thanks,

I could not disagree more.  If it's a nitch market that's because BB doesn't even have a 3D catagory to look in. The only way to watch 3D on your 3D TV (Every mid-priced and up TV sold today is a 3D TV) is via blu-ray 3D movies.  There are hundreds of 3D movies out there right now and more being added every week.  The only available avenue to watch one is to buy it (very expensice @ over $35 retail on most).  Most 3DTV owners certainly at least want to try it and see if they like it. My wife and I love watching well made 3D movies (Avatar, Life of Pi, Ice Age, Shrek, Jurassic Park, Brave) on our TV. As do all of our friends and neighbors.  So many of the big release movies coming out (Lone Ranger etc) are available in 3D.  With tens of thousands of 3D TV's being sold this year alone how can BB not think there is a market.  Especially considering we will probably never see 3D on broadcast TV which makes blu-ray 3D the only game in town for anything 3D. Want to increase membership, offer something the other guys don't offer. 3D.  Do it first and do it BIG.  No "Very High Demand" or "High Demand".  Big stock ='s Big Happy Customers.  All those new 3D TV's = new members. Of course that's assuming Dish really wants new members.  That's quite debatable.

Edited by inazsully, 15 June 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I could not disagree more.  If it's a nitch market that's because BB doesn't even have a 3D catagory to look in. The only way to watch 3D on your 3D TV (Every mid-priced and up TV sold today is a 3D TV) is via blu-ray 3D movies.  There are hundreds of 3D movies out there right now and more being added every week.  The only available avenue to watch one is to buy it (very expensice @ over $35 retail on most).  Most 3DTV owners certainly at least want to try it and see if they like it. My wife and I love watching well made 3D movies (Avatar, Life of Pi, Ice Age, Shrek, Jurassic Park, Brave) on our TV. As do all of our friends and neighbors.  So many of the big release movies coming out (Lone Ranger etc) are available in 3D.  With tens of thousands of 3D TV's being sold this year alone how can BB not think there is a market.  Especially considering we will probably never see 3D on broadcast TV which makes blu-ray 3D the only game in town for anything 3D. Want to increase membership, offer something the other guys don't offer. 3D.  Do it first and do it BIG.  No "Very High Demand" or "High Demand".  Big stock ='s Big Happy Customers.  All those new 3D TV's = new members. Of course that's assuming Dish really wants new members.  That's quite debatable.

I agree.....

Thank you and
Best of luck

#53 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

I've been waiting for Trouble With The Curve for more than a month. It's readily available at any Redbox around here. I mainly keep BB@H for the extra channels so it doesn't bother me too much.

http://www.hbo.com/#...he Curve/577977

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#54 OFFLINE   TheSpider

TheSpider

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

dont even try video games maby day are more hard to get and i use to love ifc but then day went to running comershals 24 7

dan

spam firewall